Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 29

Page 29 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 54 79 129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zxdan View Post
    All the services were done by VW, even the BIG 150 000km, that cost R16000.00.
    I expected VW to use the right oil.
    They are of the opinion that the engine overheated and after reading all the posts on this and other forums I suspect the wrong oil.

You got a bargain with the engine here in my back yard

The Remtec unit come from sump to tappet cover, injectors included, with a 100000km/12months guarantee @ R65 000.00 vat included.
    Does it include the tandem pump?

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    I don't understand the question then with regards to whether I ordered the pump VOR....

I ordered the pump as I'm not sure if mine added to my original failure and the one on the current engine looks dodgy and is weeping oil.

I'm not taking chances as a tandem pump can cause starting/running issues and dilute engine oil with fuel.

On top of that the engine needs to come out for the replacement of the pump so I'm doing it now and be done with it.
    Preventative maintenance. The only way.

VOR from dealers

4S TT
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

Index added to first page. This thread has more posts and 60% of the views of my pajero rebuild thread already, and I haven't even started assembling

Index added to first page. This thread has more posts and 60% of the views of my pajero rebuild thread already, and I haven't even started assembling

It's all the VW mechies out there getting some tips!!. They are running our of excuses to keel their clients at bay!.
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

No the tandem pump is not included.
    Can you give more detail as to where the pump fits in and how to make sure the old one is re usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    2SO perhaps ... lets not have or start that debate again though!!!

My view, this is still caused by incorrect oil usage, i.e. 507 by VW or worse topping up with some mineral oil at the garage. Thats the feedback off the German sites, and I pretty much trust their analytical expertise.

I was not referring to SO2 directly to avoid another huge debate/dispute.
    I was not intending to start fight here.
    I agree, this matter has been discussed allot on this forum and at the end many believe in it and others don't.

@Marius: Please; you do not need to explain yourself because we all saw the photo's.
    Everyone can easily see that cylinder was physically damaged by some debris which found its way into the the #5 cylinder.
    This is something what could happen with any engine...

We all are very glad and happy for you and that you finally managed to get a replacement engine...

I thought it was interesting to mention this phenomenon and how it was a big obstacle to overcome with introduction of plasma coated cylinders.

Salfur was apparently a big problem to overcome by using plasma coatings in aluminum diesel engines.
    VW and Audi was apparently one of the first to overcome this obstacle with diesel engines and this technology is proven to be very reliable today.
    Plasma coating failure inside TDi engines is actually NOT very common thing.

The sulfur and other contaminants mixed with the diesel does not only directly affect the plasma coating, but also largely contaminates the oil which in turn has a larger impact on the whole engine's mechanics including the lubrication of the plasma coated cylinders.

My take on owning a diesel in SA:
    • Use 50ppm diesel only.
    • Change diesel filter with every service.
    • Do oil changes with correct spec oil as regularly as possible and do not extend the interval.
    • Do not use any additives in oil or diesel.
    • Always keep engine cooling system clean(regular flush) and charged.
    • Keep engine air intake clean.
    • Let the engine idle for a while after hard driving so that oil can circulate and cool down.

It is quite clear that the R5 and V10 TDi's are very sensitive to what you put in it.
    It is mainly because that technologies like PD fuel injection, plasma coated cylinders and special bearings which all are prone to contaminants in the fuel an oil.

Prolonged service intervals will definitely have a negative effect on a diesel engine's longevity.
    Usage of wrong specification oil will also affect the engine negatively.

The service intervals for TDI Touaregs in SA were 10k KMS at first (2004-2005) and then became 15k KMS later on.

Cheers,

Last edited by Romzotwa; 2013/01/18 at 09:23 AM.
    2005 VW Touareg R5 TDi (Daddy's cool ride)
    Electric Jeep Super (Little-SWAMBO's ride)

Quote Originally Posted by zxdan View Post
    No the tandem pump is not included.
    Can you give more detail as to where the pump fits in and how to make sure the old one is re usable.
    It is fitted on the back of the cylinder head and gets turned by the camshaft.

There is no sure way of telling whether yours is working correctly or not. If it fails it can leak diesel into the oil.

Have a look at this thread

http://65.110.12.166/showthread.php?t=347305

Thanks Marius, replacing the hole car is starting to sound like a good option HaHa.
    So the tandem pump is the brake vacuum pump?
    I'm contacting Remtec to see if this is included in the head and get there opinion on replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Romzotwa View Post
    I was not referring to SO2 directly to avoid another huge debate/dispute.
    I was not intending to start fight here.
    I agree, this matter has been discussed allot on this forum and at the end many believe in it and others don't.

I thought it was interesting to mention this phenomenon and how it was a big obstacle to overcome with introduction of plasma coated cylinders.

Salfur was apparently a big problem to overcome by using plasma coatings in aluminum diesel engines.
    VW and Audi was apparently one of the first to overcome this obstacle with diesel engines and this technology is proven to be very reliable today.
    Plasma coating failure inside TDi engines is actually NOT very common thing.

The sulfur and other contaminants mixed with the diesel does not only directly affect the plasma coating, but also largely contaminates the oil which in turn has a larger impact on the whole engine's mechanics including the lubrication of the plasma coated cylinders.

My take on owning a diesel in SA:
    • Use 50ppm diesel only.
    • Change diesel filter with every service.
    • Do oil changes with correct spec oil as regularly as possible and do not extend the interval.
    • Do not use any additives in oil or diesel.
    • Always keep engine cooling system clean(regular flush) and charged.
    • Keep engine air intake clean.
    • Let the engine idle for a while after hard driving so that oil can circulate and cool down.

It is quite clear that the R5 and V10 TDi's are very sensitive to what you put in it.
    It is mainly because that technologies like PD fuel injection, plasma coated cylinders and special bearings which all are prone to contaminants in the fuel an oil.

Prolonged service intervals will definitely have a negative effect on a diesel engine's longevity.
    Usage of wrong specification oil will also affect the engine negatively.

The service intervals for TDI Touaregs in SA were 10k KMS at first (2004-2005) and then became 15k KMS later on.

Cheers,

Mine was 5000km until the 500ppm became available. Every 5000 an oil change. Every alternate 5000 hence 10000 a full service with oild and filters and whatever else.

The 5000 oil only change they would do while you wait in reception with a coffee and newspaper if you wished.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Engine prepped and parts swapped over. It now stands like the old one came out. Just need a good clean and a tandem pump. I have sprayed it some prepsol but will wait for the hose down when everything is connected to avoid getting water in the openings.

I had to transfer the flexplate over as the donor was a manual. 16mm bolts. Loctite. 60NM + 90 degrees.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358596337.972443.jpg 
Views:	2135 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	189883

Some of the new engine's spare parts.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358596488.973629.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	189888

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because forumrunner keeps crashing on ios 6

Engine prepped and parts swapped over. It now stands like the old one came out. Just need a good clean and a tandem pump. I have sprayed it some prepsol but will wait for the hose down when everything is connected to avoid getting water in the openings.

I had to transfer the flexplate over as the donor was a manual. 16mm bolts. Loctite. 60NM + 90 degrees.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358596337.972443.jpg 
Views:	2135 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	189883

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because forumrunner keeps crashing on ios 6
    As jy nie so ver was nie sou ek kom help het en spanners aan gegee het!
    Touareg V10

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderGear View Post
    As jy nie so ver was nie sou ek kom help het en spanners aan gegee het!
    Dankie maar ek's bietjie moerig as ek partykeer werk. Ek raak die hel in vir myself so dalk eerder beter as ek alleen werk. Niemand om te blameer nie behalwe myself. hehe

'n Koeldrank aandraer sal baie help. lol

En 'n drifta sou ook werk sodat ek die krieket kon volg.

Dankie maar ek's bietjie moerig as ek partykeer werk. Ek raak die hel in vir myself so dalk eerder beter as ek alleen werk. Niemand om te blameer nie behalwe myself. hehe

'n Koeldrank aandraer sal baie help. lol

En 'n drifta sou ook werk sodat ek die krieket kon volg.
    21/3 right now
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

If only you could sell those at dealer prices, the injectors alone will give you a good return on your investment!
    What a life!

Quick question : The engine has some thermal blankets on the block and oil pan.

Is it really necessary in our hot climate?

I understand that it will help the engine warm a bit faster and keep it warmer for longer after shutdown. It may also help reduce a thermal shock on the sump if driving through a puddle but then again the hot oil in the sump will reduce the shock effect (think coke bottle full of water on fire that doesn't melt)

Any thoughts? Shall I just take it off in our hot climate to aid oil cooling and prevent debris from accumulating due to my 4km gravel road to the house?

I would maybe leave it on. I think it has more positives than negatives. I enjoy this thread. Very helpful. Also, a question from my side. I always use 50ppm SASOL diesel, do I still need to change diesel filter? I don't think the dealers changed mine at my 15 000km service.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I would maybe leave it on. I think it has more positives than negatives. I enjoy this thread. Very helpful. Also, a question from my side. I always use 50ppm SASOL diesel, do I still need to change diesel filter? I don't think the dealers changed mine at my 15 000km service.
    dirty diesel is a product of the storage and transport of our diesel. 50ppm usually is just as dirty as 500ppm diesel. Try to use new garages which will have cleaner tanks and don't fill up when the big truck is there as it stirs up the crud lying at the bottom.

The treg diesel filter is pretty large on the R5 - much cheaper at goldwagen than the dealer - and I would feel comfortable changing it every 30k kms.

With regards to 500ppm vs 50ppm, you need to shorten your oil changes on higher sulphur diesel as the sulphur acidifies the engine oil.

as longs as it is not some form of heat shield to protect other parts from the heat, then you can leave it. Protections plates should dampen the water / mud thermal shock actually.

So begin dit...

Unhappy

Hi ekt ook 'n R5 TDI 2005 216000Km, het engin skade ook op nr 5, piston het diep skrape op kant gehad, sleeve was ook gewerk.
    Probleem al laas jaar Feb 2012 begin. Kar staan al van Feb af, eers olie in water, vervang oliekoeler by dealers. Nog dieselfde, ontdek toe wit aanpaksel in olie dop. Probeer google vir engin maar kry niks,
    Remtec het net die transporter motor wat BKL of iets is dit is die een met die belde die R5 het die BAC engin "net gears".

Watter een het jy gekry?

kar nou by bosch om bedrading uit te sorteer, engineering plek het die solenoid draad op die sump gesit..Earth Bosch vermoed nou dat die comfort start dalk seer gekry het (comfort start is net om die sleutel te draai en te los en die rek doen die res "engin starting")
    Tegnikus se hy kan dit bypass, gaan dan net sleutel moet aan hou tot die engin loop. Wil graag dit normaal hou. Hy se comfort start kan tussen R7000-15000 beloop by agente.

Dus google ek vir 'n Treg wat gestrip word vir parte.

Top is getoets Geen skade, geservice
    Top is getoets Geen skade, eers toe hulle blok warm maak om te resleeve kom kraak aan bokant van nr 5 sylinder te voorskyn, amper 5cm lang kraak. Engineering ou se die nuwe sleeve sal hom afseel

3 injectors ok moeg het ver onder die vereiste vloei gegee dit ook vervang

Engin is resleave met VW parte, nuwe clutch kit etc..
    Kostes sover R67000 parte
    Engineering R16000
    Bosch R

Ook gewonder oor hoekom die nr 5 sylinder en die ander 4 makeer niks. Nou gedink dit is dalk hitte van catalytic convertor af maar daar is dan ook drade in die area wat sal wys as daar hitte skade is.

Oor die olie ek het die Vaico 5W30 (Goldwagen) VW505.01 ingegooi, waar ek sien jy gebruik die 506.01,. is dit ?W40.

Gooi die diens agente nie dalk ?W40 in nie, is dit nie dalk die probleem nie. Het op invoice van Bosch gesien dat hulle 10W40 ingooi wat maar R220 was vir +-9L te goedkoop.

Glo ek gaan my Treg in die week kry, wel die voordeel is van die jaar staan, is dat dat hy nog staan op 216000km HA HA

Waar en watter (ekwivalent) het jy 506.01 gekoop by agente??

Ek verstaan jou frustrasies ek is deur baie van hulle.

Vraag: op die forum bl 3 die 2de laaste foto, waar die starter vas kom, net so bietjie op is daar 'n swart "nut" met rubber pyppie op waantoe Gaan daai pyppie asb, dankie

Enige advies oor die inloop van die nuwe motor?
    Last edited by AntonvBosch; 2013/01/21 at 07:48 AM.

Quick question : The engine has some thermal blankets on the block and oil pan.

Is it really necessary in our hot climate?

I understand that it will help the engine warm a bit faster and keep it warmer for longer after shutdown. It may also help reduce a thermal shock on the sump if driving through a puddle but then again the hot oil in the sump will reduce the shock effect (think coke bottle full of water on fire that doesn't melt)

Any thoughts? Shall I just take it off in our hot climate to aid oil cooling and prevent debris from accumulating due to my 4km gravel road to the house?
    Bump
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Page 29 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 54 79 129 ... LastLast