Kirisun PT260 Licence-Free UHF Portable Radios

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kirisun PT260 Licence-Free UHF Portable Radios

As I frequently am asked about the replacement product to the Stealth ST-200 and Kirisun PT446 UHF Licence-Free radios, let me provide some information here...

Kirisun has grown to become one of the foremost two-way radio suppliers in China, the factory produces high-quality equipment and now includes Digital radios in their portfolio as well. While these do not concern us at the moment, there are Clients who are already insisting on the Digital format. In time, Digital radios will drop in price and most likely replace Analog entirely.

Currently, the Kirisun range (for off-road purposes) that are proving to be top sellers include the following products:

KIRISUN PT260 "LICENCE-FREE" UHF PORTABLE RADIO

FEATURES:

LICENCE-FREE. 500mW UHF Portable Radio.
    Supplied with Ni-Cad Battery Pack, Charger, 16-
    Channels. Available in Black. Includes Battery &
    Charger. This radio is available as a Licenced UHF
    Portable as well, for Neighbourhood Watch
    systems.

The radios we have tested so far are compatible with other products in the UHF Licence-Free UHF band. In the two years since these radios have been available, we have sold far in excess of 1200 and have yet to have a come-back, so their quality is beyond approach.

Please PM me should you require further information.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Smile

Hi Family Dog
    What are you selling this radios for . Please

2000 Land Rover Disco2 TD5 XS AT

Bump.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

What king of range ?
    I would assume line of sight comms only.
    Ross

Hi guys,, sorry, was away in Poitjiestroom most of the day today.

D'Tank, I have replied to your PM.

Hi Fluffy, trust you had some good news today?

Ross, yes, any portable radio works line of sight plus perhaps 10%. In practice, people have reported 1 to 1.5km when used in vehicles on the open road, but between 6-8km when used with an external magnetic base antenna on each vehicle. I have had reports of greater distances achieved but I prefer to stick with what works. The aboive figures assume an open, flat road.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Thks

Default Faulty Kirisun Pt260

Can you please confirm where i can have it repaired?

You are most welcome to send it to us, PM me if you wish to proceed.

Out of 2500 of these models sold over the last 3 years, we have only had two requiring repair - one was driven over and one fell from a Grain Silo to the concrete roadway 20M below, they do not simply "break"!

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Default Price on the radios

Hi Family Dog

Do you have a price on that radios

Please PM me your email address and I will get back to you.

(Click on my "Family_Dog" name and select "Send a Private Message").

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Just a caution

We use many of these radio's in security, they are good quality, but are not weather-proof, or water resistant....just replaced three with Motorola CP 040 as they were completely written off, cannot be repaired by Emcomm!!

Well... as these are entry-level radios, there has never been any claim that they are waterproof! At half the cost of the CP040 (which product has reached its EOL and is now discontinued), they are rated as splash-proof and dust-proof - exactly the same rating as the CP040.

Don't believe me? Go dunk your CP040 in a bucket of water - it will be written off.

To set the record straight: We have repaired one that fell into a swimming pool on a Sunday afternoon, the owner only brought it to us only the following Thursday. Explaining to him that it's now toast as he had left it too long, we gave it a go anyway. We did repair it, albeit without a guarantee, as water/corrosion damage, once started, is irreversible. That was at the beginning of the year, the radio is still working. Prompt action in removing a battery after a radio has been dunked and getting it to an authorised dealer ASAP, will go a long way to saving the radio.

We do have several fully IP67 rated waterproof radios available, but they come at a cost and are in use by fire Departments etc, but the CP040 is certainly not one of them.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

How does one set CTC codes on these radios, or does it also need to be done with a cable/software same as Zartek.
    They look very simillar to the Zartek from the pics.
    .................................................. ......
    Gary W

Discovery 2 (Td5) Best 4x4xfar
    BMW 1200 GS Best 2x1xfar
    Jurgens XT120..home away from home.

All programming is via software. The licence-free models are pre-programmed with the LF frequencies and CTCSS tones but we do optionally supply a programming cable and software for users to change the tones, if required.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Smile kirisun pt260

Bought 2 hand held pt260's ; still very happy with their performance ; from the boat to the caravan and between boats while we are fishing ; we were in pilansberg earlier in the year and got coms to the challet up to 4,2 km distance then it faded ; but good performance i think ; i have no external aerial at all.;

Glad you're happy with them, Jayefe! The PT260 is an exceptional little radio and it really does perform very well indeed.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Default Re: Kirisun PT260 Licence-Free UHF Portable Radios

Hi F_D,

I have three questions:

1. The PT3600 is a little bit more expensive than the PT260. The only difference I could find on the net is that the PT3600 delivers a better audio output. Is that all? Just better audio, or is the PT3600 actaully better in more functionality?

2. Is "license free" operation available on the VHF band too, or just UHF? To my knowledge, both radios can operate on less than 1W, but what the frequency band?

3. Is it possible to have a radio programmed for both licensed and license free operation? In other words, can I program the radio to have one channel on a 5W licensed frequency and the another channel set to a 500mW, public license free frequency?

Cheers,
    J
    Last edited by Jakkie75; 2016/05/08 at 09:25 PM.

Hi F_D,

I have three questions:

1. The PT3600 is a little bit more expensive than the PT260. The only difference I could find on the net is that the PT3600 delivers a better audio output. Is that all? Just better audio, or is the PT3600 actaully better in more functionality?

There are minor circuitry changes as well, the PT260 is designed as an 'Entry Level' portable radio whereas the PT3600 is built more for the Commercial sector. Having said that, we have well over 1000 PT260 radios being used in the Mining and Agricultural industries with great success. It's a tough radio!

2. Is "license free" operation available on the VHF band too, or just UHF? To my knowledge, both radios can operate on less than 1W, but what the frequency band?

Although it is possible to downpower the VHF version of the radio, only the 446MHz UHF frequencies have been approved for "licence-free" operation in SA.

3. Is it possible to have a radio programmed for both licensed and license free operation? In other words, can I program the radio to have one channel on a 5W licensed frequency and the another channel set to a 500mW, public license free frequency?

As long as the PT260 is a UHF portable radio, you can certainly operate it on the L/F as well as Commercial channels. It will not, however, operate in combined VHF/UHF modes. It is, after all, an "Entry Level" radio and priced accordingly.

Hope this helps you...

-F_D
    Last edited by Family_Dog; 2016/05/09 at 06:54 AM.
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Ahhh Damn, I was hoping that point 2 would be yes. We use VHF radio's in our club for 4x4 trips. Since I have some channels to spare, I wanted to use them for license free by just setting the output to 500mW and one of the approved VHF frequencies... Point 3 is what I wanted, but then again, I need to buy another UHF radio now anyway... To my knowledge, no dual band radio is approved in SA anyway. So it's either or...

I heard that it's near impossible to apply for a license from ICASA if you are not a registered business. Apparently you need to justify the need for the radios. I don't mind paying the license fee, but it seems that one cannot apply for personal use. Is this correct?

Thanks F_D

Quote Originally Posted by Jakkie75 View Post
    Ahhh Damn, I was hoping that point 2 would be yes. We use VHF radio's in our club for 4x4 trips. Since I have some channels to spare, I wanted to use them for license free by just setting the output to 500mW and one of the approved VHF frequencies... Point 3 is what I wanted, but then again, I need to buy another UHF radio now anyway... To my knowledge, no dual band radio is approved in SA anyway. So it's either or...

I heard that it's near impossible to apply for a license from ICASA if you are not a registered business. Apparently you need to justify the need for the radios. I don't mind paying the license fee, but it seems that one cannot apply for personal use. Is this correct?

Thanks F_D
    There is in fact a Dual Band approved and available in SA. It is the Vratvark 2 available from Dirk Bothma here on the forum.

But I have this to say. It seems like a good idea, but in reality it is not that practical unless the two uses (VHF Licenced and UHF L/F) are completely separate. If you are in a mixed situation like 4x4 and over landing where some are on VHF 4x4 frequencies and others are on license free, you may be better off with separate radios.

And I am speaking from experience here, I probably have close to thirty radios, including Vratvark 1 and 2, Bosvark, Krimpvark, Allan, Yeasu, Kenwood, Zartek, Cobra, and others, covering from DC to Light at up to 400W
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast