Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 66

Page 66 of 151 FirstFirst ... 16 41 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 91 116 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 3006

Aircon not sorted yet, haven't been able to give the vehicle up for a few days, missus is writing exams. Hoping to take it in next week, but will see. Seems our aftermarket warranty will pay R4500 of that, who knows if they actually will though.

Yeah, as Marius said, the 3 power/ground cables. I have a cap, 3 farad. I suspect it is too far from the amps, but i have to build something to mount it on to get it closer. Job for the holidays. But want to do the cable change outs anyway, its a fun job.
    2006 Touareg R5 - SPORTSVANS body lift, Alpine Type R sound system:
    http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...ouareg+stealth

2010 Volvo XC60 D5 R Design
    2013 Polo Vivo traffic mobile
    2012 Husaberg TE300

Interesting info I got from <snip> regarding a merc ML 320 CDi.

Owner recalls a glowplug being removed by "mechanical means" (as per invoice) a few months ago on the same cylinder.

Letter from dealer

To whom it may concern.

Mr *********ís vehicle, registration XXX XXX XX, was brought to ****** for a hard

starting problem. Upon investigation the engine battled to start and had an eratic idle.

An injector leak-off test was performed and excessive diesel leak-off on injectors 2 and 6 was

found.

We then proceeded with a compression test with cylinder 6 having the least amount of

compression. The cylinder head was removed and cylinder 6 had damage due to foreign object.

The entire engine was then removed and stripped to determine the extent of the damage, which

was localized to just the piston and the cylinder head.

The effected parts will be replaced as well as a set of Conrod bearings, as these were removed

for inspection, and will be replaced on principle.

The rest of the engine bolt-on components were inspected for signs of damage in an attempt to

find the origin of the foreign object. All parts concerned are intact and in working order.

We have failed to allocate the source, however we have determine there is no component

failure.

Thanking you in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston crown.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	248378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston skirt.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	248379  

i am surprised that the bearings were not replaced. If a foreign object was found then it may have created a sudden stoppage to the piston and so created extra pressure on the bearings of said conrod

according to the letter they did replace the conrod bearings.

It's a bit overkill though. My R5 engine's piston that ate the rings looked way worse and the conrod and piston journal was spotless.

Looks familiar?
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Blomquist View Post
    Looks familiar?
    very!

It strengthens my theory that this is exactly what happened to mine.

electronic fault was the original cause leading to mechanical

Quote Originally Posted by Kiboko View Post
    electronic fault was the original cause leading to mechanical
    Sounds to me like the glowplugs was originally at the end of their life.

The workshop made a bugger up in removing them and probably ended up breaking out the glowplug which dropped a tip, or part thereof, in the chamber.

They then either tried to suck or fish it out instead of taking the head off and making sure all the debris is out.

Over time the pounding of the parts ruined the piston, injector tip and it would eventually got to the rings as well.

A particle the size of grain of sand can do major damage over very little time if it doesn't get blown out.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Sounds to me like the glowplugs was originally at the end of their life.

The workshop made a bugger up in removing them and probably ended up breaking out the glowplug which dropped a tip, or part thereof, in the chamber.

They then either tried to suck or fish it out instead of taking the head off and making sure all the debris is out.

Over time the pounding of the parts ruined the piston, injector tip and it would eventually got to the rings as well.

A particle the size of grain of sand can do major damage over very little time if it doesn't get blown out.
    whoops

Sounds very familiar. He just had a little more luck as to the extent of the damage.

I guess this begs the question, should glow-plugs perhaps not be replaced at a set interval, before they start giving problems, i.e. before thay are brittle whereby we avoid running the risk of debries in the combustion chamber on removal.

Never removed a glow-plug. Would it be blatantly obvious that a part has seperated? I can imagine if they are removed by force and the whole thing crumbles, it would be very very difficult to determine if all pieces are accounted for.

Much easier to just put the new one in and give the customer a big smile.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

I think the problem comes when replacing them. I don't think they give hassles while in use.

I don't want to start another 2SO debate here that is part of the reason I use 2SO is to keep the carbon buildup, which could make removing the glowplugs difficult, at bay for easier removal.

I should perhaps go and see how difficult it is to remove my old engine's glowplugs.

I remember though that my new engine arrived with the glowplugs being loose from the compression test organised by the forum members and so far no ill news or shudders.

I am not touching my glowplugs until they give starting issues. And I'll soak them everyday for a week with Q20 before removing.

you can see here that the glowplug tip sticks out a bit and I suppose when the engine is cold (rich mixture and glow plug hot) there could easily creep in some carbon deposits where the glowplug sits and bake it in with every glowplug cycle.

I think the problem comes when replacing them. I don't think they give hassles while in use.

I don't want to start another 2SO debate here that is part of the reason I use 2SO is to keep the carbon buildup, which could make removing the glowplugs difficult, at bay for easier removal.

I should perhaps go and see how difficult it is to remove my old engine's glowplugs.

I remember though that my new engine arrived with the glowplugs being loose from the compression test organised by the forum members and so far no ill news or shudders.

I am not touching my glowplugs until they give starting issues. And I'll soak them everyday for a week with Q20 before removing.
    I think you should tip your car upside down when taking out the glow plug , so if any part breaks it will fall out.
    seriously, i would not use q20, its too thick, i would use a very thin oil, like a penetrating oil

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Have a look on page 20 of the attached.

"In combustion engines, pressure differences between
    the combustion chamber and crankcase lead to air
    flows between the piston rings and cylinder contact
    surface; these are called blow-by gases.
    To prevent environmental pollution, these gases,
    which contain oil, are fed back to the intake area via
    the crankcase breather system.
    A cyclonic oil separator separates the oil contained in
    the gases from the air. This oil is returned to the oil
    pan via a port in the crankcase."
    Hallo Dieter

Where did you get this service training "paper of gold"?

I would like to download one for our R5

Thanks

04 VW Touareg R5, air suspension, rear diff lock, due for kitting out.
    05 Mahindra Bolero S/cab 4x4, CBA4x4 Front & Rear Bumpers, Rock Sliders, Belly Plate, 31 10.50 15 AT's, 2" Lift - SOLD
    00 Audi A4 1.8T

Life is about living. Each day on its own, one at a time. Right here, Right now, No regrets!!
    Did you live today? It doesn't help you save it up for one day. Tomorrow might never come!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertus Mouton View Post
    Hallo Dieter

Where did you get this service training "paper of gold"?

I would like to download one for our R5

Thanks
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=156956

ok, so my ballast decided it wanted to work for a while and then it failed completely.

Not even the light leveling works. The stepper motor just keeps pulling power until the fuse pops.

Time to shop for a ballast. They are bloody expensive. If anybody sees a scrapped touareg, audi, seat somewhere, please check if there is a ballast there for sale.

This is the part

Valeo LAD5G
    http://www.hidorigin.com/valeo-hid-r...ast-lad5g.html

Or if someone can repair it like this guy?

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Ballast-Repair

you can see here that the glowplug tip sticks out a bit and I suppose when the engine is cold (rich mixture and glow plug hot) there could easily creep in some carbon deposits where the glowplug sits and bake it in with every glowplug cycle.

Mercedes has had problems with glowplug removal since the OM606.

You are right Marius, it seems the main reason is carbon build up for the difficult removal. I guess the shape of the orifice where the glowplug sits has something to do with it too?

The best way seems to be to remove the glowplugs when the engine is still hot. A tad uncomfortable but better than breaking one off in the head and having to drill it out and ending up with something in the engine.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by munga; 2013/11/15 at 08:27 AM.

Installed some pencil beam spotlights today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    As per the pencil spots installed on your Toouareg.

Maybe an answered question:

But Why is the high and low beams on the "double optic / zenon lights" different in colour?

05 Mahindra Bolero S/cab 4x4, CBA4x4 Front & Rear Bumpers, Rock Sliders, Belly Plate, 31 10.50 15 AT's, 2" Lift - SOLD
    00 Audi A4 1.8T

Life is about living. Each day on its own, one at a time. Right here, Right now, No regrets!!
    Did you live today? It doesn't help you save it up for one day. Tomorrow might never come!

BAIE DANKIE Marius

Ek sien die 2.5 TDi Touareg dokument / link op 305 wil nie oopmaak nie. Hopelik net 'n tydelike error.

Groete

00 Audi A4 1.8T