Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 73

Page 73 of 151 FirstFirst ... 23 48 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 98 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 3006

Hear you, but it is a rather fine line though,have been in that position,not lekker,end of the day it's your gut that will speak to you !!

So Marius, back on the road again?
    To achieve greatness, stop asking for permission!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws. View Post
    Was the excess for the towing waived because of your post or was it a mistake from the beginning from TS side to charge it?

I have not checked my policy in detail regarding flatbeds and recovery fees, driving a boring appliance leads to complacency it seems.
    Sorry, but TUFFSTUFF will not be influenced by opinions posted on any forum. We will honour policy conditions as they are. Without fear or favour.
    I have never seen a wild animal feeling sorry for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond du Plessis View Post
    Sorry, but TUFFSTUFF will not be influenced by opinions posted on any forum. We will honour policy conditions as they are. Without fear or favour.

Good to hear Raymond.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws. View Post
    Was the excess for the towing waived because of your post or was it a mistake from the beginning from TS side to charge it?

I have not checked my policy in detail regarding flatbeds and recovery fees, driving a boring appliance leads to complacency it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond du Plessis View Post
    It was a mistake by the call center who is not directly TS. They are outsourced as far as I understand it.

When I was in Douglas with the rat that chewed my air line I asked Raymond what the procedure would have been in case of a breakdown and he told me the car will be recovered home and a rental organised, all part of the policy. I didn't use them then as I had other means of getting the car sorted but this time I was in a predicament and needed my insurance.

That is what made me get in contact with Raymond as the call center were contradicting what Raymond told me a few weeks ago.

Raymond stuck to the policy and got everything sorted. I hated to get him involved on a Sunday morning but he was awesome and I am truly thankful for his efforts. It made the whole wait and car breakdown easier to swallow.

Now I'm just fighting with Europcar to get my deposit back. Strange how they can take it quick quick but when it comes to giving it back.....

Marius
    dont look at this as bad luck as some naysayers do.
    you took on this project and once the engine was done, you knew there would be niggles.unfortunately some niggles pop up in a bad spot.( the guy stuck in the desert somewhere with his disco that popped an airline).
    what you have is a lot of wear and tear. this is not a problem. the engine had a problem which you fixed.
    you even showed us some oke that 774,000 kms on his R5 in germany. do you not think he had his fair share of cush drives packing up on the alternator etc.
    when people ask me how do i know what i am getting when they buy a car, i reply buy a car thats been in an accident then fix it up and then you know what you have.
    You marius are in that boat. you know what you have. keep the car and soon, all the small stuff will be sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    Marius
    dont look at this as bad luck as some naysayers do.
    you took on this project and once the engine was done, you knew there would be niggles.unfortunately some niggles pop up in a bad spot.( the guy stuck in the desert somewhere with his disco that popped an airline).
    what you have is a lot of wear and tear. this is not a problem. the engine had a problem which you fixed.
    you even showed us some oke that 774,000 kms on his R5 in germany. do you not think he had his fair share of cush drives packing up on the alternator etc.
    when people ask me how do i know what i am getting when they buy a car, i reply buy a car thats been in an accident then fix it up and then you know what you have.
    You marius are in that boat. you know what you have. keep the car and soon, all the small stuff will be sorted.
    Thanks Dan. My thought exactly.

I suppose because I post every niggle my car seems to be a problem child but if I stand back and look at it objectively it's no worse than any other high end second hand car you might buy out of warranty. (After the engine swap of course)

Truth be told, I forgot I had a bumper to bumper warranty as it's cover is so small but because I have a spare injector the warranty will cover (only just) the labour and seals. (5 hours @ R600/hour). I had a dud injector on the donor engine and I swapped that in 30 minutes!

I'm using them as well as I insisted they do all the injectors's lash adjustments as well and I don't like doing that job. On top of that, I should have some sort of workmanship warranty.

I'm dropping it off at VW on Thursday morning.

I don't like them working on my car as the last time they cost me a pretty penny due to the screw chaffing the AC condenser.... but, let's see how it goes.

You cant really generalise when saying "VW" I mean, the VW in Uitenhage (25km from PE) is by far better that the one in PE itself. Even the labour rates are differently. In terms of workmanship, I'd rather take my vehicle to the crowd 25km away, in your case, EL probably only have one VW dealership, which you dont trust, but the point Im trying to make is that you can't say all of them are like that.

By the way, awsome topic and I'm following it closely, and I dont drive a Touareg, maybe I'll buy one......never no.....sold my bakkie so I am in the look out for a vehicle, and a VW it will be.
    Sent from my iPhone

Vw's are great cars but technologically advanced. If looked after they last forever but dont take kindly to poor upkeep.

I forgot to share the beautiful pics I took on the way to Cape Town.

Decided to take a detour via Swartbergpass

Can you believe how cheap it was?

So I have started the work today.

Less than an hour to get where I got and that included 4 trips walking back to the workshop to fetch tools I forgot.

First remove the engine cover

Then the EGR pipe (4 bolts of 14mm socket and ratchet)

The oil filler. 3 torx bolts

PCV Valve

Tappet cover sound insulator

Then all the many many many 10mm captive bolts for the tappet cover

Front of engine cover - 3x 16mm bolts

Then the front crank seal/plug/cover - the round thing that gets mangled. It just pulls out with difficulty. I actually managed to get this one out pretty neat but a new one is waiting for me at VW. About R75.00

My DIY crank turning tool from the engine swap. I'll only need this when I set the injector lash adjustment.

5 cylinders exposed. What a fantasticly simplistic design. The pumpe duse system generates injection pressures only rivalled recently by modern common rail engines. Hence the great fuel economy and torque of pumpe duse engines. The picture is deceiving and it looks like sludge in the tappet area. It isn't. It's just black oil coating the unsmoothed surface of the head making it look like sludge.

The tappet cover's underside. Picture makes it look dirty but it's pretty clean. Also remember that the car has done about 9000km since the last oil change.

The replacement injector for number 3 and it's seal kit.

Super clean tip. It comes untouched (apart from Q20 spray and storage) out of the old engine that was run on 2SO. Not a drop of carbon deposits. I will be keen to see what the number 3 injector looks like when I take it out.
    Last edited by MariusFourie; 2015/07/09 at 03:20 PM.

I wish there was someone that could do this with a Landy. The new Rsa haines.

Think I should patent my thread and print it?

Hahahaha

I wanted to mentioned that underside of that tappet cover is a bit black, considering that you only covered 60% of the mileage before the VW claimed service interval.

I know diesel oil tend to go black very quickly, but my next question is, do you use 50ppm diesel or 500pm diesel?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I wanted to mentioned that underside of that tappet cover is a bit black, considering that you only covered 60% of the mileage before the VW claimed service interval.

I know diesel oil tend to go black very quickly, but my next question is, do you use 50ppm diesel or 500pm diesel?
    You can see how my reduced mileage oil changes have started to clean the tappet cover. Some parts are shiny and clean.

I use whatever is available at the pump. Im not fussed, but 500ppm is getting scarce so mostly 50ppm with some 2 SO.

I change oil every 10'000km. Im not convinced a diesel (or petrol) engine should do more than that before changing the oil. I just dont think the oil can handle the many heat cycles, especially in pumpe duse engines where the demand on the oil is huge on the camshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    You can see how my reduced mileage oil changes have started to clean the tappet cover. Some parts are shiny and clean.

I use whatever is available at the pump. Im not fussed, but 500ppm is getting scarce so mostly 50ppm with some 2 SO.

I change oil every 10'000km. Im not convinced a diesel (or petrol) engine should do more than that before changing the oil. I just dont think the oil can handle the many heat cycles, especially in pumpe duse engines where the demand on the oil is huge on the camshaft.
    The chemical engineering behind the latest oil technology allows for modern diesel engines in Europe (where most parts of the continent uses 5ppm - 10ppm) have an oil change interval of 20 000km (Refer European Amarok).

Obviously in South Africa is nearly impossible as our sulphur content is 10x to 100x if not more than EU standards, so oil change intervals are much shorter. Also, remember the first modern VW diesels introduced in 2002/2003 where oil changes were at 7500km.
    Sent from my iPhone

sorry guys. Got so carried away and focused, I forgot to take pics of the rest of the process.

It's scary stretching the new bolts.
    First start sounded terrible as the little bit of diesel and oil that flowed into the cylinder when you remove the injector gets ignited early.
    Then a very rocky and tappety idle for about 30 seconds until the injector fills with diesel and starts spraying.

She's idling beautifully now and revving up smoothly so a road test will confirm if she is sorted now.

VCDS doesn't report any fault with the new injector so far.

Good news!

"Two things are infinite. The universe and human stupidity. ..... and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein

If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
    - '

Happy days