Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 82

Page 82 of 151 FirstFirst ... 32 57 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 107 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 3006

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    No, according to Jeremy Clarkson, you just need a bigger hammer... ;-)))
    20 ton hammer would do the trick but I don't think TuffStuff would agree.

I firmly believe in excluding possibilities.

1. Electrical seems to be excluded, due to the lack of error codes.
    2. EGR blanked or not seems to make no difference.
    3. Diesel quality is excluded since you filled up with fresh diesel.

I suspect the diesel FILTER.
    After you replaced it, the miss was gone for a while.
    There could have been enough gunk in the tank to (eventually) block the new filter as well.
    With a blocked filter, the tandem pump can't provide enough flow &/ pressure, making the tandem pump "look" suspect.
    The blocked filter could be the cause of the reduced return flow as well.

Buy a new filter (ouch!).
    Remove the fitted filter.
    If it is blocked, replace.
    If not blocked, you have a spare filter to keep (in the vehicle) for future use.

Without replacing the filter, you could be looking at results of a blocked filter.

Can one fit an in-line filter somewhere to filter out any large dirt, before it gets to the main filter?

Sent by 4e, from my iPad using Forum Runner

"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. ..... and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein

If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
    - '

It could be pretty simple to fit an inline pre-filter but it needs to be able to handle 1bar of pressure (plus the temperature of fuel - max 90 celsius) from the intank pump that feeds the tandem pump.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    It could be pretty simple to fit an inline pre-filter but it needs to be able to handle 1bar of pressure (plus the temperature of fuel - max 90 celsius) from the intank pump that feeds the tandem pump.
    Why would fuel from the tank be that hot?

Sent by 4e, from my iPad using Forum Runner

"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. ..... and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein

If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
    - '

the intank pump feeds the tandem pump at about 1 bar. The tandem pump feeds the injectors at about 4-8 bar. The cam operated injectors pressurises the fuel to about 2000bar before the piezo solenoid injects the fuel.

All this pressure and the run of fuel through the cylinder head, heats the fuel. The return then runs back to the tank and over time the fuel usually stabilises at about 60-70 celsius depending on how full the tank is. That is why running the tank low is a bad idea as the fuel can heat up to about 90 celsius.

When I struggled with a miss under load, there were no fault codes stored.....that was a dodgy injector connection. Also absent when cold and only appeared once warm.
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Blomquist View Post
    When I struggled with a miss under load, there were no fault codes stored.....that was a dodgy injector connection. Also absent when cold and only appeared once warm.
    I thought that as well, but I have tried two harnesses now and with both I tried crimping the injector connections closed. It made no difference.

Is there a chance you could measure your return flow for me to have a comparative indication? You will see the short pipe from the fuel cooler to filter.

Disconnect that short pipe at the filter and then run a hose from the filter nipple to a container. Let the car idle and measure the amount of diesel that comes out there over 60 seconds.

Cool, will give it a bash this afternoon after work, I am assuming that I connect a hose to the pipe coming from the cooler as opposed to the actual filter nipple?
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.

Cool, will give it a bash this afternoon after work, I am assuming that I connect a hose to the pipe coming from the cooler as opposed to the actual filter nipple?
    I'll post up a video/pics later to make sure you do it right. Last thing I want is for you to get air in your system or something. I'd never forgive myself if my issues branches to your car.

Thanks.

Press the blue button on the pipe and pull the connector off. (Filter marking "RT")

The connect a pipe to allow fuel flow away from the car

Then start the car and let the fuel fill the hose. Once you have a steady flow start the timer and direct the fuel into a measuring jug (about 2l in capacity) for 60 seconds. Report back on volume pumped out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140324-00597.jpg 
Views:	1946 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	272842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140324-00598.jpg 
Views:	1298 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	272843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140324-00599.jpg 
Views:	1095 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	272844  

Cool, will do the test this arvie and let you know.....
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.

Cool, will do the test this arvie and let you know.....
    Thanks a million. Holding breath....

Nee wat, I'll stick to old school engines, or else sell before the warranty and motor plans expire.............
    4x4AG : GP0314-NW : EXPIRED
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP
    Ex: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7HO
    Ex: 1989 Land Rover 110 3.5 V8 County Station Wagon
    Ex: 1996 Nissan Sani VG30 4x4 SW
    Ex: 1984 Land Rover 110 V8 Pickup
    Ex: 1995 Nissan TD27 4x4 Double Cab
    Ex: 2003 Hyundai Terracan 3.5 V6

Marius, was your fuel volume test done with the engine hot or cold? I.e. think it would be interesting if you also did this test in both states. If the flow is only less when hot, then you are onto something. If the same in both scenarios, then your car should also be presenting the issue when cold.

Does a hot tandem pump perform differently? Does a hot fuel filter/fuel perform differently I would imagine higher flow rates with higher temperatures due to the diesel becoming more liquid as it is heated (especially for a fuel filter), i.e. higher flow; yet your problem is only present with the vehicle hot.

I don't agree that all electronic related problems will always report fault codes. Don't think so.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Nee wat, I'll stick to old school engines, or else sell before the warranty and motor plans expire.............
    A wonder what VW would have said if this was a warranty claim. I'm sure they would say it was bad fuel so the warranty does not apply. Catch 22 as BP said the fuel was fine.

I'm learning a lot here, but I assure you my next car will be a less complicated car or one with a warranty.

I just have bad luck with this car. There are many touaregs and other modern diesels that don't give any hassles.

I just have bad luck with this car. There are many touaregs and other modern diesels that don't give any hassles.
    The problem is that you have endless poefie when they do go wrong.

Makes you stop wondering why car values drop so much after the warranty expires.
    4x4AG : GP0314-NW : EXPIRED
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP
    Ex: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7HO
    Ex: 1989 Land Rover 110 3.5 V8 County Station Wagon
    Ex: 1996 Nissan Sani VG30 4x4 SW
    Ex: 1984 Land Rover 110 V8 Pickup
    Ex: 1995 Nissan TD27 4x4 Double Cab
    Ex: 2003 Hyundai Terracan 3.5 V6

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Marius, was your fuel volume test done with the engine hot or cold? I.e. think it would be interesting if you also did this test in both states. If the flow is only less when hot, then you are onto something. If the same in both scenarios, then your car should also be presenting the issue when cold.

Does a hot tandem pump perform differently? Does a hot fuel filter/fuel perform differently I would imagine higher flow rates with higher temperatures due to the diesel becoming more liquid as it is heated (especially for a fuel filter), i.e. higher flow; yet your problem is only present with the vehicle hot.

I don't agree that all electronic related problems will always report fault codes. Don't think so.
    I'll test mine this afternoon again.

Yes, not all electrical problems give errors. From my findings thus far it seems to point to a fuel shortage issue.

On a side note : This return pipe test is also a good test for injector seals. If you use a transparent hose you can observe for bubbles. After 60 seconds there should be no bubbles coming through the pipe. If there is bubbles at the start you may have have an air leak somewhere. Once the car has been running for a minute the pressure should push all those air bubbles out. If the bubbles persist you have a seal leak at the injector heat seal washer.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The problem is that you have endless poefie when they do go wrong.

Makes you stop wondering why car values drop so much after the warranty expires.
    Jip. I initially wanted a gen4 pajero but they were out of my budget. If I take into account all the money that's gone into this car plus all the interest I'm paying on my engine loan etc. I might as well have bought a gen4 pajero.

Jip. I initially wanted a gen4 pajero but they were out of my budget. If I take into account all the money that's gone into this car plus all the interest I'm paying on my engine loan etc. I might as well have bought a gen4 pajero.
    And possibly had issues too? Don't see the 3.2 DID being that much less complicated.

- Ok so it's CRD vs. PD, - which comes with it's own risks/issues.
    - Has turbo & intercooler just like the R5
    - Sensors everywhere for everything as does the R5

Yes, the engine itself is less high-tech, i.e. you could re-sleeve it etc... Yes, no air suspension, but that has not been an issue for you except where rats were involved.

Main difference would probably be the mileage and age you would have bought at.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    And possibly had issues too? Don't see the 3.2 DID being that much less complicated.

- Ok so it's CRD vs. PD, - which comes with it's own risks/issues.
    - Has turbo & intercooler just like the R5
    - Sensors everywhere for everything as does the R5

Yes, the engine itself is less high-tech, i.e. you could re-sleeve it etc... Yes, no air suspension, but that has not been an issue for you except where rats were involved.

Main difference would probably be the mileage and age you would have bought at.
    True. I suppose I'm just feeling down.

I know majority of the issues is not the car's fault. It just makes you lose confidence in it.

I suppose once it's all back up and running I may feel better about it.