Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications - Page 15

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Default Re: Firestone Air Helper Installation

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    What did it set you back?

Did it through Hein De Villiers and got it for R12k - in inclusive installation.
    2007 Jeep Wrangler 2.8 CRD Unlimited (Maggie)
    2002 Land Rover Td5 Hard Top (Thimba)

Default Re: Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

I know it's been addressed somewhere but, before I buy a set of (unseen) Hyundai Tucson 16" rims, just want to double check that they are a straight swap for the originals?
    Oh, and if anyone has a 5th.... that would be grand.
    2010 Grand Vitara 2.4 man, Stofpad radiator & belly plates & lift kit, 245/60R17 Firestone Destinations, Tucson rims

Quote Originally Posted by adiebear View Post
    I know it's been addressed somewhere but, before I buy a set of (unseen) Hyundai Tucson 16" rims, just want to double check that they are a straight swap for the originals?
    yes...they work great...get them...I have 6 ...two spares for Kalahari 😎

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 245/70R16 Conti World Contact 4x4 tyres

Quote Originally Posted by adiebear View Post
    Only centre bore differs: 67.1 mm on the Tucson, 60.1 mm on the GV. You can find spigot rings to fill the gap or some guys just use the rims without. Warning - there are people who are seriously concerned about using a rim without spigot rings.

Spot Lights

Who has fitted them to a GV without a Nudge Bar?
    How did you mount them?
    Pics?

I have an option if some LED spots (not a bar) to test long-term - not keen to chop too much bodywork if it can be avoided?

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    Only centre bore differs: 67.1 mm on the Tucson, 60.1 mm on the GV. You can find spigot rings to fill the gap or some guys just use the rims without. Warning - there are people who are seriously concerned about using a rim without spigot rings.
    60000km no issues no spigots....as the wheel nuts seat into the recessed holes in the rim I can not see how there would ever be an issue ...🙄

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    60000km no issues no spigots....as the wheel nuts seat into the recessed holes in the rim I can not see how there would ever be an issue ...
    Spigots would be ideal. Helps spread the load. I personally would prefer them, especially if easily available
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport / 2inch Jimnybits lift kit - AVO adjustable shocks / Adjustable panhard rods / 235/75r15 Kumho KL51

True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%
    Ex: 2010 Suk Grand Vitara
    Ex: Toyota Yaris TS

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by daveysmith View Post
    60000km no issues no spigots....as the wheel nuts seat into the recessed holes in the rim I can not see how there would ever be an issue ...🙄
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivar View Post
    Spigots would be ideal. Helps spread the load. I personally would prefer them, especially if easily available
    Davey, my personal opinion is the same as yours - I don't believe the spigots do anything except centering the mag before tightening the nut. Mine is made from a plasticky polymer - definitely not the best material for a structural purpose.

I feel that if the wheels have tapered lug nuts, then the spigots shouldn't be necessary, but I'm no expert.

Davey, my personal opinion is the same as yours - I don't believe the spigots do anything except centering the mag before tightening the nut. Mine is made from a plasticky polymer - definitely not the best material for a structural purpose.

I feel that if the wheels have tapered lug nuts, then the spigots shouldn't be necessary, but I'm no expert.
    yep Piet.. .think this gives a good idea of the load bearing surface ...I can't see how a piece of plastic is going to change that. I'll give an update either way once I reach 150 000km on these 😉

The spigot rings don't carry any load - its a thing plastic ring that can break even if you force it into the rim hole by hand. It only makes the wheel replacement and placing easier. The nuts centre the wheel and carry load.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GKE For This Useful Post:

You will be OK without spigots. No load on the inner ring.
    Sent from my iPhone

It will be ok without spigots. But when changing tyres its easier to put the tyres back
    2008 Suzuki Jimny - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Default Suzuki New Grand Vitara 2008+ Repairs & Modifications

My GV took a ride to the dealership on a flatbed. Throttle body failed completely on 172,000km. Symptoms to watch out for: heavier on fuel than usual, lack of pulling power, rough, intermittent idle and then eventually; the engine emissions warning light switching on periodically and finally, failure to rev higher than 2000rpm, gearbox limp mode. This series of events happened over the last 6 months. The throttle body is a sealed electronic unit and cannot be repaired by Suzuki.

Suzuki quoted around R20k including VAT, parts and labour(1h). Finally, I had them do the work for around R13k.

I also had them do a major service, replacement the pulleys and tensioner(R7), but supplied my own fan belt. I took out the old K&N and replaced with a paper filter.

I have replaced both lower control arms and will recon the old ones. (R10k). Amazon is a cheaper option, but I now have a 12 month warranty on the parts and labour. Best would be to take them out and press new bushes and ball joints into the trailing arms.

My front subframe and gearbox mountings are damaged due to off road work- R15k and 6 weeks waiting time for the parts to arrive from Suzuki EU.

Brake system clean and flush had to be done and I supplied my own brake pads- Ferodo FDB4060 for the front only. The rear shoes was done 3000km ago. Hand brake cable was tightened.

All in all, around R50k for quite a big job and the car now (again) pulls like a train, stops on a dime and uses 1.5km/100 less gas than before

Still pending: my alternator charges at only 13 volts and it should actually be around 14.2 volts for the big petrol V6. I will remove the alternator and have it fixed, it is likely to be failed brushes or regulator only.
    Last edited by Kierie; 2017/06/20 at 07:07 AM.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    VID Bash Plates
    Ironman Suspension(F 55mm /R 65mm)
    Suzuki Snorkel + K&N OEM filter
    General Grabber 245/70r16 OR:
    Kumho KL71 245/75r16
    Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack
    Garmin Nuvi 52LM with T4A
    Lead Crystal 120Ah with CTEK D250S and 80W Bushpower solar panel

Quote Originally Posted by Kierie View Post
    My GV took a ride to the dealership on a flatbed. Throttle body failed completely on 172,000km. Symptoms to watch out for: heavier on fuel than usual, lack of pulling power, rough, intermittent idle and then eventually; the engine emissions warning light switching on periodically and finally, failure to rev higher than 2000rpm, gearbox limp mode. This series of events happened over the last 6 months. The throttle body is a sealed electronic unit and cannot be repaired by Suzuki.

Suzuki quoted around R20k including VAT, parts and labour(1h). Finally, I had them do the work for around R13k.

I also had them do a major service, replacement the pulleys and tensioner(R7), but supplied my own fan belt. I took out the old K&N and replaced with a paper filter.

I have replaced both lower control arms and will recon the old ones. (R10k). Amazon is a cheaper option, but I now have a 12 month warranty on the parts and labour. Best would be to take them out and press new bushes and ball joints into the trailing arms.

My front subframe and gearbox mountings are damaged due to off road work- R15k and 6 weeks waiting time for the parts to arrive from Suzuki EU.

Brake system clean and flush had to be done and I supplied my own brake pads- Ferodo FDB4060 for the front only. The rear shoes was done 3000km ago. Hand brake cable was tightened.

All in all, around R50k for quite a big job and the car now (again) pulls like a train, stops on a dime and uses 1.5km/100 less gas than before
    3.2 or 2.4. With Tapatalk I dont see any signatures.
    Sent from my iPhone

Kierie = V6 3.2
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    VID Bash Plates
    Ironman Suspension(F 55mm /R 65mm)
    Suzuki Snorkel + K&N OEM filter
    General Grabber 245/70r16 OR:
    Kumho KL71 245/75r16
    Frontrunner Slimline II roof rack
    Garmin Nuvi 52LM with T4A
    Lead Crystal 120Ah with CTEK D250S and 80W Bushpower solar panel

Should I start worrying, I have both these symptoms...

Throttle body failed completely on 172,000km. Symptoms to watch out for: heavier on fuel than usual, lack of pulling power, rough, intermittent idle and then eventually.

and I am only on 93500km!

Quote Originally Posted by laserdash View Post
    Should I start worrying, I have both these symptoms...

Throttle body failed completely on 172,000km. Symptoms to watch out for: heavier on fuel than usual, lack of pulling power, rough, intermittent idle and then eventually.

and I am only on 93500km!
    2.4 or 3.2?
    Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Piet.
    2010 Grand Vitara 2.4 man, Stofpad radiator & belly plates & lift kit, 245/60R17 Firestone Destinations, Tucson rims

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    2.4 or 3.2?
    Also a 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by Kierie View Post

Still pending: my alternator charges at only 13 volts and it should actually be around 14.2 volts for the big petrol V6. I will remove the alternator and have it fixed, it is likely to be failed brushes or regulator only.
    Sorry mate, that's a bit harsh - glad all going well again!

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast