Electrickery for camping - Page 2

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Well done, Chris, this is in the same league as Stan's trip reports. All you have to do now is convince people to read it.
    Malcolm

Excellent thread with extremely valuable information.

I will make a print-out and file in my workshop at home for reference purposes!!

All my loose questions previously asked, combined in a nutshell!!

Thanks to all involved in getting this drafted and published, much appreciated!!

Now to the drawing board to put all the loose pieces together??

Damn.....waar was die goed toe ek so gesukkel het..... Great post Chris....moet verseker sticky wees....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by ELU View Post
    Excellent thread with extremely valuable information.

I will make a print-out and file in my workshop at home for reference purposes!!

All my loose questions previously asked, combined in a nutshell!!

Thanks to all involved in getting this drafted and published, much appreciated!!

Now to the drawing board to put all the loose pieces together??
    give me a day to update the photos into the Word file and you are welcome to the document....

should print a "bit" better than from the forum ...

PM me your email address and I will email it to you. (will see if I can attach the pdf here ...)

None of this info is my personal intellectual property, though I did use my own photos to not get into copyright issues. I merely spent a few Cape winter days in front of the fire place typing away and smiling at my own stupidity for not listening to the likes of Fluffy, SarelF etc first time round .... PAID my school fees on this topic !! Got that R 8 000 foldup panel to prove it, and destroyed a 12 month old deep cycle battery at Kgalagadi learning about the effect of 40 degree temperatures on a dual battery system (and the utter uselesness of a solar panel packed away inside a 4x4) ..... o-well, nice trip down memory lane typing up this stuff.

AND a stark reminder of just how little I know !! Look at how little I said about battery types ...

Mcowel IF people read it then they can avoid SOME school fees along the way.
    Last edited by ChrisF; 2014/06/05 at 09:00 AM.

Die mm square besigheid het my altyd ge-puzzle en kyk nou hoe maklik maak daai prentjie op die skryfblok die mental image....

en........jou engin is flippen skoon.....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Make this a sticky! Invaluable info - excellent job.

Chris after reading this I must take another look at my set up!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Die mm square besigheid het my altyd ge-puzzle en kyk nou hoe maklik maak daai prentjie op die skryfblok die mental image....

en........jou engin is flippen skoon.....
    uhm ja ... 100km op die klok toe begin ek al modify !!

Chris,

Great info here! That is the most practical down to earth (ground... pun intended) info on the topic I've ever seen!

Put that in a PDF file and please mods, make it a sticky in agreement with Mistral.
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009
    Nissan Almera platkar

Ek werk nog, want die bank wil dit so hę...

Thanks for thread!

Can I suggest adding a fuse to the link that charges the second battery as any unprotected cable is a fire risk. If the dc2dc charger or solar regulator is up against the second battery it may not be necessary, b u t should you have a short down to earth on the charge lead to the second battery and there is no fuse protection it could be catastrophic.
    Chris, I am into electrics, but I do not have a very organised brain. I must commend you on the way you simplified the whole thing. It simply will be the basis that I would work from.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Smap For This Useful Post:

Subscribed

Thanks for that Chris.

That sure took some effort to compile and type out, and show a serious commitment to sharing with fellow members.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny, M18A, EFS suspension, Maniac 4x4 Manufacturing bumpers, Stofpad underbody protection.
    Ex 1979 Mercedes Benz 416.162 Unimog
    Ex 1982 Datnis (mixed Datsun/Nissan badged) Safari 2.8 Pickup

Well done!!!

And so true, I was ticking the check boxes as I read it! I have done the whole journey myself, and tried to explain it to others.

Now I am going to keep a copy of this tread handy!

Dankie Chris!
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    give me a day to update the photos into the Word file and you are welcome to the document....

should print a "bit" better than from the forum ...

PM me your email address and I will email it to you. (will see if I can attach the pdf here ...)

None of this info is my personal intellectual property, though I did use my own photos to not get into copyright issues. I merely spent a few Cape winter days in front of the fire place typing away and smiling at my own stupidity for not listening to the likes of Fluffy, SarelF etc first time round .... PAID my school fees on this topic !! Got that R 8 000 foldup panel to prove it, and destroyed a 12 month old deep cycle battery at Kgalagadi learning about the effect of 40 degree temperatures on a dual battery system (and the utter uselesness of a solar panel packed away inside a 4x4) ..... o-well, nice trip down memory lane typing up this stuff.

AND a stark reminder of just how little I know !! Look at how little I said about battery types ...

Mcowel IF people read it then they can avoid SOME school fees along the way.
    We'll done.

Once you have the word doc done, just save it as a PDF from word and then add it as an attachment to a post.

The PDF version will be much smaller than the Word version.

If you version doesn't support that, Judy email it to me in any format and I will convert it for you.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    We'll done.

Once you have the word doc done, just save it as a PDF from word and then add it as an attachment to a post.

The PDF version will be much smaller than the Word version.

If you version doesn't support that, Judy email it to me in any format and I will convert it for you.
    converting pdf is easy .... I must now first get all the pics into the Word document ...

easy enough, just one more night in front of the braai fire playing on the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Smap View Post
    Can I suggest adding a fuse to the link that charges the second battery as any unprotected cable is a fire risk. If the dc2dc charger or solar regulator is up against the second battery it may not be necessary, b u t should you have a short down to earth on the charge lead to the second battery and there is no fuse protection it could be catastrophic.
    Chris, I am into electrics, but I do not have a very organised brain. I must commend you on the way you simplified the whole thing. It simply will be the basis that I would work from.
    Smap thanks for the feedback - will add it and update the post. (also now see I dont show a main fuse in the unprotected line feeding the power distribution box ..)

in my setup that lead is about 250mm long, NO place to short to earth ... but best to ensure a safe message goes out

Subscribed

A thread like this was long overdue, well done to Chris

Hi Chris.

Thanks for a very nice piece of work.

You mentioned "alternate model" batteries. Well, here is my 2 cents worth.

I replaced my lead acid deep cycle battery with a lead crystal one. The lead crystal is a phenomenal battery if compared to the older technology. A life expectancy of seventeen years is mentioned. However, what convinced me was a youtube clip where a lead acid and lead crystal battery was subjected to a side by side "destruction" test. Both were fully charged and discharged on a continuous basis. After two weeks the lead acid battery was dead. After six months the lead crystal battery was still performing like new. It was then left in storage in a discharged state, and after a while charged, and it was performing as if never neglected.

These batteries seems to be hard to come by. When I bought mine none were available in Cape Town.

They come in 90, 100 and 120 a/h sizes amongst others. The 120 is a bit too big for our battery boxes.

I bought the 100 a/h one and paid just over R 3000 for it. A Deltec 105 a/h lead acid deep cycle retails for R 1700.

Unlike lead acid deep cycle batteries which requires 14.2 volts to fully charge, apparently these batteries requires 14.4 to fill the last 10 %.

Just as a matter of interest, my Delphi Marine 105 a/h lead acid deep cycle battery has now done eleven years of camping applications, is still holding its charge at 12.8 volts. (Deltec replaced Delphi Marine)
    Last edited by Poen; 2014/06/05 at 12:34 PM. Reason: an afterthought
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Chris, goeie werk, sit net jou cell no ook hier
    Johan Kriel

LC's; PU, and Prado

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast