2000 Pajero 3.5 heavy on fuel - advice needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2000 Pajero 3.5 heavy on fuel - advice needed

Hi guys, a few weeks ago I bought a 2000 Pajero 3.5 LWB with 195 000km, full service history but it is rather heavy on fuel. My other SUV gets about 7km/l, so I used to "heavy on fuel" cars and I was hoping that the 3.5L Pajero would get at least 6km/l, but the onboard computer shows 21.5L/100km - 4.65km/l (but I know not to trust that completely) and when I do my own calculations after filling up I get 5.3km/l. This is just town driving but I seriously nurse the car like an old lady and I'm easy on the pedal. I don't expect to win fuel economy runs, but 5km/l is gonna kill me on long trips.

Any advice on improving the consumption? Some say to chip it, but others say it will make no difference on a heavy 3.5L V6. They say chips are more for smaller engines. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi. I looked into that Pajero and the Prado of the same year. My friend's dad bought a '98 Prado. He gets 5km/l. And the fuel consumption is about the same for those vehicles. Don't think you can complain about what you are getting. Maybe you'll get better consumption if you strip the car and make it lighter

Thats about normal for town driving. On highway trips driving 120 you can expect around 7. The best i could ever get with mine was when I just got it, just under 9km/l to Klerksdorp but it was still stock standard and i was nursing it along at 100 km/h.

I don't know if a chip is worth it on a petrol, maybe on a diesel. But if you do put one in, please report your findings!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Derik

2011 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D XtraCab 4x4

2013 Ford Figo TDCi

ORRA VHF Call Sign: B78

Quote Originally Posted by dr0ne View Post
    Thats about normal for town driving. On highway trips driving 120 you can expect around 7. The best i could ever get with mine was when I just got it, just under 9km/l to Klerksdorp but it was still stock standard and i was nursing it along at 100 km/h.

I don't know if a chip is worth it on a petrol, maybe on a diesel. But if you do put one in, please report your findings!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    I'll test it on the long road in Dec but if I can get 7km/l on open road I will be smiling all the way!! I read in another post to check the water and air temp sensors, spark plugs and air filter. I think by checking and/or replacing some of these might be worth it - even if I can only gain 1km/l.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ght=pajero+gas

Get your vehicle analyzed on a 5 gas analyzer. You need to see what are the mixtures and how this vehicle is burning the fuel.

These motors actually tend to run quite lean, and have the opposite desired effect, that they then become very heavy on fuel.

This analyses will tell you this, if the vehicle is also sucking air and so forth.

You can have this corrected if it is out.

Make sure the correct spark plugs are in this vehicle. I have had many come to me with the wrong heat range plugs. Use the PLATINUM Tip plugs, then you can forget about them for about 80 - 100 000km.

The obvious checks would be the air filter and fuel filter and all is clean and no leaks and so forth. Please don't chip it, if you not going to get to the route cause, you will not get it right, you will just make it worse.

Then see from there...
    Last edited by Haydn; 2013/10/19 at 01:41 PM.

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...Pulling a Caravan sometimes

I bought a 2000 pajero gen 3 a few months ago and asked for some advice on the heavy fuel consumption. I've only used it for taking kids to school and got 5.3km/l. Well I'm pleased to announce that on my first long(ish) trip(1300km) I got an average of 7.2km/l, loaded with camping gear and the family. Averaged about 110km/h.

I'm very pleased with my old "trok"!

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Get your vehicle analyzed on a 5 gas analyzer. You need to see what are the mixtures and how this vehicle is burning the fuel.

These motors actually tend to run quite lean, and have the opposite desired effect, that they then become very heavy on fuel.

This analyses will tell you this, if the vehicle is also sucking air and so forth.

You can have this corrected if it is out.

Make sure the correct spark plugs are in this vehicle. I have had many come to me with the wrong heat range plugs. Use the PLATINUM Tip plugs, then you can forget about them for about 80 - 100 000km.

The obvious checks would be the air filter and fuel filter and all is clean and no leaks and so forth. Please don't chip it, if you not going to get to the route cause, you will not get it right, you will just make it worse.

Then see from there...
    I wonder where one can get this done in Klerksdorp, on a side note with my 3.8 I get about 12l/100km at 125km/h, But yeah in town it gulps petrol.
    My Youtube Channel
    04 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8 V6 SWB
    63mm freeflow and Rocksliders from PEPA customs
    Dastek UniChip
    MAXE Nudge bar with Warn Spotlights
    Front and rear bash plates
    Stofpad lift spacers
    265/65R17 General Grabber AT

What size tires do you have and type H/T, A/T or M/T?

How many members in family in car on regular basis.

Extras on the vehicle: eg..Permanent drawer system, Dual battery, Roof Rack, Underbelly protection, Rock sliders?

Mine gives me 6+ bit in town & 7+ on open road.

Gas analysis might show other little indians in concert.

When I had my pajero I used to get roughly 16l/100km combined cycle, but when I hitched the caravan (Jurgens Classique), then 600km on 135 litre fuel
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Quote Originally Posted by theunsb View Post
    What size tires do you have and type H/T, A/T or M/T?

How many members in family in car on regular basis.

Extras on the vehicle: eg..Permanent drawer system, Dual battery, Roof Rack, Underbelly protection, Rock sliders?

Mine gives me 6+ bit in town & 7+ on open road.

Gas analysis might show other little indians in concert.
    Standard size Michelin LTX A/T, lift kit, ARB front bumper with winch, me, wife and 2 small kids. I don't think 5.3km/l in town is too bad for such an old, heavy, 3.5 v6 and 7.2km/l average on a holiday is fine with me. I'll maybe do the gas analysis with the next service just in case.

I bought a Suzuki Jimny with 60 000km on, and I only put a freeflow system on and removed the cats, made a huge differance, imagine on a engine your size.

Freeflow exhaust (remove cats), chip with a dyno, and after that I'll do what the others say.

Cheers.
    '99 Pajero 3.5v6 SWB
    '16 HILUX LG45
    '10 Triton 3.2D Clubcab 4x4 - SOLD
    '09 Suzuki Jimny - SOLD
    '07 Pajero Gen4 3.8v6 SWB - EXPIRED

I had similar figures, chipped it and pushed up to an overall 7,5 Km/l on average. The chip does work but you need to do some calculations between the cost of the chip and saved fuel, it's hardly worth it. Spark plugs (as mentioned) and general service is very important. Put in the long life plugs (I forget the name etc) but to change plugs is a real pain in the rear so do them once properly with the long life one's. Keep it well maintained, bite the bullet with consumption and enjoy one of the best 4x4's ever made.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
    Garden Route Division
    A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

No change chipped, I tried everything with no luck, bought the 3.2 diesel at the end

I've also been fiddling, trying to get the consumption down. She came with a free flow already.

Ive tried:

Driving with a heavy foot
    Driving with a light foot
    Changed plugs (long lifes)
    Oil and oil filter change
    Air filter change
    Fuel filter change
    NF 3 in 1 Petrol cleaner
    Valve Ease (a few tanks in a row)
    Long road & town driving
    Laden & unladen

No matter WHAT I do, it stays between 7.2 and 7.6km/l

Where can one have this 5 gas analysis done in Pretoria and what does it cost?
    2006 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3000i V6 4x4 D/C

Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor with electric cleaner? Chip is bit expensive, maybe freeflow pipe would beneffit as some suggest - not sure how much improvement, but apparently it gives a little fuel saving & more low down power...
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

As mentioned, she already had a free flow when I bought her so that's already done.

I have more power than I know what to do with, so a chip is pretty low on my list for now, I'm sure there's another cause.

I've read about guys cleaning the MAF sensor but reluctant to try it - I've heard it can damage it and a new one is pricey - your experience? And can u elaborate on what "electronic cleaner" is?

Thanks

You can only damage the MAF if you drop it or touch the thin wires on the inside, quite easy to do. Ask for "electric cleaner" at your local autoshop, they should be able to sort you out with a can. Just spray on & let it dry, it basically just remove the dirt & the sensor should function properly again.
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Hmmm, dunno, consumption figures in this thread are par for the course. A very good friend has a '98 V6 3000 SWB. Amazing vehicle, goes anywhere...but driven decently it's 6km/l, end of story.
    ZS6VL

I've read about a few guys on various forums with the same model as mine (2005 Colt 3l v6) reporting avg 9km/l... I guess it's luck of the draw :P

I have been averaging 14l/100km in the 2 years I had mine. I also have a slightly larger tyre. Most of the info I have read on the Pajero Forum in victoria is that free flow and chips are a waste of money on these vehicles. If your average is high, clean the MAF near the airbox, clean the throttle body and also check your O2 sensor just before the CAT. O2 sensor should be replaced about every 100,000km along with your platinum spark plugs.
    Roger

2008 Hilux D4D DC 4x4 Auto OME Suspension
    2002 Pajero NM Sold
    2005 Colt DC Sold
    2004 Colt Club Cab Sold

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast