Electrickery for camping - Page 42

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Default Re: Electrickery for camping

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Perhaps you did not understand what I was commenting on.

Dungbeetle said: "In Phalaborwa you can easily get up to 1150W/m^2 in late November/December around noon
    Meaning your energy input could go up by almost 20%, that could lead to Voc reaching around 26 Volts !!"

A solar panel's voltage (Voc) does not increase linearly with incident light as per Dungbeetle's reasoning. Yet you said: "Well actually Eggie it does work like that." Well Fluffy, I can categorically inform you that it does not, and I can hardly believe you of all people said that. Your logic is flawed.
    Why are you suddenly aggressive and abusive ?

I am out of here.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/06/19 at 01:35 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Hi all,

On a lighter note..... I am in the process of installing a HCDP dc-dc in the van and a bit confused. In the current installation (without HCDP) all the negative feeds and returns are connected to the one pole of the shunt. Does it matter? Attached is a diagram of my proposed setup with the components that will be used (except for the battery make). I am specifically interested in the light grey lines on the diagram. I am of the opinion (limited I must add) that they are the nagative 'feeds' (ie Solar, Alternator, Charger) and should be connected directly to the battery negative terminal and the negative load's to the shunt whereas the current setup (without the HCDP) all the negatives are connected directly to the shunt. I am aware that the other side of the shunt must only have one connection directly to the negative pole of the battery

Please advise if I am on the wrong track here and if so why....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Happy are those that dream dreams and is willing to pay the price to make them come true

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    Hi all,

On a lighter note..... I am in the process of installing a HCDP dc-dc in the van and a bit confused. In the current installation (without HCDP) all the negative feeds and returns are connected to the one pole of the shunt. Does it matter? Attached is a diagram of my proposed setup with the components that will be used (except for the battery make). I am specifically interested in the light grey lines on the diagram. I am of the opinion (limited I must add) that they are the nagative 'feeds' (ie Solar, Alternator, Charger) and should be connected directly to the battery negative terminal and the negative load's to the shunt whereas the current setup (without the HCDP) all the negatives are connected directly to the shunt. I am aware that the other side of the shunt must only have one connection directly to the negative pole of the battery

Please advise if I am on the wrong track here and if so why....
    (Your lighter note is noted and welcomed. )

In the diagram you supplied: Remove the (black) connection between shunt & GND on the HCdP. If it stays, it will cause a ground loop that will result in unpredictable readings.

Perhaps a better approach is to not connect the battery negative to anything other than the shunt? The other side of the shunt then becomes the "new" negative to connect all your feeds and load negatives to, even the battery charger. The reason for this is that the Victron meter is capable of reading current in both directions, positive and negative.

What the meter will then display is the nett current either from or to your batteries. The sign on the display will tell you if the battery is charging or discharging. That way you always know if the battery is supplying power or whether it is receiving charge.
    Last edited by Eggie; 2018/06/19 at 03:44 PM.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Thank you for the feedback Eggie. It is highly appreciated and makes a lot of sense.

Just a last one for clarity on your new suggestion. The HCDP install guide indicates that the GND must be connected to the negative of the battery, but that is without a shunt. If I thus remove the current (black) wire from HCDP GND and the battery and connect all the grey wires to the shunt (having what you indicate a new negative) will all work as intended If I am not mistaken both GND on the HCDP are the same, ie. connected internally

This is why I like this forum
    Happy are those that dream dreams and is willing to pay the price to make them come true

Like This ?

(Yes, The 2 GNDs on the HcdP are the same connection)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2018/06/19 at 04:21 PM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) @ 800 000 km

Yes Dungbeetle. That is exactly what I meant. Thank you for updating the diagram. Without the multiple lines it makes even more sense.....

Thanks again Gents. It is highly appreciated

Here is my setup in my Echo3 trailer

(Of course your Victron monitor must have a shunt in the negative line, my HcdP 20A monitor is designed to work in the positive circuit)

Question - Are you charging from that location you labelled "Power Panel"
    If so, you cannot charge through the "+Load" connection on the 20A MPPT, you will have to connect the Power Panel positive to the "+Bat" connection.
    Look closely at my setup....(it is installed and working perfectly)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2018/06/19 at 07:10 PM.

So many replies somemany views. Where in the Western Cape can I take my DC Hilux for a 2nd battery system which will not drop me in Africa.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waals View Post
    So many replies somemany views. Where in the Western Cape can I take my DC Hilux for a 2nd battery system which will not drop me in Africa.

thanks
    I suggest you ask the guys at 4x4Direct to recommend someone
    Brackenfell 021-981-7189

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Here is my setup in my Echo3 trailer

(Of course your Victron monitor must have a shunt in the negative line, my HcdP 20A monitor is designed to work in the positive circuit)

Question - Are you charging from that location you labelled "Power Panel"
    If so, you cannot charge through the "+Load" connection on the 20A MPPT, you will have to connect the Power Panel positive to the "+Bat" connection.
    Look closely at my setup....(it is installed and working perfectly)
    Hi Dungbeetle

No, the ‘power panel’ in the picture is basically the ‘load’ component, ie lights, waterpump, 12v plugs, fridge, etc.

The ‘charge’ is either via the victron multiphase charger when on 220v, the solar panels when off-grid and the alternator when plugged into the Isuzu when driving. Both the alternator and panels work through the HCDP DC/DC charger which compensates for the voltage fluctuations from the alternator and also has a built-in mppt controller for the panels. I checked the panels (bought from 4x4Direct) over the weekend in late afternoon sun and both were showing 21V hence should be suffiecient to replenish the usage from a few led lights, the waterpump and a 90l NL.....

Thanks again for the advise
    Deon

Please share your final installed wiring diagram

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42