Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 41

Page 41 of 153 FirstFirst ... 16 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 66 91 141 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Can you provide details of this? All 5 injectors are from the same donor engine and haven't been touched. Why is only one misbehaving?

Can you point to a reference stating that PD injectors need to be coded?
    I wasn't specifically talking about PD injectors. Googling around a bit it seems PD injectors don't need to be coded, rather they "learn" as you drive, which means the vehicle will be rough for a while, but gets better within a shortish distance.

Coded injectors can misbehave in the sense that they lose their "coding"; a simple re-code sorts this out. This can happen when the vehicle stands for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    I wasn't specifically talking about PD injectors. Googling around a bit it seems PD injectors don't need to be coded, rather they "learn" as you drive, which means the vehicle will be rough for a while, but gets better within a shortish distance.

Coded injectors can misbehave in the sense that they lose their "coding"; a simple re-code sorts this out. This can happen when the vehicle stands for a while.
    Yes, some injectors need coding like the mitsu 3.2 electronic injection pump. The injection pump is electronically controlled but the injectors are purely mechanical so the pump map needs to be coded based on the injector performance.

The PD injectors have intelligent monitoring and the ECU adjusts on the fly based on the sensor feedback from the engine variables.

MARIUS, maybe the heat at the back of the engine causes a breakdown of the pulse through the wires.
    with out a doubt, i can tell you that wires can become brittle and give incorrect readings to the injector/s.
    so change out No5. still happening? then change out ecu. still happening? then i will take a bet the cables near the hottest part or the connectors in that area have become heat loaded.
    when you clean the connectors, you must spray with a very good electrical cleaner that gets cold and then evaporates.any residue can cause the signal to not travel along its path at the required time and so fire incorrectly at the injector. with such a low voltage pulse even the slightest bit of dirt or residue can stop or slow a signal.

I have cleaned the terminals and closed up the connectors a bit so I'm confident the wires are not the issue. On top of that the wires were still very supple.

I also reseated all the plugs to the injectors 5-6 times as well as the round plug at the back of the head to make sure any surface rust or build up is scraped off.

The injector fires properly when the codes are cleared but there seems to be a resistance issue in the electric solenoid part of the injector. I suspect the crystal is maybe too old or fatigued.

I have found a workshop that will swap the injector for me on Monday. Approximately R500 quoted so not too bad to eliminate that.

Hold thumbs.

Why would you not swap the injector yourself?
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Why would you not swap the injector yourself?
    I don't have the right tools

Assembly overview - unit injector

 Observe rules for cleanliness → Chapter.

 Always renew seals and O-rings

1 - 20 Nm + 90 further
     Renew.
    2 - Lock nut
    3 - Adjuster screw
     Renew each time it is separated from ball pin
    4 - Rocker arm shaft
     With rocker arms
     Removing and installing → Chapter, removing and installing unit injector

 Check ball pin for signs of wear, replace if necessary
     Removing and installing → Chapter

5 - Tensioning block
    6 - 12 Nm + 270 further
     Renew.
    7 - Unit injector
     Removing and installing → Chapter

8 - O-ring
     Renew. → Chapter.

9 - Heat shield seal
     Renew.
    10 - Circlip

Removing

Remove cylinder head cover.
    Turn crankshaft until the cam pair point evenly upwards for the unit injector which is to be removed.

Loosen lock nut of adjuster screws -1- and screw adjuster screws out until the relevant rocker arm lies against the plunger spring of the unit injector.
    Remove rocker arm securing bolts -2- (from outwards to inwards) with socket XZN 10 -3410- and remove rocker arm shaft.
    Remove tensioning block securing bolt -3- with special wrench, long reach -T10054- and remove the block.
    Lever connector off unit injector using a screwdriver. Support opposite side of connector with light finger pressure to prevent canting.

Seat the puller into the slot on the side of the unit injector instead of the tensioning block.
    Pull unit injector out of cylinder head seat by gently tapping upwards.

Installing

Notet If a new unit injector is installed, the appropriate adjustment screw in the rocker arm must also be renewed.
    t Each time work is performed which requires adjustment of the unit injector, the adjustment screw in the rocker arm and also the unit injector ball stud must be renewed.
    t New unit injectors are supplied with O-rings and heat shield seal.
    Heat insulating seal and O-rings must be renewed if old unit injector is reused → Chapter.
    Check that the 3 O-rings and the heat shield seal along with securing clip are seated correctly before installing unit injector.
    NoteThe seals must not be twisted.
    Oil the seals and fit the unit injector into the seat in cylinder head with great care.
    Push the unit injector evenly into the cylinder head onto its limit stop.
    Insert tensioning block in slot on side of unit injector.
    NoteIf the unit injector is not at right angles to the tensioning block the securing bolt may loosen and this can damage the unit injector or the cylinder head.
    Therefore align the unit injector as follows.
    Screw new securing bolt into clamping block, but do not tighten (it must still be possible to turn the unit injector slightly).

Position gauge -T10210- between mounting bracket and unit injector as shown.
    Turn unit injector by hand against gauge.
    If necessary, adjust the unit injector and tighten the securing bolt as follows:
    12 Nm and + 270 (3/4 turn) further.
    (Turning further can be carried out in several stages)
    Fit rocker arm shaft and tighten new securing bolts as follows.
    Tighten inner and then both outer bolts hand-tight. Then using same sequence, tighten to 20 Nm and turn 90 (1/4 turn) further.

Fit dial gauge onto adjustment screw of unit injector as shown.
    Turn crankshaft in direction of engine rotation until roller of rocker arm is located at tip of drive cam.
    Roller side -arrow A- is at highest point. Adjuster screw of unit injector -arrow B- is at lowest pump.
    Remove dial gauge.
    Now turn adjuster screw into rocker arm against spring pressure of unit injector until firm resistance is felt (unit injector positioned at stop).

Turn adjustment screw 180 back off stop.
    Hold adjuster screw in this position and tighten lock nut to 30 Nm.
    Reconnect unit injector connector and install cylinder head cover.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Injector assembly.jpg 
Views:	4023 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	196521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	removal 1.jpg 
Views:	4508 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	196522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	removal 2.jpg 
Views:	3884 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	196523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	install1.jpg 
Views:	4332 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	196524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	install2.jpg 
Views:	9555 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	196525  

Marius, I just read complete thread from beginning to end. (Started before I joined forum)

What a humbling experience. My hat off to you. Well done!!
    You have come out of this a "richer" person and many others will benefit from this in the future.
    The technical detail and research is top notch!

Hope you get problems with injector no 5 sorted.

Oh swambo says gears at back of engine looks like a watch. And I am so glad I drive an old tech diesel.

success.

Swapped out injector with number 2 injector from old engine and no more misfire or engine code.

I still have to buy a micrometer and fine tune the lash adjuster on the injector (turning the engine via starter hole on ring gear to get accurate TDC on the injector rocker stroke) as the measuring block value on inj 5 is still out slightly.

Excellent.

Great result.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

thats good marius. buy a good quality fluke multimeter, check for impedance from ecu to injector along harness and the continuity reading and then check the other injectors . once done you will have a good idea where the problem lies

Quote Originally Posted by Kiboko View Post
    thats good marius. buy a good quality fluke multimeter, check for impedance from ecu to injector along harness and the continuity reading and then check the other injectors . once done you will have a good idea where the problem lies
    problem was the injector. Already swapped and car runs good. Just needs some fine tuning now on the injector rocker adjuster.

And to maker the repair sweeter the Gonubie workshop by the Kings Mall BP garage didn't charge me a cent.

I did do most of the labour but non the less. It made it a bit easier with their trained hands looking out for me and start to finish was less than an hour.

Awesome... so we can celebrate that your Treg is now officially:

BACK ON THE ROAD!!!
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Awesome... so we can celebrate that your Treg is now officially:

BACK ON THE ROAD!!!
    Almost. I just need to fine adjust the injector 5 rocker adjustment. But she is running at the moment.

schweet
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

That's good news, good news indeed.

Chris.

Fantastic Marius,
    Sorry to hijack,but my cam cover is off, how do you remove the injector connectors without damaging them? I can't see any obvious clips holding it down.I'm a bit wary of using exsesive force
    Cheers
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Blomquist View Post
    Fantastic Marius,
    Sorry to hijack,but my cam cover is off, how do you remove the injector connectors without damaging them? I can't see any obvious clips holding it down.I'm a bit wary of using exsesive force
    Cheers
    Feeler gauge between connector and outside side of injector. Then us needle nose pliers to gently pull connector out along with feeler gauge.

I used a knife in this pic for illustration. A knife is too thick and can break the connection receiver as its brittle. Use a feeler gauge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361797623.643316.jpg 
Views:	1264 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	197120

This is what the connector looks like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361797782.578555.jpg 
Views:	1060 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	197123

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because forumrunner keeps crashing on ios 6

Index updated on page 1

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...90#post1408290

Adjusted the lash yesterday on injector 5. Took her for a drive and man she pulls strong now.

I have mailed Dirk and let him know that 99.99999% chance I will make the GTG at Gariep.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Index updated on page 1

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...90#post1408290

Adjusted the lash yesterday on injector 5. Took her for a drive and man she pulls strong now.

I have mailed Dirk and let him know that 99.99999% chance I will make the GTG at Gariep.

Looking forward to seeing you there

Chris.

Page 41 of 153 FirstFirst ... 16 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 66 91 141 ... LastLast