Bees !!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bees !!!

Default Re: Bees !!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Once bees have been removed safely,then paint entrance and inside with diesel where the bees nest.
    Or Jeyes fluid. Just be careful for stains on ceilings and walls.
    2013 Mahindra XUV 500
    2006 Jeep 3.7 Limited with 1.5" lift

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jors55 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jors55 View Post
    Or Jeyes fluid. Just be careful for stains on ceilings and walls.

The bees are in a huge tree in my garden , in an owl house ,so its high up , I have beenphoning around , but no one seem to be interested in the bee’s but rather the3500 removal fee ,
    I have spoken to the fire brigade and they said they willsend someone to come and assist me to burn down the nest , Unfortunately I have no other option I havehad these bee’s removed a few times and they just keep re-establishing a newnest , not going to risk my children’s and dog’s life’s any longer this nest isgoing at an alarming rate so much for the owl house as well that is coming down.

I've had a beehive in an old apricot tree next to my kitchen for years now. They have swarmed about 6 times that I know of (when a new queen leaves the hive) but luckily never had an issue with them as far as stings and attacks. I regularly mow right under the hive too.

@Charlie1800 - could they not relocate the hive together with the owl nest once and for all?
    The outdoors life for me, thanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9e...lzFbXUyixKJavQ

Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX
    Toyota Land Cruiser HJ47
    ...and a VW Citi Golf when I can't afford fuel for the toys

I also have a bee hive in my owl box. Been through gumtree and olx, phoned many many people, bee-keepers, it's just ridiculous what they want to charge to remove them. They want to take them, and use them to generate an income from the honey, but they want to charge me an arm and a leg to do so.

I also don't want to poison them, but I am VERY allergic to bee-stings. One sting, and it's epi pen and hospital very soon, or death. So yes, also have to get rid of them on my property ASAP.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

[QUOTE=Hyades;3714887]I also have a bee hive in my owl box. Been through gumtree and olx, phoned many many people, bee-keepers, it's just ridiculous what they want to charge to remove them. They want to take them, and use them to generate an income from the honey, but they want to charge me an arm and a leg to do so.

Not always that simple. Approx. 50% of times when you relocate bees they disappear from their new location, no guarantee they will stay, especially if you couldn't capture the queen. My son had to go back to a property 3 times with a beehive in an owl box. If up in a tree you need scaffolding and honey is heavy, not an easy job.
    Bees are territorial when they settled and difficult to remove all of them the first time. If you think its easy, try the relocation exercise yourself and your opinion will change.
    2013 Mahindra XUV 500

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    I also have a bee hive in my owl box. Been through gumtree and olx, phoned many many people, bee-keepers, it's just ridiculous what they want to charge to remove them. They want to take them, and use them to generate an income from the honey, but they want to charge me an arm and a leg to do so.

I also don't want to poison them, but I am VERY allergic to bee-stings. One sting, and it's epi pen and hospital very soon, or death. So yes, also have to get rid of them on my property ASAP.
    Hi H

I have relocated them a few times , for some reason when Isee I have a new nest again , ( might be my garden as its full of flowers andtree’s etc) and I had a nest on a few different places.

My biggest worry is this current nest doubles insize about every two weeks. the guy who used to collect it from me said lasttime he estimated about 200 K bees he removed I don’t want to be attacked bythat sorry ,

Quote Originally Posted by Jors55 View Post
    Not always that simple. Approx. 50% of times when you relocate bees they disappear from their new location, no guarantee they will stay, especially if you couldn't capture the queen. My son had to go back to a property 3 times with a beehive in an owl box. If up in a tree you need scaffolding and honey is heavy, not an easy job.
    Bees are territorial when they settled and difficult to remove all of them the first time. If you think its easy, try the relocation exercise yourself and your opinion will change.
    Jors, maybe your intentions are good, but this is very bad advice.
    Do not attempt this yourself is you don't know how to do it safely and correctly.

Here is advice that may help some folks: http://www.sabio.org.za/bee-removal-services/
    Last edited by Eggie; 6 Days Ago at 01:52 PM.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

[QUOTE=Eggie;3715165]Jors, maybe your intentions are good, but this is very bad advice.
    Do not attempt this yourself is you don't know how to do it safely and correctly.

Eggie, my comment on self removal was sarcastic, reacting on the post where the poster mentioned the removal fees are ridiculous high.
    Our fee is normally R500 and that is for approx. 3 hours work. It is not always easy and straight forward as it looks.
    So yes, please do not try it without the protective clothing and know how.
    2013 Mahindra XUV 500

Understood.
    Eggie.

I once had a hive in an ornamental pot. When they became a bit too many in my eyes I got a guy that came to remove them at a fee, which I gladly paid and also got a jar of honey from him. He explained to me that it is no guarantee that they won't return as they keep the GPS points and if one or two of them make it back and find it favorable with a queen, that I will have the same problem. He advised me to take the pot and turn it up so that it does not give a nice overhang spot for them to nest and basically deter them from coming back. So far so good.

Maybe pay a guy to come and collect and ask what you would need to change to make it less favourable for them to return, ie chop down tree, block holes in composter etc. Or maybe put it on "Give it away before I toss it" thread. You would be amazed at what people will take if given for free. You might just get lucky.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...toss-it-thread

CATS
    2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper) Blank canvas with some blobs
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Jors, maybe your intentions are good, but this is very bad advice.

Here is advice that may help some folks: http://www.sabio.org.za/bee-removal-services/

I won't try this myself in a million years... One bee stings me it's hospital time, if two get me, I'll be dead.
    Last edited by Hyades; 6 Days Ago at 03:31 PM.

Chris
    HYADES

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyades For This Useful Post:

I won't try this myself in a million years... One bee stings me it's hospital time, if two get me, I'll be dead.
    I'm with the "preserve the bees at all costs" side, but understand your predicament - my mom was the same, and I also went that route until I had one kinesiology session. Without a placebo effect. Sorry to digress and get the medical fraternity possibly upset, but this could be a solution to you to make them less dangerous.
    '16 Iveco Daily 4x4 "Molly"
    '06 D3 V8 "Handsome"
    Ex '76 101FC "Hermit"
    Ex '88 110 tdi "Intethe"

Ex '96 D1 tdi "Pelepele"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I'm with the "preserve the bees at all costs" side, but understand your predicament - my mom was the same, and I also went that route until I had one kinesiology session. Without a placebo effect. Sorry to digress and get the medical fraternity possibly upset, but this could be a solution to you to make them less dangerous.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with "kinesiology" I will go read up on this over the weekend, but could you perhaps elaborate a little on this?

Chris
    HYADES

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with "kinesiology" I will go read up on this over the weekend, but could you perhaps elaborate a little on this?
    My cousin is a Kinesiologist and being a sceptic at first I think there is merit in trying it, it's weird how it works but my wife and the kids have benefited from it.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB
    2008 Pajero Gen4 3.2DiD LWB - SOLD
    2016 Nissan Qashqai 1.2T Acenta
    Metalian Maxi

4x4AG 0110

Kinesiology: - some say yes, some say no.

http://theconversation.com/muscle-te...-placebo-11075
    Eggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Kinesiology: - some say yes, some say no.

http://theconversation.com/muscle-te...-placebo-11075
    You will always get different opinions. Even with conventional quacks, no disrespect meant or implied. Their SA website is www.kinesiologysa.co.za.

My wife trained as one many years ago in Europe and teaches some branches of it. They are very diverse and some obviously work better than others. One aspect which works very well is sorting some allergy forms (without the placebo effect....). I'm not qualified enough to go into more detail, but know that my mom and myself were sorted. My mom had to run around with an injection as one bee sting was potentially life threatening.
    '16 Iveco Daily 4x4 "Molly"
    '06 D3 V8 "Handsome"
    Ex '76 101FC "Hermit"
    Ex '88 110 tdi "Intethe"

Ex '96 D1 tdi "Pelepele"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2