Electrickery for camping - Page 10

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

And all I can say is a big: BAIE BAIE DANKIE Chris. Nou is ek lekker windgat.
    Paul Bothma ("Ore" so ken my familie my)
    2014 2.2 Ford Ranger XLS 4x4

Brilliant!!!!!
    Dirk
    Member - 4x4 Community
    Member - 4x4 Action Group (0044)
    Member - V Owners Group (VOG 081)
    Member - patrol4x4 forum

Baie baie spiekeries Chris. Hier is 'n job wat vir jou wag in Bobbejaansberg

Dankie vir die rapport nou kan ander mense ook hieruit leer
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for Metalian & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Excellent and very neatly done. No spagetti juctions. On my phone I cant puckup where you installed the 2nd battery, will have a closer look later
    Bertie

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Excellent and very neatly done. No spagetti juctions. On my phone I cant puckup where you installed the 2nd battery, will have a closer look later
    Oom Bertie dis net langs die water tenk - net agter die bestuurder in die bak, BY (net onder) die elektriese paneel. So die draad lengte tussen die laaier en die battery is so kort as moontlik.

OK dom vraag van my af

Ek is besig om n 2de battery agter in my bakkie te installeer. Basiese stelsel bestaande uit NL Intelligent Solenoid, 16mm˛ kabel, ens.

Is ek reg as ek se daar kom n fuse tussen die (+) punt van die hoof battery en die Cole hersee input en dan nog n fuse tussen die CH output en die aux battery se (+) punt? en watter grootte fuse moet ek gebruik op die onderskeie punte?

Die NL kit gee twee fuse sizes - 100A en 50A, maar gaan daai twee fuses ooit blaas as iets wel verkeerd loop?
    André
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Resurrected
    Platkar (Hers) Ford Figo 1.4TDCi

JA, as daai rooi draad deurskaaf POP daai fuse vrek vinnig !

die idee met die fuses is as n rooi draad vanaf die battery gaan word dit gefuse.

dus daar waar jy koppel aan die eerste battery - sit die fuse BY die battery

ek doen dan dieselfde by die tweede battery -

then connect to the "far" side of the fuse at the 2nd battery - thus all loads are also protected by this single fuse. Less clutter and the same level of protection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.JPG 
Views:	1896 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	326067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6709 (Large).jpg 
Views:	1887 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	326071  

Kon die sonpaneel op die dak? Of is dit los?

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    JA, as daai rooi draad deurskaaf POP daai fuse vrek vinnig !

die idee met die fuses is as n rooi draad vanaf die battery gaan word dit gefuse.

dus daar waar jy koppel aan die eerste battery - sit die fuse BY die battery

ek doen dan dieselfde by die tweede battery -

then connect to the "far" side of the fuse at the 2nd battery - thus all loads are also protected by this single fuse. Less clutter and the same level of protection.
    Dankie Chris. Ek neem dan aan dat die 100A fuse voor by die hoof battery en die 50A fuse by die aux battery dan reg is?
    André
    1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - Resurrected
    Platkar (Hers) Ford Figo 1.4TDCi

Quote Originally Posted by Subok View Post
    Kon die sonpaneel op die dak? Of is dit los?
    The RTT does not leave any space above the canopy to permanently mount the solar panel. It does provide ample space if you want to fit a slide between the canopy and RTT.

PERSONALLY - I would have gone for Thule bars and mounted the solar during trips.

Paul opted for a loose solar panel. It is inside the RTT when he travels. For the type of trips he is planning the solar wont be used often, AND he prefers to park in the shade with a lead to the solar panel.

for this type of setup, with a person spending more than a week in Namibia or Kgalagadi, AND who parks off with limited driving, in this case I would strongly recommend the panel on Thuli bars. but it is a very personal choise and depends on YOUR driving habits - with these dc-dc chargers we are not that dependant on solar, IF you drive more than 2 or 3 hours per day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ChrisF; 2014/12/22 at 09:22 PM.

Default Camping, Fridges, Accessories

Subsrcibed. Very nice Chris
    Last edited by Bekker Snr; 2014/12/22 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

I amazed by the space in a single cab's loadbin. At first the 4 doors in the canopy did not make sense. I am used to a double cab!
    Chris, as usual - excellent job. We have so much to learn from you - thanks!

I amazed by the space in a single cab's loadbin. At first the 4 doors in the canopy did not make sense. I am used to a double cab!
    Chris, as usual - excellent job. We have so much to learn from you - thanks!
    believe me - there is a LOT of space !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ore has just left on his first trip - doubt he could have filled half the space

frankly a club-cab has all the space you need, and then some.
    Last edited by ChrisF; 2014/12/23 at 07:21 PM.

Something to consider for me when Goldilocks has to be replaced someday. Jy gaan mos vir my die electrics doen?

Something to consider for me when Goldilocks has to be replaced someday. Jy gaan mos vir my die electrics doen?
    my bril is nie lekker nie ... kan nie so lekker lees wat jy sę nie ....

Wow! Chris looks fantastic.

What was the total cost?
    Paul

Thanks Paul

Cost .... uhm, ja

best part of the project, walking into a store saying I need 2 of this and three of that ... and Paul gets to pay

jokes aside, the cost got blurred between the electrical and the "other" stuff. I do believe the total project cost from the bare Ranger to the finished product was a "pretty penny" !!

due to the tight time frame we had to shop around "a bit" then bought the bulk of the items from the stores mentioned above. 4x4Direct certainly is the go-to-place, providing most of the items we needed and on average at the best price.

I have a couple of questions with regards to the HCDP MK4 Power panel

1. I noticed it does not have a temp sensor for the battery like its 30 Amp DC/DC charger brother has, how important is this? Will it have a negative impact on the longevity of the battery?

2. It only has a 12 Amp charge ability will this be sufficient to bring a 105 AH deep cycle back to life from 50% DOD?

3. The various outputs have Amp ratings on them does this mean they are all individually fused or not? If they are fused will it be possible to replace a fuse out in the field without having warranty issues?

4. Is the solar charger a MPPT unit?

5. Does the Unit switch over automatically between alternator/solar/ac? As the 30Amp DC/DC brother cannot switch automatically between alternator/solar.

6. What does the 12volt switch do? Does it turn off all the 12v outputs? Obviously this switch can be left on at all times then right?

7. Can a person leave the charger switch on even if 220v is not connected?

8. How does the 220v AC charger work? Does it only charge the battery and the 12v devices then run of the battery or does it charge the battery separate at 15 amp and step down the 220 to 12 v for the 12v outputs?

9. I noticed you connected the Panel with the Alternative Wiring Configuration as opposed to the Preferred Wiring. This means that if the ignition is turned off the panel will continue to draw current from the cranking battery until it reaches 12.5v am I correct? If it is connected in accordance to the Preferred Wiring turning of the ignition switch turns of the connection between the Panel and the Cranking Battery am I right in saying that?

10. If the vehicle only moves every second wknd could I thus connect the 220v and just leave it and forget about it and it will ensure my battery lives a bit longer?
    Ashley

Toyota Hilux Dakar 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 (2013)
    Toyota Hilux 2.7VVTi D/C (2006) - Sold

Hi Ashley some interesting questions. We were able to figure out some of these as we did the installation, but I love to contact Manie to get all the answers. Here are what we have figured out :

2) believe this to be same as the 12A charger - thus while on alternator power, charging the battery at 12A, WHILE providing power to the fridge without reducing the charge rate. Thus a 4 hour drive required to charge the battery at 50% SOC.

3) we noted two fuses - 1 small fuse for the 220V charger, 1 off 25A fuse for the complete unit. The drawing also requires a 50A fuse to be fitted at the 2nd battery.

4) would love to know

5) YES We played between solar\alternator\220V ... it has about a 30 second delay for each switch over, but does so completely automatically !! NO issue having the 220V connected WHILE starting the engine.

6, 7) due to the installation configuration the box with the power panel wont be opened each time. Thus ALL switches were left ON.

dont know for sure. Expect it to be charger only. Surely one of the questions I would love Manie to elaborate on ....

9) it came with this configuration. Testing showed it took about 30 seconds before switching off. (MUCH simpler installation - simple bolt on to the primary battery, with no need to T into vehicle wiring. Remember this Ranger had 1 000km on the clock when we did this installation. DONT want to touch the vehicle wiring at this stage)

10) we tested it, and the charge rate DO drop down on a full battery. Would appreciate some confirmation from Manie on the float charging of this unit ...
    NOTE - from previous school fees - make SURE you cant drive off with the 220V socket plugged in ...

Thanks Chris
    Would love to hear the other answers from Manni.
    It seems like this pannel would work so much better for me than the cteck and all the addons for distribution and charging.
    I am hoping to learn from all your school fees Chris and do it once properly.
    P.S. will find a way to block wheels whilst connected to AC
    Ashley

Toyota Hilux Dakar 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 (2013)
    Toyota Hilux 2.7VVTi D/C (2006) - Sold

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast