Need a good ADSL deal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Need a good ADSL deal

What is the current "best deal" around?

I am currently running a 3G setup and its just not enough for me.

I need a large cap / uncapped. Shaped is ok...

Obviously looking for the best bang for my buck...

Thanks in advance.

Don't know what is the best deal but webafrica is good enough for me: 5G, 4 off peak and 1 peak time at R229/month
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi

I pay about R700 for 4mb uncapped ADSL with Afrihost, including managing Telkom's ADSL line.

Line speed is acceptable, and have had no downtime in about 4 months since signing
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Today is a great day.

2008 D3 TDV6. Modded for FUN!!!

I needed to get connectivity at home, wife decided on iPhone, son was grumpy and never home because 3G connectivity for online gaming was edge all the time. So for line installation, plus adsl / wifi modem, line rental, free land line national calls from 7pm to 7am and free calls over the weekend is R399 pm. You can get better deals, but the line installation and modem costs were going to all be costly, plus the free calls is a bonus. Got a 5GB cap and it seems to be working out well. They include a 8eita modem with 500mb. Shop around considering if you already have a line....
    Platkar driver...
    '99 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i - SOLD
    Challenger Bundu Basher - SOLD
    I will drive a Land Rover again...

Quote Originally Posted by DeonvanderMerwe View Post
    I pay about R700 for 4mb uncapped ADSL with Afrihost, including managing Telkom's ADSL line.

Line speed is acceptable, and have had no downtime in about 4 months since signing
    Doesnt Sound too bad... might be a bit steep for me. Thanks, Deon!

I use the 10 gig promo from 8ta for R199.00 its 3 G, but in a wireless router I bought from them for R1000, Not exceptionally fast, but works well and I dont have to worry about land lines.
    If you need more and dont sleep you can add on another 10G to use between midnight and 5am, costs an extra R100 per month.
    Both on 24 month contracts

Quote Originally Posted by AjayDisco View Post
    I needed to get connectivity at home, wife decided on iPhone, son was grumpy and never home because 3G connectivity for online gaming was edge all the time. So for line installation, plus adsl / wifi modem, line rental, free land line national calls from 7pm to 7am and free calls over the weekend is R399 pm. You can get better deals, but the line installation and modem costs were going to all be costly, plus the free calls is a bonus. Got a 5GB cap and it seems to be working out well. They include a 8eita modem with 500mb. Shop around considering if you already have a line....
    Been seeing this special running and seems to be okay. I'll just have to have more than 5GB...

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    I use the 10 gig promo from 8ta for R199.00 its 3 G, but in a wireless router I bought from them for R1000, Not exceptionally fast, but works well and I dont have to worry about land lines.
    If you need more and dont sleep you can add on another 10G to use between midnight and 5am, costs an extra R100 per month.
    Both on 24 month contracts
    Also looked at this but there is no 8ta 3G signal in Port Alfred...

Quote Originally Posted by JimnyJuan View Post
    Been seeing this special running and seems to be okay. I'll just have to have more than 5GB...
    They have a 10gb option and these have faster adsl options. It depends on the situation I guess. Hence I said shop around but I don't think it was a bad deal considering my requirements. Touch wood I haven't had problems and speed has been very acceptable, this all depends mainly on connection to nearest exchange.
    Platkar driver...
    '99 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i - SOLD
    Challenger Bundu Basher - SOLD
    I will drive a Land Rover again...

I'm currently on a 1MB uncapped product from Cybersmart, with Cybersmart handling my ADSL line (cheaper that way) and on a Telkom Closer 2 plan. This gives me free Telkom to Telkom calls after 7pm. I know less and less people have Telkom numbers, but think about it. It's only about R50 more than the plain line rental, which you have to pay anyway.

Telkom closer 2 plan R185 p/m
    1MB ADSL Uncapped line and Account R297 p/m

So basically I have an uncapped 1MB line for R482 p/m.

You can get much the same deal from many other providers. Afrihost for R297 and Mweb for R339 I think if I remember correctly. I have used both, and will be returning to Mweb I think before the end of the month as I am having speed issues on Cybersmart.

1MB is not lightning fast, but more than enough for browsing, e-mail and youtube streaming. I don't do much heavy downloading, but usually get download speeds of over 100Kb/s then.

Remember that most of these are available as month to month contracts. You can have Telkom manage your ADSL line for a month or two, and you can jump from one ISP to another (if you feel so inclined) until you settle on one that works. If you then want to have them manage your ADSL line you can do it. It makes sense as if Telkom manages your line it actually costs you much more per month.

Good luck!
    Anton

At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box - Italian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by avk View Post
    I'm currently on a 1MB uncapped product from Cybersmart, with Cybersmart handling my ADSL line (cheaper that way) and on a Telkom Closer 2 plan. This gives me free Telkom to Telkom calls after 7pm. I know less and less people have Telkom numbers, but think about it. It's only about R50 more than the plain line rental, which you have to pay anyway.

Telkom closer 2 plan R185 p/m
    1MB ADSL Uncapped line and Account R297 p/m

So basically I have an uncapped 1MB line for R482 p/m.

You can get much the same deal from many other providers. Afrihost for R297 and Mweb for R339 I think if I remember correctly. I have used both, and will be returning to Mweb I think before the end of the month as I am having speed issues on Cybersmart.

1MB is not lightning fast, but more than enough for browsing, e-mail and youtube streaming. I don't do much heavy downloading, but usually get download speeds of over 100Kb/s then.

Remember that most of these are available as month to month contracts. You can have Telkom manage your ADSL line for a month or two, and you can jump from one ISP to another (if you feel so inclined) until you settle on one that works. If you then want to have them manage your ADSL line you can do it. It makes sense as if Telkom manages your line it actually costs you much more per month.

Good luck!
    Thank you, This sounds like a good way to go about it!

I'm with SAOL on a 1mb line 2Gb bundle + R29/Gb top up (they give you a gig for every gig you top up too) for R149pm including the line rental.

I don't use a lot, so paying extra for uncapped at this stage does not make sense.
    To argue with a person that has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

mweb have a 1meg line , uncapped for R219 a month. Shaped during the day only.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
    mweb have a 1meg line , uncapped for R219 a month. Shaped during the day only.

+1. I also have this option. Very nice deal. No problems on amount of data usage per month. (Believe me, I have used ALLOT for 3 months in a row, but no problems, except running out of hard drive space)
    2002 WJ Jeep GC Overland 4.7 V8 - Vetpret
    JP Ehlers

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Schäfer View Post
    I'm with SAOL on a 1mb line 2Gb bundle + R29/Gb top up (they give you a gig for every gig you top up too) for R149pm including the line rental.

I don't use a lot, so paying extra for uncapped at this stage does not make sense.

Is this shaped or not shaped? And is the gig you get free with top up anytime during the day, or like night owl data?

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2
    Current 4x4: 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI 4x4 Manual double cab

Third 4x4: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Manual

Second 4x4: 2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Manual 4x4 Double Cab

First 4x4: 2010 Nissan NP300 Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/C

How would the speed of rhe SAOL 1mb line compare to the speed of Vodacom 3G on HSDPA? I see they offer 10gb cap on a 12 month contract on a 1mb line for R165 per month, incl line rental.

Quote Originally Posted by rmat1985 View Post
    How would the speed of rhe SAOL 1mb line compare to the speed of Vodacom 3G on HSDPA? I see they offer 10gb cap on a 12 month contract on a 1mb line for R165 per month, incl line rental.

In terms of throughput, HSDPA thumps 1MB/s ADSL, but you might find latency pretty similar. This pretty much rules out any sort of gaming if that is what you want.

Remember all the ISP's slashed their uncapped offerings earlier this month, so hunt around. Telkom's deal was the best in the market, for about a day.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Cape Town Weather and Imagery

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    In terms of throughput, HSDPA thumps 1MB/s ADSL, but you might find latency pretty similar. This pretty much rules out any sort of gaming if that is what you want.

Remember all the ISP's slashed their uncapped offerings earlier this month, so hunt around. Telkom's deal was the best in the market, for about a day.
    So would an upto 2mb or upto 10mb line be a much better option?

If your paying more than a few hundred rand for uncapped adsl your being ripped off.
    Contact mweb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
    If your paying more than a few hundred rand for uncapped adsl your being ripped off.
    Contact mweb.
    What is a few hundred rand? R300? R900? What speed?
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Cape Town Weather and Imagery

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast