Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 2




Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 27 52 102 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 3058
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,237
    Thanked: 96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    my search the last week has revealed in order of likelihood

    injector seals
    dud injector
    worn cam lobes and/or lifters
    gummy rings
    failed piston


    I have just sent an email to the dealer who sold me the car, plus the VW garage that took the VW in and made it available as a sale (dealer acted as middleman in a sense), the ombudsman & the warranty company. I copied all in on the same mail so let's see what response I get.
    Marius


    Miskien moet jy D4D injectors probeer, ek hoor hulle is baie betroubaar!






    Ek hoop nie dis groot moeilikheid nie!


    Overkill - isn't!

    uys@stofpad4x4.co.za
    www.stofpad4x4.co.za

    Why you need Stofpad4x4 Rock sliders

    Office: 012 654 7723 (sales)

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,663
    Thanked: 884

    Default

    I hope it's not a case like this one

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,663
    Thanked: 884

    Default

    i'm hoping all it needs is to have new seals and to clean these minuscule fuel intake holes

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,800
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    With warranty's, the dealer is usually responsible for rectifying any issues in the first month, then the warranty kicks in. But get them involved, a little is better than nothing.
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,663
    Thanked: 884

    Default

    Ok. I went there in the afternoon and they said it will go in later. Just got off the after hours number earlier and the workshop was already locked up.

    Ill inspect tomorrow morning. If they opened her without letting me know as promised im going to be upset.

    I really dont want them to close her without me having a look.

    Sent via iPad & Forum Runner

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,417
    Thanked: 111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Ok. I went there in the afternoon and they said it will go in later. Just got off the after hours number earlier and the workshop was already locked up.

    Ill inspect tomorrow morning. If they opened her without letting me know as promised im going to be upset.

    I really dont want them to close her without me having a look.

    Sent via iPad & Forum Runner
    Hope you sleep tonight, s%$t like this keeps me awake with worry. Hail on the Treg has kept me up many hours and nearly divorced SWAMBO.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,663
    Thanked: 884

    Default

    Urgh. I hate dealers. Its my first experience with one and all the stories i have read about them is now confirmed.

    Empty promises.

    I hate to think what non technical people go through...... Eish.

    Maybe im being overly fussy bit hell, this is my car after all and im footing the bill so i want keep a close eye on them. If they exceed my expectations i will definitely report back but so far their communication has been found lacking to say the least.

    Hell, tuffstuff phoned me 4 times with the flatbed transport procedure to check up on everything. Vw hasnt phoned me once to give me a time or let me know when it enters the workshop as they promised.

    Sent via iPad & Forum Runner

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    35
    Posts
    723
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    I'm also very sorry to hear about your misfortune, it is not nice when something like this happens...

    I really hope that you can get this issue sorted with least effort and cost.

    I admire your patience in this regard...
    Many guys becomes all aggravated and starts bad mouthing the brand because of their own misfortune...

    I really hope the dealer will come to the table with great service.

    I cannot believe it is the first R5 TDi engine that they work on.
    Provide them with the attached SSP: 2.5L R5 TDI Engine if they don't seem to technically understand you or their own product.


    Good luck mate...
    .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 VW Touareg R5 TDi (Daddy's cool ride)
    Electric Jeep Super (Little-SWAMBO's ride)


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,663
    Thanked: 884

    Default

    precisely why I want to be there when they work on it.

    They have worked on transporter engines before.

    The conversation this morning was quite funny

    dealer : "we'll let you know when we get to the injectors, it's a mission getting to them"
    me : "ummm. no not really. engine cover pulls off, 4 egr bolts, tappet covers bolts and bob's your uncle. shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to have the tappet cover off and access to the injectors."
    dealer : "really? isn't it the same as the T5 transporter engine?"
    me : "yes but crucially the touareg uses a different egr system and the engine is obviously located differently"
    dealer : "oh. ok"

    I always expressly told the mechanic and service manager to be ultra careful in removing the connectors and to use a feeler gauge to get them off from the injectors. If they break I'm not paying.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    35
    Posts
    723
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post

    The conversation this morning was quite funny

    dealer : "we'll let you know when we get to the injectors, it's a mission getting to them"
    me : "ummm. no not really. engine cover pulls off, 4 egr bolts, tappet covers bolts and bob's your uncle. shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to have the tappet cover off and access to the injectors."
    dealer : "really? isn't it the same as the T5 transporter engine?"
    me : "yes but crucially the touareg uses a different egr system and the engine is obviously located differently"
    dealer : "oh. ok"
    The big reason why only me or Tim Legge do work on my TReg...

    .
    2005 VW Touareg R5 TDi (Daddy's cool ride)
    Electric Jeep Super (Little-SWAMBO's ride)


  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,417
    Thanked: 111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    precisely why I want to be there when they work on it.

    They have worked on transporter engines before.

    The conversation this morning was quite funny

    dealer : "we'll let you know when we get to the injectors, it's a mission getting to them"
    me : "ummm. no not really. engine cover pulls off, 4 egr bolts, tappet covers bolts and bob's your uncle. shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to have the tappet cover off and access to the injectors."
    dealer : "really? isn't it the same as the T5 transporter engine?"
    me : "yes but crucially the touareg uses a different egr system and the engine is obviously located differently"
    dealer : "oh. ok"

    I always expressly told the mechanic and service manager to be ultra careful in removing the connectors and to use a feeler gauge to get them off from the injectors. If they break I'm not paying.
    My experience is, as soon as they realise you know something, they become defensive with you, - normal human reaction I guess. They should just try hide it a bit better.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.


  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,621
    Thanked: 105

    Default

    Being technically inclined is great and can save lots of money. The problem is, it makes life very hard for yourself once you have to allow other people work on your vehicles and trust them at the same time.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5


  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    56
    Posts
    14,486
    Thanked: 693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawid View Post
    ........ The problem is, it makes life very hard for yourself once you have to allow other people work on your vehicles and trust them at the same time.
    Totally agree. It's like when the wife goes to the gyne....
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,621
    Thanked: 105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Totally agree. It's like when the wife goes to the gyne....
    2004 Defender 110 Td5


  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    35
    Posts
    306
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    ......

    I always expressly told the mechanic and service manager to be ultra careful in removing the connectors and to use a feeler gauge to get them off from the injectors. If they break I'm not paying.
    I hope they have a Feeler Gauge.......


  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    56
    Posts
    14,486
    Thanked: 693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOSSIE.JHB View Post
    I hope they have a Feeler Gauge.......

    Let's hope they know what a feeler gauge looks like.........
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,663
    Thanked: 884

    Default

    they phoned me and said the car is now going into the workshop.

    by the time I got there (about 20min) all 5 injectors were out unscathed.

    Theo (who is the mechanic assigned to the job) was very helpful, informative and, more importantly not at all annoyed that the customer was peering over his shoulder and asking loads of questions (I admit, I would have been, so thumbs up to Theo)

    The tips are pretty carboned up - they are at an independent diesel specialist (VC diesel in Moore street) having the tips ultrasonic cleaned overnight at no charge. Another thumbs up to VC Diesel.

    The heat shield copper washers are looking good and the tiny intake holes are sparkling clean so my hopeful theory of a failed washer is out the window.

    Next steps

    Compression test tomorrow - I'm supplying the tester as I have a rubber grommet tester as opposed to their glowplug removal steps tester. Let's hope the compression test checks out fine. If cylinder 5 fails the compression test it can either be gummed up rings due to a failed injector or a failed plasma cylinder lining. Theo reckons the chances of a failed cylinder or piston are next to zero as he believes these engines are bloody tough.

    Re-assemble while moving injector 5 to cylinder 1 to see if misfire follows the injector. If it does then it's just a new (albeit pricey) new injector but still better than a new engine.

    Theo reckons it might also be a faulty injector loom, he will slightly bend the contacts before reassembly, if that fails a new loom is about R1000 bucks and I can DIY that one in 30 minutes - it's very easily replaceable.

    So my hopeful theory is that the loom just had a dodgy connection causing a misfire and gumming up the rings. Hopefully compression checks out OK tomorrow - even if cylinder is slightly low due to possible gummy rings.

    Or second best is that the misfire follows the injector.

    What is helpful as well is that in the process of pulling the injectors a bit of diesel has dropped into the cylinders and that will be soaking overnight and may help loosen the potential gummy rings.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    58
    Posts
    11,582
    Thanked: 595

    Default

    Good luck - I hope it's something small. If not the CPA should protect you.

    4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

    RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

    I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT just for the sake of being accepted by others - DEAL WITH IT !!!!!!

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    56
    Posts
    14,486
    Thanked: 693

    Default

    Good luck. We are holding thumbs.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    33
    Posts
    14,663
    Thanked: 884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    Good luck - I hope it's something small. If not the CPA should protect you.
    Thanks. Me too. I like the car and would hate to go through the whole fighting business.

Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 27 52 102 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Touareg 3, RNS 850 Firmware Update
    By DJMAXIZA in forum Volkswagen
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 2017/08/07, 07:03 AM
  2. Tyre life and tread percentage
    By rechardt in forum Tyre chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2014/11/13, 12:34 PM
  3. Life - II
    By JDeV in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 2014/09/10, 11:33 AM
  4. Touareg Spare and a Prado lurking in the dark
    By amaTokka in forum Volkswagen
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2014/04/24, 08:59 PM
  5. VW Touareg
    By 4ePajero in forum Volkswagen
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2008/05/01, 12:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •