Carnet de Passage advice needed - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For those from the UK that are overlanding and need to renew their Carnet at some point, the new RAC adopted rules/requirements are discussed in some detail on the following forum thread. It is worth a read, to prepare in good time. You dont want to be caught out trying to scramble around at the last minute to sort through it all.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...uk-rac-68191-3
    Proper Job Around Africa
    Land Cruiser HZJ Troopie

I promised to provide feedback from my discussions with the RAC UK. So here goes.

Qu - I return to Africa in late September 2013 to continue my travels and wish to replace/renew my Carnet, that expires on January 1st 2014 during my travels, ahead of time so that I have all paperwork completed in advance. Sending a valuable document like a Carnet through the post to Africa is not a risk many overlanders want to take. I am sure the RAC can appreciate that leaving the receipt of such a valuable document to the very last minute before departure creates all sorts of complications and risks such as shipping, booking flights etc.
    Answer - 3 months prior to the existing Carnet expiring is the maximum they are allowed to physically issue a new one for a renewal Carnet. The new one will run from the day following the expiry of the old. The reason for the max of 3 months is they are required to complete certain validity checks within that time frame prior to renewal. They do appreciate that genuine overlanders wish to have their paperwok in good order and in sufficient time. A cover letter explaining the need for early receipt is advisable.
    - When travelling, a situation could occur when the import stamp is on a Carnet that is expiring before the traveler leaves that country. The traveler applies for and receives a new Carnet that is valid from the date the old Carnet has expired. The traveler now has in his possession two carnets ; The old one with the import stamp and the new one with nothing. Should they export stamp the old Carnet (even though it has expired) or would they use the new Carnet to export as long as the old Carnet with the import stamp can be presented.?
    Answer - Depends on which country and some may be willing and some wont. The way to ensure no potential complications is for the old one to be stamped out and closed, and the renewal used to stamp into the next country. In an earlier post on this thread are details of how Carnets can be 'switched' from old to new in Cape Town or Windhoek.
    - Does the Insurance Indemnity taken out for a Carnet transfer automatically to a new replacement Carnet that is issued upon expiry of the old ? If not, then how is a refund (50%) obtained on an expired Carnet when the traveler is still partly through their trip and the section at the back of the book (to be completed by UK customs on arrival of the vehicle back into the UK obviously) cant be done ?
    Answer - The Insurance Indemnity is not transferred from the old to the new Carnet. As soon as you return the old Carnet to them with a valid export stamp, the RAC will process the reimbursement due - provided they are aware that you have a renewal Carnet - even thrugh the back page has not been completed by the UK customs confirming it is now back in the UK. Unfortunately this could mean that two seperate Insurance Indemnities will be running before the returns due from the expired Carnet can be reimbursed.
    - The valuation for my vehicle on my current Carnet that expires 31st December 2013 is UK XX pounds. Does the RAC have a set % depreciation to be used when completing the application for a new Carnet and calculating the Insurance Indemnity ?
    Answer - They use standard tables to validate the chassis value of a vehicle. They will revalue the chassis value based on these tables if the vehicle has returned to the UK e.g. and another sperate trip is planned. However, if a new Carnet is for the continuance of a journey then they will adopt the same chassis value as stated on the old carnet.
    Furthermore, I asked about using the ADAC in Germany for issuance of Carnets for UK registered vehicle. They confirmed they can be used provided a letter of permission is given by RAC UK. I didnt explore this further, but I didnt get the impression that they would not provide one.

Anyway, hope this information is of some use.

Regards
    Simon
    Proper Job Around Africa
    Land Cruiser HZJ Troopie

An update on the Carnet situation in the UK

The RAC will now only dispatch a Carnet to you no more than 30 days prior to its date of validity. Also the 'security risk' for Southern African countries has increased from 150% to 250%, so the Insurance Indemnity just became a whole lot more expensive.

Unfortunately, their adopted new policies are badly impacting the honest over-land traveller and will eventually force many to stop travelling. A great shame indeed.
    Proper Job Around Africa
    Land Cruiser HZJ Troopie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2