Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 4

Page 4 of 154 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Sounds solid, who knows, you might end up with a new engine at the end of this drama.
    If that happens I actually feel sorry for the seller. I'm sure he didn't know about it but it's still the turn of the wheel.

A new engine plus labour will be way more than what I actually paid for the car.

Let me get this straight. You bought a 2005 Treg with a couple of hundred thousand km's on the clock. Did you buy the vehicle directly from a dealer, or was it a private sale? If you bought it as a private sale, is the seller a mechanic?

You drove it happily for two months, all the while singing its praises on the Forum. It then develops a problem that you're not sure if the seller knew about, and you want him or the agent to repair at their expense? What you are neglecting to read into the Act is "reasonable durability". You didn't notice a problem with the vehicle for two months (and you seem to be pretty sharp with things mechanical), so how would you expect a dealer or seller to have known? You can only get away with this if you can prove that they knew about the defect.

Lastly, did you use 2so on the Treg?

I personally don't think you have a leg to stand on, but fortunately for you my opinion doesn't count.

I have to admit.

I would have just taken it on the chin and sorted it out by myself.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2010 jimny - sold what a 4x4
    2001 colt V6 - sold (drinker)

long story short. It had a slight vibration (which i pointed out to the dealer). It came and went intermittently.

Only now do we realised that was a piston slowly losing compression.

Not him or me knew. He claims it was inspected by 3 independents. I'm waiting for thos reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I have to admit.

If I had the means I would.

Looking at that block, it looks like it has wet sleeves.

Those pistons will probably be the same as the 2.0TDI.

So that motor will need 1 piston, 1 sleeve, 4 x rings, mains, bigends, gasket set, water pump, oil pump and then you have a new motor.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

it has a plasma coated bore. That's where the issue comes in.

if the bore is intact it will be much cheaper than a new engine or a complete rebuild.

at this point I can't do anything until I have had word from the compliance officer, the ombudsman, the warranty, VW etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    but it's still the turn of the wheel.
    Oh isn't it just?

Overkill - isn't!

uys@stofpad4x4.co.za
    www.stofpad4x4.co.za

Why you need Stofpad4x4 Rock sliders

Office: 012 654 7723 (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I have to admit.

+1
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Jaguar XF

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Let me get this straight. You bought a 2005 Treg with a couple of hundred thousand km's on the clock. Did you buy the vehicle directly from a dealer, or was it a private sale? If you bought it as a private sale, is the seller a mechanic?

You drove it happily for two months, all the while singing its praises on the Forum. It then develops a problem that you're not sure if the seller knew about, and you want him or the agent to repair at their expense? What you are neglecting to read into the Act is "reasonable durability". You didn't notice a problem with the vehicle for two months (and you seem to be pretty sharp with things mechanical), so how would you expect a dealer or seller to have known? You can only get away with this if you can prove that they knew about the defect.

Lastly, did you use 2so on the Treg?

I personally don't think you have a leg to stand on, but fortunately for you my opinion doesn't count.
    I think this comment is a little harsh. Not all of us are in a position to foot the type of bill this can result in and it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the vehicle had a vibration early on (as confirmed by Marius after your post).

The CPA is there for every consumer's protection and I would assume it would be in any decent 2nd hand dealer's best interest to have some form of insurance against this type of come back. As Marius said - the problem being only one cylinder means it's not "normal" wear and tear.

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT just for the sake of being accepted by others - DEAL WITH IT !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    the problem being only one cylinder means it's not "normal" wear and tear.

Do we then accept that it was something the previous owner did wrong, and therefore he must pay for it?

Overkill - isn't!

uys@stofpad4x4.co.za
    www.stofpad4x4.co.za

Why you need Stofpad4x4 Rock sliders

Office: 012 654 7723 (sales)

Thread is getting a little nasty now, which is compleatly unnecessary.

Marius, there is a community of Treg owners here willing to help you with opinion and advice, for my part, PM me if you need anything that I can reasonably help with, i.e. helping you get an engine from a German e-bay seller etc...
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Do we then accept that it was something the previous owner did wrong, and therefore he must pay for it?
    taking the head off will reveal a lot but the question is who pays for taking the head off and subsequent costs.

As a matter of interest... Did you use 2SO?
    Jaguar XF

Oh, and why did you take it to the dealers and not an indie?
    Jaguar XF

Uys, the way I understand this is that the vibration (start of the issue ? ) was pointed out to the dealer at the time, who claimed it had a clean bill of health from 3 independent workshops. I also understand that the dealer bought the vehicle form a VW dealer, for resale, and they would have checked it out after trading it in, before selling it on to him.

Franchised dealers often sell "dodgy" trade-ins to the 2nd hand dealers, when it does not pass the stringent "quality assurance" tests for 2nd hand vehicles on their floor (can't remember what VW call their one). I would think he (the dealer selling to Marius) would have a similar claim against the VW dealer if this is the case and they did not disclose the problems to him. The process would have to start with Marius' claim though.

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT just for the sake of being accepted by others - DEAL WITH IT !!!!!!

Uys, the way I understand this is that the vibration (start of the issue ? ) was pointed out to the dealer at the time, who claimed it had a clean bill of health from 3 independent workshops. I also understand that the dealer bought the vehicle form a VW dealer, for resale, and they would have checked it out after trading it in, before selling it on to him.

Franchised dealers often sell "dodgy" trade-ins to the 2nd hand dealers, when it does not pass the stringent "quality assurance" tests for 2nd hand vehicles on their floor (can't remember what VW call their one). I would think he (the dealer selling to Marius) would have a similar claim against the VW dealer if this is the case and they did not disclose the problems to him. The process would have to start with Marius' claim though.
    Is it ethical to expect them to pay if they didnt know about the problem?
    Jaguar XF

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    A new engine plus labour will be way more than what I actually paid for the car.
    I don't think in this case you will get a brand new engine (assuming that you win your fight, of course).

My understanding is that you will be entitled to an engine of similar mileage, but obviously one in good condition.

Not all of us are in a position to foot the type of bill this can result in and it was mentioned earlier in the thread that the vehicle had a vibration early on (as confirmed by Marius after your post).

The CPA is there for every consumer's protection
    Fair enough, but as stated it is still up to Marius to prove that they knew that the engine was dodgy, which I stated.

The CPA is also there to protect the honest businessman as well. If some underhanded skullduggery has occurred, then I agree that they must foot the bill.

Page 4 of 154 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 29 54 104 ... LastLast