Ping: East London guys

Default Ping: East London guys

So there's a lot of regular posters here that stay in East London. I will have to relocate (alone no wife) to East london, maybe as early as 1 Feb, to take a serious job at EL IDZ. My question is where to stay so that I don't have the same 2-3 hour traffic mess that i have here in JHB/Mirand/Centurion, where I am now. I have checked google earth and the R72 seems to run past the EL IDZ both ways. Want to stay close to the beach if possible. Is the R72 a mess like the roads here in GP or can i assume that as long as i'm close to it, i'll be fine?

Kidds beach looks like a lekker place or maybe bonza to the north.

Any advice on where to get info, who to call for rentals and of course where to drive my Landy will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Gerrit Herbst

V8i Disco (Big Blue)

4ePajero Guest

My question is where to stay so that I don't have the same 2-3 hour traffic mess that i have here in JHB/Mirand/Centurion, where I am now

Nothing in East London is further than 30 mins away (in peak hour).

From Beacon Bay (east) to IDZ (west) is about as far apart as you'll get, and that takes me 20min.

Kidd's Beach is nice, so is
    Cove Rock
    Bonza Bay
    Beacon Bay
    etc.

Try the local paper:

http://www.dispatch.co.za/class/

Looking forward to meeting you!

Gerhard

Thanks for that, there seem to be ample accomodation available close to nice beaches. I only wanted to take 2 cars down (landy and a bakkie), neither of them are cheap on fuel. I can sell my platkar that i have to use now and drive the landy to work!! Even with a platkar I easily clock up R500 a week in gas now, leave for work at 5:30 to be back at 17:30 and only book 7 hours. This GP is making me ill. can't wait to get a life!

Do you also work at IDZ?

4ePajero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    This GP is making me ill. can't wait to get a life!

Do you also work at IDZ?
    I escaped from Gauteng 6 yrs ago - I know the feeling! Never going back!!!!

The IDZ is one of my clients (I'm a consulting engineer).

Small world, looking forward to meet you.

I live on the out skirts of town near bonza bay and work at Mercedes (the old daimler chrysler) and it takes me about 30minutes max to get to work. There is barely any traffic here, at worst the cars slow down, rarely stop. The only traffic problem i really see is for ppl living in gonube coming from town, it backs up a bit there (still nothing like Jozi)

Kids beach is not a bad option, is a bit far out but there is barely any traffic in the morning (i have come in a few times from pe that way in the morning)

Also look at places in Cintza, its out of town durban way, but it is beautiful there.

I moved to el about a year ago, its a nice place, just need to get used to the slower drivers which i have now become since i bought a 4x4

Thanks for all the help so far! Are there any places to specifically avoid, if you know what i mean I will only be there for a few hours to make up my mind about a rental and i don't want to spend it driving to "areas of ill repute"

4ePajero Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Thanks for all the help so far! Are there any places to specifically avoid, if you know what i mean I will only be there for a few hours to make up my mind about a rental and i don't want to spend it driving to "areas of ill repute"
    PM your short list and I'll comment, without offending anybody.

We could go and have a look as well, if you want.

Q1n, what do you do at Merc? I worked at Ronnies, the M/B dealer down the road. I sent my CV to Merc a couple of months ago but alas, niks

Gonubie is a nice place to live, only coz I lived there and am going back in April. have a look at Winterstrand aswell, not as far as kids beach but on that side of the airport.

Mitch

And on an aside, how does boating works? Do we beach luanch like in KZN or can you use the harbour?

Mitch i dont work for Merc. We private contractors doing the new C-class body shop.... Gerrit you can also send me a list of possible places and i can give my 2c on them. Not sure about the boating, will find out from a friend tomo.

On the boating, guys normally launch in the rivers, Gonubie or Nahoon and go out from there. I'm not sure about the harbour? I think you might have to be a member of the ski boat club.