Sonde met die bure (lousy neighbours) - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hiluxman View Post
    It is possible, but while other dogs are also supposed to be behind gates or doors and not in the street, I dont feel its fair on us before those owners do whats right.
    So then catch the stray dogs and drop them off at the SPCA.
    '99 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0 @ 143000km
    "Frankenstein" 5" lift | Nomad Bumpers | Safari Snorkel | Gorman rocksliders | Khumo 31x10.5x15 | Jerry can holders | 29Mhz Radio | Custom roof rack | Dual Battery | ARB onboard compressor

A good relationship is the best thing, if they are prepared to allow you to spray them with water or teach you the dogs names so you can shout at them it might help.

Luckily for us, our dogs are very quiet at night even if we are not there, its the provocation at the street thats causing our dogs to bark.

Good luck
    '14 Caddy Trendline 2.0 TDi
    '12 Honda Jazz Hybrid (Swambo platkar)

The lady that complains are probably sexually frustrated or permanent pms. My wife can hear her from our house when se reprimands her staff in their garage office

I just ordered batteries for the next six months for dog anti bark collars. Maybe I should order batteries for her appliance too ha ha!

Considering installing video monitoring to see whats cooking when we are away

Still hoping a lawyer will respond :-)

I wont move

Our stand is 600 sq m, so the size is ok for our 3 dogs considering they get walked daily
    Haven't read your entire post, but dude !! 600 sq for 3 dogs ? Are they little ones ? P.S: walking them daily ain't going to solve any of your problems !
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Overlander
    2014 Range Rover Evoque 2.2 D
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Some meat with a few permanent sleeping pills
    Fixed.

2012 Sport FJ Cruiser "Black&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"

Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_J View Post
    Touchy subject I see, but I'll wade in here anyway with my experience...

I have two dogs, which we taught to not bark from the start. It works. These are the first dogs I've ever owned, and I've not done any dog training courses or anything, it's just common sense training.

Barking might be natural, but how much of a "natural" life do we give dogs anyway? We fit them into our lives, we don't fit into theirs. We teach them to poo outside, not to bite, to keep off the furniture, to walk on a lead, to sit, etc... so we're changing their natural behaviour to suit us anyway, so why not barking too?

A little discipline when they bark unnecessarily, and praise when they don't goes a long way. They still bark when there is a percieved threat, and we praise this. They don't bark any another time.
    +1

I can relate to this on so many levels, its how my parents brought up our dogs when we were young, and its how I am bringing up our first dog we have owned. Owner discipline dictates how your animal will behave around others. Also no "dog whisperer" training whatsoever.

We have neighbours with 2 jack russels, one HUGE boerboel, and a boxer cross something. They bark at everything, generally the jack russels yapping set the bigger dogs off, even with the owners at home they do not keep the dogs quiet. Whenever I venture closer than 10m (I have a large plot) to their fence, they bark incessantly. Is infuriating!!!

I agree with SimonB, I think you should look closer to home for the real issue, dogs require stimulation, not being locked in a yard the whole day.
    Nicholas Gibson

2005 Gen 3 Pajero 3.2 DiD Auto LWB
    Mods:
    ARB front bumper, OME, Lynx Bash Plate, Lynx Rock-sliders, Lynx rear steel bumper, Front Runner 40lt Long range tank, Madman EMS2 engine management module, dual battery system, 700FF spots

Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen

That is why I love English Buldogs. They are just too lazy to bark. But if they bark...boetie, there is a reason for it.

I live in a complex where a number of neighbours have dogs of all varieties. The smallest dogs are the biggest culprits. They make the most noise whilst having the least amount of reason to do so.
    This is compounded by another reason:- The noisiest dogs are also the most lonely. The neighbours who are at home a lot tend to have the quietest dogs. The neighbours who leave for work at 6am and get home at 20h00 or later tend to have the noisiest little Stukas..

I'd love to have a German Shepherd again, but my sense of fairness to the dog, as well as to my neighbours prohibits me from getting one.

If you're going to have dogs, be sure you have the time available to care for them and keep them company. Otherwise they WILL piss your neighbours off, and living in a complex, you need to be on good terms with your neighbours.

As for the business thing, whatever my neighbour does in his home is his own affair, however if traffic into the complex becomes an issue affecting the tranquiity and security of the complex, then it's time to move your business to a suitable premises.
    Doing the right thing achieves more than making the right noises.

A home business is a risk for neighbours, I stay at a house that is also a business and I can not even insure my belongings, according to the Insurance company a home business is a high risk due to people coming and going. You don't know if any of them are spying on possible break in possibilities etc.

The entire idea of staying in a security complex is to keep people that don't stay there out, hence reducing the risk for criminal activities.

There is strict rules about running a business from a residential property. No more than 25-30% must be for business purposes, there is various safety regulations to comply to etc. Put the law on them.

Anyway, if the neighbours move to a office there will be less to bark at.
    Last edited by JCMostert; 2013/02/04 at 08:58 AM.

Hi Hilux man

I feel your pain.
    I dont even live in a complex and have had issues about my dogs.. I wont bore you with the detail, but what it comes down to is that I am well within my rights.
    I have 3 dogs. We love them and look after them like children. We walk them almost everyday, mostly on the beach etc. We have a 1,997m2 yard and I believe they have the best I can give.

Accross from us, is a complex, which has "traffic". The maids that come every other day to clean, gardeners and other pedestrians moving in front of MY gate. Obviously this is what my dogs bark at. To make matters worse, The complex's alarm goes off at least 5 times a week. And the Chubb guy has not figured out yet that parking in front of my gate makes my dogs bark at him.. (Chubb guards are imo stupid..)

So, the "old" couple that lives behind us have complained. And I told them to f*ck off.

I have the dogs for my enjoy ment and protection. i am not always at home and my wife is home alone alot. They are my first line of defense(security) on top of all my other security items.

I have no control over the people moving in front of my gate. My house is in a "doodloop straat" so the complex is causing the amount of "traffic" otherwise there would be none - except for myself and the people living behind us.

Now, part of the reason I responded to the complaints in the manner I did was because the people behind us (also a sort of complex, but only sees others in holiday time) own peacocks.
    They are far worse than dogs. They make the most terrible noises at any time during the day. Especially at 04h00 in the mornings and late at night..

Now I have never complained about it and people like seeing them around when visiting us and they are also good "security guards"

So, I keep my dogs and keep giving them love and exercise etc etc etc
    Just leave me and my dogs alone. Rather rectify the othet problems causing barking..

P.S. My dogs do not bark throughout the day or constantly for long periods. Only when garden boys, postmen and house workers move past my gate. Thus almost never at night. If they bark at night I can go and look, there is something scaly outside, someone or something moving/sneaking around..

I dont know the rules of a complex. But if they allow you to own dogs they must have a set of rules for you to comply with..
    I guess you also know what I would say to the guy running a freakin bussiness in a complex next to me..

Cheers

Johann

G/more,

Ek het simpatie met jou, maar l;aat ek my deeltjie byvoeg mbt die honde geraas probleem.
    Ek is /n Landgoed Bestuurtder (Estate Manager) by een van die "Upmarket Estates" en ek moet erken dat asgevolg v/d die "nie-nakoming" van die reels en regulasies v/d Landgoed deur die Landgoed Bestuiurder nie, laat my wonder of hy sy selaris werd is. ALLE estates het reels en regulasies en almal verwys na honde wat raas of wat sonder toesig rondloop op die estate. Daar word ook verwys na reels en regulasies mbt besighede op die estate,maar as dit is soos daar gese word dat die bestaande reels en regulasies nie voldoende is nie, moet dit eenvoudig deur die HOA verander word.

Die van julle wat probleme het met rasende honde, stel 'n klagte op en gee dit aan die HOA sodat hulle kan optree. Daar kan aangedring word deur die inwoners dat 'n spesiale vergadering gehou word om die aangeleendheid te bewspreek. Doen dit.

Groete,
    Kobus B

Hiluxman

Why try to stop the dogs? Report them would of done it long ago.

The bloke directly over the road from me has a "stoepkakkertjie" that barks incescently. It doesn't bother me as I can switch off to that type of sound. But his direct neighbour cannot deal with it. So he rigged a siren poiting directly over the wall and everytime the dog starts his thing, the neighbour lets rip with the siren. My wife and I always have a good chuckle when we hear the siren, but it does seem to work. I think the dog gets such a fright it stops barking. Neighbour relations seem a little frazzled though

We live in security estate, and our neighbours complain about our 3 retrievers that bark at our gate during office hours (note, not at night). They run a fully fledged office with employees and courier vehicles coming and going daily, passing through our single entry and exit security gate. This is happening at a residential property which is not zoned for business purposes.

Our body corporate have not published house rules since 2007 when we built our house. This must be an offense?

I work at our companies office about 10km away, and until early January 2012, my wife also had an office job. The nanny is at home hen we are not, with instructions to silence the dogs

Our dogs, like any other dogs, barks at passers by, especially those that walk their dogs, or kids passing by on roller skates or bicycles, or when other home owners dogs roam freely up and down the street (strangely, our neighbours have never complained about this, the main root cause of the barking in our opinion). Our dogs are silent from sunset to sunrise unless given a good reason to react, like when criminals ran past our yard at night in Oct 2012 at 1am.

When I defended our situation after receiving phonecalls from the security gaurds at the gate, one of the directors sided with our neighbours saying it is legitimate if they run a business like he does as a single person who occasionally works from his home. (City council clearly makes a distinction between a one-man affair and a company with employees by the way)

We fitted anti bark collars which helped (layout of R3000 initially and R90 per month for batteries), and my wife is now at home and she keeps an eye herself in an attempt to limit any possible disturbance our dogs may cause.

We now see dogs from three different properties roaming the street and causing a comotion despite reporting this to the body corporate in 2012, yet the only complaints from our neighbour is always directed at our dogs.

This past sunday morning, we were away for 1 hour and 45 mins to attend church (from 8.45am), and a complaint was received for barking of our dogs

I feel that I can get the City of Jhb to investigate them for running this office from a residential property, I dont really know why I am still holding back. Them being in close proximity to our garden area and handling phone calls with customers closeby is a huge contributing factor (conveniently rejected by them and our kind body corporate director, who is probably their best buddy)

I also believe that it does not really matter who lives next to my neighbours, permitted you own a dog that can bark when provoked, you can bet you will have trouble with these people.

I will appreciate any good tips, especially from lawyers please, thank you
    In a sectional title unit the controlling body is the body corporate: that is all the owners of each and every unit acting at the AGM. The trustees are just the guys who have to execute the wishes of the BC. The trustees are obliged to give you a copy of the conduct rules prevailing. These should state some things about pets, noise and running a business. If there are no rules then the rules prescribed by the act should be followed.

If yours is a full title unit, then you will have a home owners association with directors. But the principles are the same.

So get the attention of your trustees/directors and show them the rules they need to apply. If that does not work, voice your grievances at the AGM (but make sure there are enough people to support your stance)

I am a trustee and that is how people work with us
    Good luck
    Stalmaat

Toyota KZTE 2001

Default Incessant barking dogs

Most complexes don't allow dogs at all anymore because of all the problem owners and their inability to control their noisy dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by barman1965 View Post
    the bloke directly over the road from me has a "stoepkakkertjie" that barks incescently. It doesn't bother me as i can switch off to that type of sound. But his direct neighbour cannot deal with it. So he rigged a siren poiting directly over the wall and everytime the dog starts his thing, the neighbour lets rip with the siren. My wife and i always have a good chuckle when we hear the siren, but it does seem to work. I think the dog gets such a fright it stops barking. neighbour relations seem a little frazzled though;d
    lol
    '94 Land Rover Defender 110, 200tdi
    *Injector pump tweaked
    *1Bar Boost
    *EGT and Boost gauge added
    *VNT Turbo
    *Full width intercooler
    *Straight through 63mm exhaust pipe

2008 BMW G650 Xchallenge

COFFEE.EXE Missing - Insert Cup and Press Any Key

Hiluxman I am also on the receiving end of barking dogs during the day and have my own opinion about dogs that bark when owners are not at home.

I also run a business from home ( normal residential suburb) and find it very irritating when neighbors dogs bark all day at nothing. Please forgive my bias opinion about this and I'm no dog whisperer, but I think 3 retrievers in any sized yard in a security estate is not the most suitable environment for a "working dog" that belongs on a farm. I have also noticed that most of the animals in those yards are not suited to their environment. Just because a dog is cute when its small does not mean it is the right size/breed dog for a specific area size or location.
    I have lived in 3 upmarket estates in Pretoria and served on their home owners board of directors and we all had the same issues. Dogs are quiet when owners are at home, but during the day and when they are out at night, the dogs go ballistic. I have also noticed that even though some owners are at home, they become oblivious to the barking and subconsiosly dont even hear the dogs barking. I have sympathy with your neighbors if your dogs are in fact a problem.
    If I could have it my way, all estate rules should only allow specific breeds of dogs and that's the law. If you have dogs that don't fit the profile, buy a house in another estate, but that's my opinion and I'm not sure if its practical.
    In certain states in America, dogs have their vocal cords removed surgically for avoidance of legal liabilities to their owners. This is no lie. I bought a dog from a breeder and she had 2 dogs that she imported from the USA that had the procedure done whilst the dogs lived in the USA. If your dogs are a nuisance in the USA, people sue you.

Secondly, at both the Estates I lived at, we encouraged businesses from home. I suppose the reason you live in an access controlled estate are for obvious security reasons. The plus side to having a few businesses in an estate is that there are more people at home during the day and more "eyes" on what happens in the estate during the day. I am not referring to a spaza shop type business, more an office based type business. The last thing you want is a deserted estate during daytime with unwanted elemets roaming freely and not being noticed. O Yes, no matter what the Security systems provide, they cant keep everyone out at all times, so having eyes and ears in the estate far outweighs the little discomfort of clients visiting those premises and that is in any case when you are not home, so there should be minimal disruptions.
    As far as working from home technicalities go, I'm no lawyer but if its not in the rules, you cant stop them from doing this. You also cant change the rules as it will be unconstitutional. You may however report this to local council and depending on by- laws they can look into it and if your neighbors are breaking the law, they can stop them from running that business from home.

I think a barking dog is a nuisance and no matter what or how its justified, owners should respect other peoples rights to not have a barking dog ruining their lives, because it can.

Good luck and remember....good neighborliness and relationships are more important than dogs, you never know one day you may need that guy whom lives next door.....
    Last edited by Dirtjock; 2013/02/04 at 10:49 AM.

Hi, the joys of complex living!!!!! try this site have had good results, and fair comment. www.paddocks.co.za/sectional-titles-online
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    Hiluxan, in greement with you. In order to operate a business 100% from home to the likes of what you described, the house needs to be zoned to have business rights. Your dogs are being agrivated by constant traffic at your gate and what else are your dogs supposed to do when strangers approach your gate time on end. I would personally set up a boxing match and contact the municipality and perhaps SARS....? (tough love)
    I don't think the issue is with the neighbors running the business from home or not. The point is they are at home most of the day and they have a problem with Hiluxman's dogs. Now if they are complaining about the dogs disturbing their clients, then I think they are in the wrong. Just speculating here.

If they had an office in a business zone, they would have been away from home like everybody else, and would not be irritated by my dogs barking. Many many other dogs bark in the cimplex and even roam freely, causing all dogs behind gates to be provoked

My dogs dont bark excessively at all.

I cant believe how many of you cant see anything wrong with running a business from a residentially zoned property. In the times we live in, criminals are prone to abuse anything they can find to slip through security measures
    '14 Caddy Trendline 2.0 TDi
    '12 Honda Jazz Hybrid (Swambo platkar)

Just my 2cents... I love my dogs, and from time to time they make me furious for barking and becoming a nuisance for my neighbours. But truth be told, they never bark at nothing... If people kept their cats and their dogs on their own properties and not roaming the streets on their own, and we did not have people walking up and down the street making use of our garbage bins 99% of the barking would also be eliminated. So, we might get mad at our dogs, but many a time the barking is a symptom of another problem which we blame on the dogs - which I believe is unfair towards them.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast