Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 3

Page 3 of 154 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 53 103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Good luck. We are holding thumbs.
    Thanks. How many thumbs you got? I need all of them!

I'm holding up both for you!
    2011 VW Amarok BiTdi 4-Motion
    2006 Daihatsu Sirion
    6 x Water Buffalo's
    Honda Lawnmower

injector 5 left and number 3 right

Attached Images Attached Images  

Which cylinder is the culprit, have you been able to ID this? Injector 3 obviously looks worse than 5. Are 1, 2 & 4 in a better state?

I notice what looks like a broken seal around the base of injector 3 just above the oily spot, and it looks cracked on 5. Could this be it?
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Cylinder 5 was the culprit. They all looked pretty similar. No 5 just looks better here as its been wiped more to try and find an issue.

To the naked eye the seals look pristine but on the macro picture you may have a point in a leak but so small a leak could surely npt leak enough compression for a misfire or can it?

If the tips look like this then there's enough reason to think the rings may be gummy as well, leaking compression so as long as I can get that misfire close to sorted a good run with some good 2SO may clear up the rings. I know what my pajeros injectors looked like on 2SO.

From this thread

http://www.pajeroclub.co.za/forum/vi...t=2940&p=18722

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2596055798.jpg 
Views:	1953 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	177618

Sent via iPad & Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    precisely why I want to be there when they work on it.

They have worked on transporter engines before.

The conversation this morning was quite funny

dealer : "we'll let you know when we get to the injectors, it's a mission getting to them"
    me : "ummm. no not really. engine cover pulls off, 4 egr bolts, tappet covers bolts and bob's your uncle. shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to have the tappet cover off and access to the injectors."
    dealer : "really? isn't it the same as the T5 transporter engine?"
    me : "yes but crucially the touareg uses a different egr system and the engine is obviously located differently"
    dealer : "oh. ok"

I always expressly told the mechanic and service manager to be ultra careful in removing the connectors and to use a feeler gauge to get them off from the injectors. If they break I'm not paying.

Maruis this makes me worry. The same workshop is servicing my 2ltdi tommorow.

I wouldnt worry about a 2 liter tdi service. It is a common bulletproof engine and they only stock 507.00 oil these days for the diesel engines so you will be fine. I think they have serviced many of them and know the procedure well. Even an appie will struggle to mess up that job. Only danger on them i think is stripping the oil sump plug as the sump is aluminium.

Sent via iPad & Forum Runner

Last edited by LegoBlock; 2012/12/23 at 03:25 PM.

'96 110 TDi Offroad Cow re IAN.
    Massive 29.6 kb graphic removed.....

You are never to old to experience a new pain or sorrow.

Marius, I'd personally discount the injector seal issue. The fuel manifold retains pressure - hence a leaking seal would have caused a hydraulic lock when parked at the very least. Whilst running it would leak combustion gas into the fuel manifold hence causing misfiring on virtually each and every cylinder.

The carbon on the injector tips appears abnormally dense and packed. Perhaps poor combustion related to clogged air cleaner system sometime in the past?
    2011 VW Amarok BiTdi 4-Motion
    2006 Daihatsu Sirion
    6 x Water Buffalo's
    Honda Lawnmower

Very low compression on cylinder no 5now the fight starts :cry:

Eish....

Sorry to hear.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Can a Touareg 2.5 BAC engine cylinders be sleeved?

Can a Touareg 2.5 BAC engine cylinders be sleeved?
    Eish sorry to hear. Not to my knowledge, that's where the whole plasma coating technology comes in. You would be re-engineering/developing the engine entirely then. Could the piston alone be defective, i.e. hole burnt through it? That would still be your saving grace in this situation.

It's very likely the dealer had no idea this was going to happen, even the previous owner might be oblivious of this. My approach would first be one of seeking compensation to help make good the damage based on the unfortuante circumstance, rather than walking in throwing my toys.

Getting an engine from Europe, I think could be a real option. Had a look on German e-bay last night, and there are plenty. Either way you look at it, this is a minimum 40k to 50k problem though.

Other, possibly far-fetched, option would be for all R5 owners on this forum to club together and buy an accident damaged R5 as a group. From which you immediately take the engine, and contribute the largest part. The balance is decided by the value of the remaining parts, which can then be used by the contributing owners as required for their own vehicles, while in their ownership on a first come first-serve basis, capped to a percentage relative to the contribution and the estimated value of the part in the pool. Could become a nightmare, and where to store etc.?

Example: Crashed R5 with slight frontal damage bought for R 70k

30 k - Marius for the intact engine, excluding turbo etc.

Assuming 6 other participants, R 6 600.00 each

The remaing high demand spares on the vehicle (turbo, lenses, air-con components, cooling & suspension components) easily add-up to R 100 k if bought used.

The low demand spares, i.e. body panels, etc. can be sold via Gumtree over time to recover the inital 70k... creates alot of admin and pt.

Just an idea, and it's not perfect.

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Ouch - sorry to hear Marius. I know EXACTLY how you feel now.

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT just for the sake of being accepted by others - DEAL WITH IT !!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the damage. I recommend that you approach the dealer/seller that you purchased the car from, asap with the diagnosis to see what recourse you have.
    - Nothing comes at a higher price than that which is free.

Last edited by LegoBlock; 2012/12/23 at 03:24 PM.

'96 110 TDi Offroad Cow re IAN.
    Massive 29.6 kb graphic removed.....

You are never to old to experience a new pain or sorrow.

I have just realised that my warranty covers R12k for engine internals so I'm getting VW to give me a quote on pulling the head and replacing the piston - I can only hope the bore is still ok.

I can then source own parts to bring the price down to within R12k, so this story is not finished yet.

Would have loved to make another build thread and document it as there is no online rebuild I could find but I really would like it to be sorted between the warranty and the previous dealer instead.

CPA states

3. Right to return the vehicle:

The buyer may return the vehicle to the seller within a 6 month period under certain conditions. This is subject to Section 56 (2) of the Act. - Wear and tear is excluded. There has to be a proven defect in the car or the buyer must prove that the vehicle was sold to him which was not fit for the purpose for which he bought it. The onus will be on the buyer to provide evidence of such defect. The buyer has the option of requesting a repair, replacement or refund.

I have mailed the seller asking him that he negotiates between VW South Coast from whence he bought the vehicle and with SA Warranties and that they be liable for the repair difference. Failing that I will have to take it to legal steps as a single low compression cylinder does not fall under normal wear and tear.

So let's see.

So sorry to here about this . My heart go out to you . I would cry if it happend to me. I got 10 of those pistons. I think that your piston 5 was a Monday piston.

Good luck and keep us up to date

Kevman out

CPA states

3. Right to return the vehicle:

The buyer may return the vehicle to the seller within a 6 month period under certain conditions. This is subject to Section 56 (2) of the Act. - Wear and tear is excluded. There has to be a proven defect in the car or the buyer must prove that the vehicle was sold to him which was not fit for the purpose for which he bought it. The onus will be on the buyer to provide evidence of such defect. The buyer has the option of requesting a repair, replacement or refund.

I have mailed the seller asking him that he negotiates between VW South Coast from whence he bought the vehicle and with SA Warranties and that they be liable for the repair difference. Failing that I will have to take it to legal steps as a single low compression cylinder does not fall under normal wear and tear.

So let's see.
    Sounds solid, who knows, you might end up with a new engine at the end of this drama.

Page 3 of 154 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 53 103 ... LastLast