New Land Rover (Puma)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Land Rover (Puma)

Hi All,

I have been looking at the New Defender 90 (Puma), and I was just wondering what the general feeling of the vehicle was?
    The salesman at Land Rover has assured me that they have sorted out all the reliability issues, and this is definitely the Land Rover to buy
    What do the people with all the knowledge have to stay?

Many thanks for the help

Replaced my Td5 with a Puma 110 SW in December, done 13000km, 2000km Natal North Coast round trip, lots of it off-road, 2000km Lady Grey-Nelspruit round trip with a 2.5 ton load, 2100km round trip through CKGR, a 400km round trip with a boat on the roof, the usual weekend farming which includes loading, towing, winching, off-road work, and a lot more...

Has the same or marginally better capabillities than Td5, TC is a bonus.

The big difference for me is it's open road cruising abillity, the engine is quiet enough so that wind and road noise becomes an issue, it also sits at 120km/h with a lot more ease than Td5 and it reaches it's 140km/h(on the clock) limiter very easily, feels as if it will pull all the way to 170km/h if it had no limiter.

A lot of small ergonomic changes make it a more comfortable place to be. It is still a little way off most other SUVs and duo cabs from a comfort and on road performance point of view, not as far behind as it was though. It is still a Defender and for commuting and if it is not going to be used for it's strengths there are still better vehicles to consider(including Hi-Lux).

I have had 0 mechanicall problems, not even a nigle, not that I have had many problems with any of my other Defenders (****), which is unusuall for a new vehicle of any brand in my experience. The Puma motor, although modified for use in Defender, is a tested and very highly regarded motor, it is also not running to it's maximum tune so it should be very reliable. I don't know if they've used the same gearbox that they normally match to the motor? I read an article that sugested so by implication. If so, it is also a tested and highly regarded 'box.

LRs(Pta) service levels have improved, that has IMO been LRs problem biggest in the past, still not where they should be(working off very a low base) but getting there, seems to be a problem with most brands though. We found with my mother's D3 that spares still seem to be a problem.

I was sceptical when I bought it but I am now very satsfied that I have made the correct decision.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2008/04/09 at 12:36 PM.

Thank you for the useful info

Default LR Puma

Was on a trail with one and it seemed to cope with obstacle much more easily than the Defenders and Disco 2s. No wheels spinning and the general commotion the associated with difficult obstacles. Very quite to.
    Disco 4 SDV6 SE
    Defender TD5 90

~
    Last edited by ctLandy; 2010/09/16 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew388 View Post
    1. ABS and TC lights illuminated - problem with ABS sensor, finally repaired under warranty and apparently there is a recall on the item.
    I have heard complaints from other owners as well, faulty sensor needs replacing on the earliest models, mine has behaved so far, touch wood.

What dealer do you use?

I also want to know about the dealership. Definately don't want to end up using them far ANYTHING!

Had the beast in for repairs in Upington and have received nothing but good (and helpfull) service.

Hope it is all sorted soon and you can get back to enjoying it without all tha additional BS.

Cheers
    Last edited by 4ePajero; 2008/07/23 at 12:34 PM.
    Andre Nortje
    Kathu - NC

2008 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 Di-D 4x4

~
    Last edited by ctLandy; 2010/09/16 at 09:15 AM.

~
    Last edited by ctLandy; 2010/09/16 at 09:16 AM.

We also got a red ninety (i MEAN ITS MY WIFES)that had the same oil leak.

Took the car in to a Dealer In centurion, at 08h00 -- collected it at 12h00 fixed and clean.

We are very happy with the new motor -- spoke to some mates in the UK when I heard it was a FORD MOTOR in the white vans on mud island-- they said the guys find it extremely reliable and wouldnt expect anything under 300 000 miles from it.

The gearbox is a Getrag box with a new improved "Q" lt230 Transfer box.

The two main objectives of this new car was NVH and HEVAC.
    The gearbox now has 3 bearings on the main shaft (one in the centre, as a carrier bearing as well) to remove most vibration.

The AC and heater has massive improvement (although any improvement would be massive in this area)

I also have my own TD5 D/C with 90 000 on the clock, which to this day has never given a single problem, or a cent spent on warranty -- man i love this car.
    Hot and Sweaty- Nice if you with a Lady, - BAD if you in the Jungle.
    East Rand Toyota 4x4 Training

Triumph ST 1050
    Toyota 3.0 D-4D
    Honda CBR 1000
    Kia Rio

~

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew388 View Post
    Just had an update from the LR dealer: the vacuum pump is now on back-order, as no dealer has it in stock, and should arrive in about three weeks time.
    I spoke to a guy who works at Ford Motor Corporation, he is quite high up and has an idea as to what is going on in the company world wide.

According to him, the spares problem at the moment is probably due to the fact that Tata do not want to use Ford wharehousing for spares until the spares are used up, they are actually moving all the spares from Ford wharehouses to their own, this is, as can be expected, causing some logistical problems.

FYI

~

KevinM Guest

Mate of mine bought one a couple of months ago and had problems with a noisy rear diff. After the dealership having it longer than he has had it he has it back with a new diff and same noise.

Off-road the vehicle is just phenominal! Drove it in soft sand in Moz and it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
    Mate of mine bought one a couple of months ago and had problems with a noisy rear diff. After the dealership having it longer than he has had it he has it back with a new diff and same noise.
    Mine also has what sounds like a noisy rear diff when coasing on a downhill, sort like a type of a droning, the dealer says it is normal, the noise has not got any worse after 16000km so I am not too concerned, not while the vehicle is under warantee anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    Mine also has what sounds like a noisy rear diff when coasing on a downhill, sort like a type of a droning, the dealer says it is normal, the noise has not got any worse after 16000km so I am not too concerned, not while the vehicle is under warantee anyway.
    Took my vehicle in on Monday for a 20 000km service.

They replaced the vacuum pump, did wheel alignment and balancing and used chassis ears on the diff.

I collected it this morning, it was ready yesterday, and they have ordered me a new diff, they will call me when the diff is there and it will be a days fitment.

I must say, I am pretty pleased with the service I have recieved, I was kept updated and they let me know on Monday that the vehicle would only be ready on Tuesday.

Also all the warantee work was done no questions asked, they even gave the vehicle a proper wash inside and out, not just the normal service wash and go.

Fontuin, what did they rip you for the 20k service? My 110 needs to go in next week

Talking

Guess nobody has used it off-road yet?

Cause then you would know the sump hits the front axle on full articulation ........ ;-)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Landy_Man View Post
    Fontuin, what did they rip you for the 20k service? My 110 needs to go in next week
    Invoice reads R2680.08 inc. VAT

R1080.00 for labour.
    R 120.00 for sundries.
    R 362.58 for wheel alignment and balancing(requested by me)
    R788.37 for spares(of which R583.24 is oil)
    + VAT

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post

Cause then you would know the sump hits the front axle on full articulation ........ ;-)
    Plenty off road, lots of articulation(to the point where wheels lift and TC has to keep me going), mine is right hand drive, last I heard that problem was specific to left hand drive vehicles.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2008/07/25 at 10:14 AM.

Default Sump on Puma

Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post

This has been an issue with LHD Pumas. Do you personally know of any right hand drive problems with sump - front axle hitting ? I have not heard of any ....

Cheers Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast