Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 26

Page 26 of 153 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 51 76 126 ... LastLast

How is that kitty doing?

How much are you short?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    How is that kitty doing?

How much are you short?
    Just about there. I gave an update on the other thread. With my overdraft and credit card I should be good now.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4tjie View Post
    Hi guy's
    Sorry ek het nou eers die post gesien. Het probleme met my rekkenaar en
    adsl gehad.
    Ek het die R5 by VW breakers gesien, die kar lyk nie in n te slegte kondisie nie.
    Marius het jy iemand gekry wat n kompresie toets kon gaan doen. Ek sal dalk kan help met dit.
    Met die skade wat in daai silinder is sal jy dit nie kan regmaak nie. Daar is niemand wat daai silinder weer sal kan behandel nadat dit gesny is, daar is n spesiaale Coting op die silinders.(kan glad nie geboor of gesny word nie).Dit is ook die rede waarom niemand groter pistons het vir daai engine nie.
    Laat my weet as ek van enige hulp kan wees.
    my cell nr is 0828765093.

P.S. ons koop baie parte by VW Breakers, het nog altyd goeie diens by hulle gekry. Terloops ek het laas jaar n Tiguan engine by hulle gekoop en daar was tot nou toe nog geen probleme.
    Can you comment on why the Treg is being broken up? Accident damage? Rear looks intact, and obviously motor is good too.

You would not know if perhaps it has a black interior and rear sunblinds? Would not mind adding those to mine . Does it have air or steel suspension?
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Can you comment on why the Treg is being broken up? Accident damage? Rear looks intact, and obviously motor is good too

@Korgat: This is actually a very good question.
    Form the photo the car looks intact.
    In the add they stated CODE2; there must be some logical reason...

The V8 Touareg from which VW Breakers stripped the tow-bar I purchased was also damage free except for the engine.
    The engine seized up and owner could not afford the repair bill at VW.
    Then VW Breakers bought it up cheap for stripping.

Last edited by Romzotwa; 2013/01/11 at 10:40 AM.
    2005 VW Touareg R5 TDi (Daddy's cool ride)
    Electric Jeep Super (Little-SWAMBO's ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Romzotwa View Post
    The engine seized up and owner could not afford the repair bill at VW.
    Sounds familiar . Don't think anyone can afford that bill from VW.

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Sounds familiar . Don't think anyone can afford that bill from VW.
    I seriously wish that some of these mother(&*&^% car companies would let me loose on their aftersales/customer service departments after I've had a look at their budgets.

How difficult is it to keep a client happy?

I mean really...
    2008 9A Discovery 3 TDV6 SE "Binky"
    2015 Amarok Auto Highline

Die Reg het ongeluk skade links voor. Eintlik nie te ernstig nie.
    Ek het vanoggend met Shaun gepraat en hulle het die voertuig
    aan gekoop vir die enjin. Marius ek wil vir jou se dat jy daai enjin by
    hulle steel, hulle kon baie meer vir hom gekry het en Shaun is klaar spuit hy
    het jou eerste opsie gegee. Jy gaan nie weer n enjin vir daai prys kry nie. Daai Reg het ook baie lae Km's, ek dink dit is verseker n baie goeie koop.

Hi Kortgat.
    Dit het swart bekleedsel en dit het lug suspensie, ek weet ongelukkig nie of dit die blind's in het nie.
    Ek het die amp gekoop want myne het geblaas.

Default Oil analysis

Hi Guys
    This is a reply from our resident warranty and diagnostic expert. He spent a few years as an engineer in the air force so is trained to diagnose faults and regularly used oil analysis. He also advised that an engine will usually show the most wear signs on first service and then usually after about 200 000 km's.

"The Oil sample test is better known as a SOAP sample (Spectrometric Oil Analyses Program).

As far as my knowledge goes the laboratory will be able to trace some materials in an oil sample, but not to identify a specific component. It is very difficult as there are a lot of different materials in an engine for example, if they find a lot of aluminium in the oil, the wear can be from anything like the pistons, front cover, cylinder head, tensioner or even the block, if it is made of aluminium. If they find brass or copper in the oil it can come from the bearings, but it will be difficult to prove.

If the engine already got high mileage on, the chance that there will be wear on most of the components is very good as they all work together as a unit. The only positive identification the lab can make is to identify dirt in the oil as well as excessive fuel. This proves that your filtration system is dirty or that there is a problem with your injection system or carburettor. They will be able to identify certain materials, but not the component that is responsible for the wear. At least it will give you an idea of what to look for when you know what material shows up in the oil sample.

I hope this information will help."

For matter of interest:
    • Did someone do the compression test now?

• Did VW Breakers start the engine under someone's supervision?

2005 VW Touareg R5 TDi (Daddy's cool ride)
    Electric Jeep Super (Little-SWAMBO's ride)

compression test is being done as we speak by Johan Nortier. He has spotted a leaky tandem pump so I need to source some seals.

Upon initial inspection he says the engine looks good.

The car was started under supervision when they took the oil sample for analysis.

Compression test checked out 100% - Using jumper cables they got to within 2 bar of the new spec.

Using a proper battery that's installed properly the compression would probably have checked out within a few psi of new.

Only downside is that the tandem pump is leaking and it's a part you don't mess around with.

With the high mileage on my engine I thought it prudent to get a new one as a seal kit is not available.

VW wanted R8195-20 (070 145 209 J) but I managed to get one from Germany (genuine LUK exact replacement - NEW) for less than half that! (stretching the budget a bit further which would have been impossible without the generous help of the members here)

This is the tandem pump at the back of the cylinder head that provides 8.5bar pressure to the fuel rail that feeds the Pumpe Duse injectors as well as vacuum for the brakes, servos etc.

Should this pump leak it can dump diesel into the oil which can lead to cylinder wash (in turn lifting the bore) and is the most common reason for R5/V10 engine failures. I doubt this was the case with mine as the other cylinders look perfect, but I'm not risking it.

This is a transporter engine with a lifted bore lining.
    Last edited by MariusFourie; 2013/01/14 at 03:56 PM.

yebo yes! Watching this space
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

Is the broken tandem pump not something which shoudl reduce the price from VW Breakers a little? I guess the seals from your origianl tandem pump are not re-usable, or is that jsut too risky as you stated?

Interesting that PD engines actually have a common pressurised fuel rail, thought this was unique to CRd's engines, i.e. common rail diesel.

It's just leaking and there's no clear evidence of it being at fault. Trying to negotiate money back after I paid him is going to be a tough one.

Also, there were 5 others (according to him) interested in the engine so if I'm fussy he'll just sell it to someone else.

The pump seals are not transferable and I wouldn't risk it anyway.

Yes, it is a common rail system but the common rail is not under as high pressure as conventional common rails.

Modern common rail engines go as high as 1800 bar whereas the rail on the PD engines are only at 8.5bar but the PD unit injector injection pressure is approximately 2200 bar for the main injection cycle.

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_352.pdf

I suspect modern piezo injectors with common rail took preference over PD recently as it is cheaper to make and more precisely controlled due to the constant high pressure rail and not the high pressure burst in PD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because forumrunner keeps crashing on ios 6

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    It's just leaking and there's no clear evidence of it being at fault. Trying to negotiate money back after I paid him is going to be a tough one.

Also, there were 5 others (according to him) interested in the engine so if I'm fussy he'll just sell it to someone else.

The pump seals are not transferable and I wouldn't risk it anyway.

Yes, it is a common rail system but the common rail is not under as high pressure as conventional common rails.

Modern common rail engines go as high as 1800 bar whereas the rail on the PD engines are only at 8.5bar but the PD unit injector injection pressure is approximately 2200 bar for the main injection cycle.

I suspect modern piezo injectors with common rail took preference over PD recently as it is cheaper to make and more precisely controlled due to the constant high pressure rail and not the high pressure burst in PD

Just a question Marius. You saying the PD engines use a high pressure common rail but the injectors are not piezo electronically controlled? There is some kind of electro mechanical action to control their opening? Solenoid type action in the R5 engine? I suspect you are right about the piezo types being easier to control. It will have quicker reaction which means you will be able to have multiple squirts per bang. I thought the R5s were piezoelectric.

By the way I think you are doing some great work here. Fight the good fight!

Better than talking about which spotlights to fit or which colour racing stripe will improve flex.
    Last edited by munga; 2013/01/14 at 11:44 PM.

The pd is best explained here

Timefreight is collecting the engine today

Cool,

some long hours ahead, at least it's plug and play
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4-Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 - Build

SOLD
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 - Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    Cool,

some long hours ahead, at least it's plug and play

good time to pop a clutch in as well...
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

Page 26 of 153 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 51 76 126 ... LastLast