All well in the world of the Ford 3.2 engine?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question All well in the world of the Ford 3.2 engine?

OK, so I realize there are many stories, "my buurman se boetie se oupa se swaer", but I keep hearing troublesome stories about serious engine problems on the new 3.2 engine. I've read other similar threads here, but there are no hard facts to be found. Not many people have yet put 100 000km on a their new Rangers, so real-life experiences are not really available.

Thing is, I for one cannot believe it's just the Toyota guys spreading BS due to jealousy (just joking, guys )

Back to more serious stuff: Some of the failures I have heard of are very serious, e.g. not just turbo failure but also catastrophic engine damage. This also does not come from backyard mechanics or inexperienced 4x4 people. This begs the question: are the people who have had these problems just all non-forumers, or why is the information not being shared by owners?

I have owned a Ranger 2.5TD, Drifter 2.5TD and presently a Ranger 3.0TDCi. All of these vehicles have served me extremely well with no major issues apart from the infamous 5th gear issue (2003 Drifter 2.5TD). Of course, upon enquiry (at the time) Ford also denied there were serious known issues, go figure.

The new Ranger looks lke a marvellous machine, but I need to be sure. Are there known serious engine issues with the new 3.2 and can anyone offer first-hand info?
    Last edited by An3s; 2013/01/13 at 04:42 PM.

Hi An3s, I am still far from 100000km but my 3.2 have done 15000 faultless km. For what it's worth.

I've had the pleasure of owning a T6 3.2 since end February 2012.
    "Problems ?" Nothing what so ever, the first time it will see the workshop will be for the first service which is nearly due.
    T6 Ranger XLT 4x4 Double Cab Auto
    Echo Kavango (Modified)
    CanAm Spyder RS (My chick magnet)

In leisure wheels there was a Major engine issue(according to the writer of the story) with the ranger they took to Namibia i believe.They did not eloborate on it but it was collected on a flatbed.

This will be interesting. But remember, no motor is indestructible. I am sure there might have been some isolated cases but nothing to raise alarm about.

Mine is going for the 15 000 km service this next week. So far no worries. Still a little heavy on fuel but the most disappointing thing is the front seats for me and hope they soften up in time

If there is an issue with the 3.2 Ranger, I assume the issue would also be relevant to the Mazda BT-50?
    Current 4x4: 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI 4x4 Manual double cab

Third 4x4: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Manual

Second 4x4: 2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Manual 4x4 Double Cab

First 4x4: 2010 Nissan NP300 Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/C

Quote Originally Posted by An3s View Post
    OK, so I realize there are many stories, "my buurman se boetie se oupa se swaer", but I keep hearing troublesome stories about serious engine problems on the new 3.2 engine. I've read other similar threads here, but there are no hard facts to be found. Not many people have yet put 100 000km on a their new Rangers, so real-life experiences are not really available.

Thing is, I for one cannot believe it's just the Toyota guys spreading BS due to jealousy (just joking, guys )

Back to more serious stuff: Some of the failures I have heard of are very serious, e.g. not just turbo failure but also catastrophic engine damage. This also does not come from backyard mechanics or inexperienced 4x4 people. This begs the question: are the people who have had these problems just all non-forumers, or why is the information not being shared by owners?

I have owned a Ranger 2.5TD, Drifter 2.5TD and presently a Ranger 3.0TDCi. All of these vehicles have served me extremely well with no major issues apart from the infamous 5th gear issue (2003 Drifter 2.5TD). Of course, upon enquiry (at the time) Ford also denied there were serious known issues, go figure.

The new Ranger looks lke a marvellous machine, but I need to be sure. Are there known serious engine issues with the new 3.2 and can anyone offer first-hand info?
    You don't highlight any spesifics, so I see this as a storm in a teacup. I have done just over 10 thou kilometers now (incl. a Namibia trip) faultless. I love the power and speed of the 3.2. Also accelleration is superb for an auto
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Talking

100% Casper
    T6 Ranger XLT 4x4 Double Cab Auto
    Echo Kavango (Modified)
    CanAm Spyder RS (My chick magnet)

Friend bought one end November. Already 6 000km, no issues thus far. And his one travels at 140km/h most of the time.

fuel economy similar to the 1.8 Chev Sport, traveling at 160 km/h.
    Last edited by ChrisF; 2013/01/13 at 05:48 PM.

This engine is doing duty in the Transit since 2006.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

25000 faultless kilometers. 4x4 the crap out of it. Use it daily. No issues. Maybe the one used for LW was a dudd.

My T6 is making a ticking sound by the engin at low rpm. Dealer can't seem to find the problem. They said its the gearbox. They then put a new one in and guess what the noise is still there they then have the cheek to say all 3.2 have that noise. Still don't know what the problem is.

Thanks guys. I trust the product as you can see from my previous vehicle history. I am not one to cry wolf.

Just want to have peace of mind before spending serious dough on a new Ford Ranger 3.2.

Spook, it is difficult to get detailed information. I also do not want to put any specific sources on the spot. Being a Ford Ranger fan, I of course would like to see this vehicle succeed. I am however not too confident in major car manufacturers' honesty when it comes to sharing detail on serious problems. The 5th gear gearbox problem on the 2.5TD to me would be a good example of "see no evil..." etc.

Quote Originally Posted by An3s View Post
    Thanks guys. I trust the product as you can see from my previous vehicle history. I am not one to cry wolf.

Just want to have peace of mind before spending serious dough on a new Ford Ranger 3.2.

Spook, it is difficult to get detailed information. I also do not want to put any specific sources on the spot. Being a Ford Ranger fan, I of course would like to see this vehicle succeed. I am however not too confident in major car manufacturers' honesty when it comes to sharing detail on serious problems. The 5th gear gearbox problem on the 2.5TD to me would be a good example of "see no evil..." etc.
    All I can say is this.....Warranty. If it breaks, they must fix....finish and klaar

Mine has almost 60 000 km on the clock (Going in for service this week)
    Engine, gearbox, diffs are still fine. No issues, no funny noises (Apart from the injectors ticking at idle and the engine shutoff noises which are apparently normal)
    So I'm quite happy this far.

andre` Guest

Smile

Danie from Leisure Wheels drives an Amarok. Maybe he sabotaged it?
    Joke!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeynelster View Post
    All I can say is this.....Warranty. If it breaks, they must fix....finish and klaar
    True...but the inconvenience...and maybe it's just me, but would I want serious open / strip / repair / reassemble work on a brand new engine?

Anyway, from the feedback thus far, there have been more positive than negative reports.

Buy the Car! Sell it before the warantee goes out the window and get Tuff Stuff insurance

Mine has done 40k no problem Only problem it was hi jacked by SWAMBO Now driving her Jimney
    ( Nice Little car )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast