Howling Moon disappointment - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I am a bit worried that the "number of posts, posted" is the benchmark for credibility?
    The thousands of people who are not members of this forum, then, know nothing of camping or 4x4'ing?
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    I am a bit off topic here, but that is one thing in SA that drives me insane. The dealer is an extension of the distributor which is an extension of the manufacturer. The dealer must therefore be able to offer the same replacement service the manufacturer does and IMHO add some friendly service to it.

Not withstanding the above 'honourable' way, the Consumer Protection Act states the same. Furthermore the OP should simply have insisted to have the product refunded or swapped out i.t.o. this Act. This due to the events happened within the six month period. Read more here http://www.mysmallbusiness.co.za/art...protection-act
    I agree in principle with the statement and the escalation procedure.
    However, the dealers are in no way as informed as the manufacturer when it comes to the construction (potential weaknesses) of each product they sell. Remember that the dealers are outlet stores that have many prodcit lines hence my reservations.
    When it comes to product failure then the manufacturer is best to know the possible cause or abuse as the info is not "filtered" by a number of channel distributors.
    This in return can lead to a complete different decision as if one dealer at a time is receiving a complaint and decides this an insulated event, tries to "resolve" the issue in his way, which would mean, he isolates it from the manufacturer.

Yes, I know, procedures and escalation, but when dealing with particular circmstances I want to go and talk to the guys in charge not a front desk clerk or sales man.

BTW, I found the contacts on the Juergens CI web page and dealt with them directly from here in Botswana, bought my staff back in RSA ways back .

Now as a conlcusion:
    Is it the right thing to do to bash a manufacturer who in term might not even have been alerted to the failure of a product under certain circumstances, never mind having an option to respond .
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVader View Post
    I am a bit worried that the "number of posts, posted" is the benchmark for credibility?
    The thousands of people who are not members of this forum, then, know nothing of camping or 4x4'ing?
    Wow.
    Maybe look at it the other way round.
    If you are regularly on this forum, you see a tendency to try to resolve an issue before resorting to brand bashing - not necessarily the case with a newby .
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Dealer issue period. In order to be a dealer you have to go through a "vetting" procedure to ensure you're qualified to sell said product and maintain howling moons "high standards".

If you buy an Acer laptop you contact Acer or the retailer? Same with car dealership first then, factory?

The closest weather station data I found mentions gusts of 50. The max sustained speeds were 35 from 3 to 6 pm with an average of 13 for the day. Bear in mind this station is more inland and you'd have experienced stronger directly on coast.

I wouldn't bash hw just yet, consider yourself using the product at its limits. Request all poles be strengthened. My car will roll in a tornado...forget cpa too often people quote out of context.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    However, the dealers are in no way as informed as the manufacturer when it comes to the construction (potential weaknesses) of each product they sell..
    If they are not as informed, then they should not be a representative. M2CW

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfan View Post
    Dealer issue period. In order to be a dealer you have to go through a "vetting" procedure to ensure you're qualified to sell said product and maintain howling moons "high standards".
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfan View Post
    forget cpa too often people quote out of context.
    In this case the CPA is very valid and definitively not quoted out of context.

Default HM gazebo

I bought a MH gazebo from Mossel Bay Campworld. One rainstorm snapped two poles at the top where they taper into the canopy. Several calls and emails to HM have never received any response whatsoever.
    I hear similar stories from Aussie friends who have never encountered such indifference from camp equipment suppliers.
    I guess we are so used to non customer service in SA that we are not surprised.

Will http://www.jurgensci.co.za/3 be the main distributor of HM ?
    Pajero `07 Did lwb
    Jeep Gladiator `68 J2000
    Kenwood TK-7100 VHF
    AG-27

If they are not as informed, then they should not be a representative. M2CW
    Welcome to the perfect world - Illusions for the naive .
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Quote Originally Posted by Pajeromania View Post
    Will http://www.jurgensci.co.za/3 be the main distributor of HM ?
    They are the manufacturers .
    Kalahari Safari
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45

Quote Originally Posted by vagamoto View Post
    I bought a MH gazebo from Mossel Bay Campworld. One rainstorm snapped two poles at the top where they taper into the canopy. Several calls and emails to HM have never received any response whatsoever.
    I hear similar stories from Aussie friends who have never encountered such indifference from camp equipment suppliers.
    I guess we are so used to non customer service in SA that we are not surprised.

On Friday morning (22/3/2013) I sent HM an email, including a link to this discussion, to make them aware of the user's problem and complaint. Some form of acknowledgement would have been nice, but thus far they are quiet.

I'm sure they can easily rescue the situation, and even turn it into something positive, but they would have to do what reputable companies normally do in similar situations.
    Eggie.

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Especially those who claim they need R4 Billion planes for own use.
    - Edward Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    On Friday morning (22/3/2013) I sent HM an email, including a link to this discussion, to make them aware of the user's problem and complaint. Some form of acknowledgement would have been nice, but thus far they are quiet.

I'm sure they can easily rescue the situation, and even turn it into something positive, but they would have to do what reputable companies normally do in similar situations.
    I love HM, and I am in the market for the RTT Tourer, but if they can't even bother answering here, what sort of after market support will they give their customers?
    Landy 111S R6
    Pajero 3.5 S/W
    Freelander (written off, together with my wrist)
    Tiguan TDI 4Motion (SWAMBO's)

Agree 100%

In this case the CPA is very valid and definitively not quoted out of context.
    Cpa is all about fairness, in this instance it appears to have been used outside its design parameters, so if anything it protects howling moon. Cpa also mentions you want a return you return in original condition...refunds etc are at the discretion of supplier but in the event of bad quality one of the following be done, refund, replacement or repair. The choice of which is at supplier discretion.

If however in the event of negligence the client voids the warranty.

The advert mentioned strong winds the weather station data shows the tent to be on its limits...but the gusts are worse and are moderate Gale force. Tough call, I do believe they should have responded though. That leaves a bad taste.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Forum Runner
    Last edited by dieselfan; 2013/03/26 at 11:44 PM.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

We bought a HM ground tent 3 or 4 years ago,
    as our 3 x 3 m Greensport tent is 25 kgs
    and although its a nice thing, too heavy to travel long time.

We took the HM tent to a test drive to Kgalagadi
    and in a normal wind (no thunderstorm)
    two of the carbon poles broke in less than 2 days.

We brought it back to the shop, wanted to give it back, no chance,
    with moaning and grumping and discussing
    (where did you go with the tent, was it very windy there?)
    we finally got two new poles.

Before we left to the next trip,
    we had custom made metal poles made from Christies,
    expensive R 500 (I think the tent was less than that),
    but till today, the tent several times sewed after baboon attacks,
    the poles slightly bent from the baboons, we travel with this HM tent.
    ME - Mitsubishi Pajero 1999 LWB 2,8 l Turbo Diesel
    HUBBY - Mitsubishi Pajero 2002 SWB 3,2 l Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by john_ysbeer View Post
    Ek word sommer kwaad as mense hulle so domonosel laat vang!
    Ja dis maar sleg as so iets gebeur.....MAAR word wakker kerels... gebruik bietjie julle koppe...dit wat gebeur het was bloot logiese gevolge...(Mens kan ook nie vervaardigers vertrou om HULLE koppe te gebruik nie!)
    As 'n wind sterk waai, SAL dit 'n dak aflig en sinkplate opfrommel en doer gooi! Wat gaan die wind nie maak met 'n stuk seil wat redelik dig is, en wat ondersteun word deur 'n paar patetiese paaltjies nie? 'n Wind van 35km/h kan ook 'n mas van seiljag breek as die seile nie reg gespan word nie...
    My persoonlike ondervinding is dat jy niks digter as 40% skadunet kan gebruik as 'n windskerm nie. Enigiets meer en gebuigde/gebreekte pale is jou voorland.
    Jy kan digter materiaal suksesvol gebruik, mits die wind eers deur ander strukture 'gebreek' word....Net ligter materiaal werk in oop toestande as 'n windbreek...dit sny ook nie die wind heeltemal af nie maar breek die spoed net...

Ek het gelukkig my fout SELF gemaak, nadat ek ook nie ordentlik oor die ding gedink het nie. Nou werk my windbreek al vir meer as twintig jaar sonder dat ek EEN paal moes vervang of versterk....
    Maak die ding self...dis maklik, dis relatief goedkoop, dis lig en dis JOU eie handewerk! Algou sal jy kans sien om dit so bietjie aan te pas sodat jy dit in groot wind kan oprol sonder om dit af te breek...en..en..en...
    x2

Ek het 2 x HM Roof top tente, 5 jaar se kamp geen probleem (een het ek 2 de hands gekoop so is ouer nog) ek het op een toer Jeffry's se wind trotseer en op 'n ander toer by Bontebokpark 'n storm oorleef, ek kan werklik nie kla oor die gehalte nie.

Ek het ook die HM "eazy awn", maar bly weg uit die wind met hom, eenkeer het die wind hom geskep en bo-oor die trailer gegooi, touch wood niks het gebuig of geskeur nie. Mens moet darem so bietjie logies dink as mens kamp, soos John gese het wind waai huise se dakke af, wat nog te se van tydelikke strukture. Ek hoor wat Oom Zuki se dat daar ander windbrekers was wat bly staan het in dieselfde wind, maar het hulle die wind op dieselfde hoek gekry of was daar dalk meer anker punte ens.

Jammer om te hoor van julle misfortune, maar ek kan net getuig nog van goeie diens uit my HM produkte.
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    Albert Einstein

Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI

I have a HM dome tent and broke one of the segmented poles during a strong gust of wind while on a mountain. I can't complain. Sometimes the conditions exceed the design parameters. Sometimes one should read the conditions and pack away the kit when a typhoon comes rolling through or risk suffering damage.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sę in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Maybe look at it the other way round.
    If you are regularly on this forum, you see a tendency to try to resolve an issue before resorting to brand bashing - not necessarily the case with a newby .
    Here is food for thought. If I were a manufacturer I would scrutinize associated forums of my product lines to see that there are no issues/threads that could have a negative effect and protect the products I made in my business. People on this forum are not obliged to inform the manufacturer so if they (manufacturers) didn't keep a look out for negative reports on their products they are the ones that have the most to loose so. Take "Hello Peta" as an example for the need for manufacturers/service providers to monitor forums that could negatively influence their products. All reputable francises monitor and defend themselves and it has, as a result, earned a reputation for "sorting" out poor service, however it is a win win situation depsite the failure or percieved failure of the product. All complaints should and could be sorted out before it reaches "Hello Peta". Just a thought. Thanks for an interesting forum.

Guys,
    HM and most of the Campworld dealers are either directly owned or is franchised dealers and is part of Jurgens which is again a wholly owned subsidiary of Imperial Holdings Ltd. Also in that pot of companies is Beekman Canopies and a few others like Safari Centre, it will be a group issue rather than the dealer. He will swop it out for new or give your money back, if he could send it back to the factory but I guess not. Good luck getting your money out of IHL, just look at Mitsubishi parts debacle as case in point.
    I experienced a massive sand storm in Deception Valley a couple of years ago, and had a Tentco Kitchen tent and a few wind breakers up only to keep the cold at bay around the camp fire at night, the problem was securing the pegs in the sand, the kitchen tent went like a tumble weed over the pan along with all our equipment. We had an interesting chicken parade the next morning. Sometimes we buy things only for us to modify them to suite our needs and use.

Default Howling moon disappointment

I have a Howling Moon rooftop tent on my camping trailor and during a recent Richtersveld trip, two of the 90° aluminium tube elbows (corner connections between the folding and longitudinal aluminium tubes) of the tent frame broke. Howling Moon seem to just crudely bend the elbows, which causes folds in the bent tube wall which eventually gets fatigued and breaks.

I desparately tried to obtain spare elbows directly from Howling Moon but they just ignored my numerous attempts.

I then managed to order some spares via Pretoria Caravan but these were of the wrong diameter (same diameter as the joggle in the tent tubes. They then ordered other elbows but these fitted internally to the joggle, rather than externally as in the case of the original ones. I managed to get them fitted after some modification.

Extremely poor / non-existent customer service from Howling Moon, I'm not sure that I'll recommend any of their products!

Default HM Response.

I received the following from HM this morning.
    Let's hope this leads to a happy conclusion.

---
    Sorry for the late reply as I was on leave and got back in the office this week.
    We seldom have received complaints about the Lapa poles but we appreciate that you have brought it to our notice.
    Its feedbacks like this that helps us improve our products.
    I apologize on behalf of Howling Moon for your bad experience.

I have forwarded this mail to our quality control office and our factory manager and I will ensure that this is investigated.

Once again we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards
    Delashnee Manikam
    Administrator

031 7130982 (direct ) 0866342015 (fax2mail)
    031 7056300 (switchboard) 031 7056301 (fax)

Eggie.

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Especially those who claim they need R4 Billion planes for own use.
    - Edward Langley.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast