Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 22

Page 22 of 153 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 47 72 122 ... LastLast

he is a registered dealer so will see what happens.

In my eyes it's a clear cut case but let's see what happens.

I do feel sorry for the dealer, I don't think he knew about the fault but I strongly suspect South Coast VW (where the dealer got the car from) and the previous owner knew about it.

He will have to do the same and take the case to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    he is a registered dealer so will see what happens.

In my eyes it's a clear cut case but let's see what happens.

I do feel sorry for the dealer, I don't think he knew about the fault but I strongly suspect South Coast VW (where the dealer got the car from) and the previous owner knew about it.

He will have to do the same and take the case to them as well.
    Marius, IIRC you mentioned in the original thread that the seller had the vehicle with 3 independent workshops prior to you buying the car and they all gave it a clear bill of health. If he did not know/suspect there was something wrong with it, why did he deem it necessary to have it checked out THREE times ? This and the fact that the VW dealer sold the car to the trade makes me agree with your thoughts that they knew about the problem. It could probably not pass the "MASTERCAR" tests at the VW dealer.

I think you have a strong case an hope it works out for you.

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT just for the sake of being accepted by others - DEAL WITH IT !!!!!!

I would not put too much hope in the ombudsman. When I was fighting with VWSA I lodged a case with them, and well over a year later I have still had no follow up. I phoned them and the guy there said that there are only a couple of staff working there, and they would certainly take time to get to the case.

IE if you are waiting on them for a response you may be some time. Perhaps a close review of the CPA might be more profitable, but this takes time and potentially money to pursue, which you probably don't have or you would have just put the new engine in? The last option is a public rant!!! This can be quite edifying, and facebook in particular seems to have good effect with the OEM's as they are grudgingly dragged into the information age.
    As your gripe seems to be with an aftermarket reseller, this strategy may be less effective?

It sounds like the Remanufactured engine will be a good option, just a pia having to get the engine number changed etc, which is why I would favour a rebuild.

Anyway, wish you good luck whichever way it pans out.
    Cheers
    Stephen

Don't want to be negative, but agree the ombudsman is a very drawn out process.

My course of action in your shoes would be:

- Read up on the CPA and perhaps get some real solid advice on it (you might have some form of legal cover as part of an insurance you have etc.)
    - Contact the seller once more by telephone, state your situation and your desire to find an amicabble resolution (based on your research into the CPA) without being threatening, follow-up what you stated in writing and allow a reasonable but fixed period of time for response in writing.
    - If the outcome is negative or no-response, repeat above once more and also establish and make contact with any affiliations the dealership might have in the motor industry.
    - You then have to decide whether to take legal action. One legal letter from a competent source can do wonders and would not cost the earth. Even if you just claim 12k via small claims court (you can do this without any assistance), - this would be better than nothing and be a big PITA for the dealer. As soon as things go legal they become potentialy expensive and undesirable to pursue, especially for the party which is clearly in the wrong.

CPA is here: http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFileAction?id=99961
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

I have no intention of going legal. I have no faith in our legal system or it's representatives (please don't feel offended if you are in that sector but I'm sure you can relate)

I am at the stage where I try to sort this on my own. The ombudsman may take time and it may or may not work. It's not costing me money and not much in effort so worth a shot to claim back eventually what I spent.

I am also not the person that wants to slander online (My BFG rant awhile ago was a brand new product not performing - my treg is old and secondhand). As I mentioned I don't think the dealer knew about it but surely he has some insurance against this type of thing so if the ombudsman votes in my favour his insurance may come to the party.

I am still actively looking for a 2nd hand engine but hopeful for a recon unit from remtech. A rebuild is at the bottom of my list due to expensive parts, tricky machining, costly assembly and inexperienced technicians to rebuild it. (I did enquire about an experienced assembler via PM but he never came back to me)

First prize : Remtech engine (with some lotto numbers)
    2nd : second hand engine out of a totalled treg
    6th : rebuild current engine

PS : paperwork for a new engine is easy. I did it before with the mazda engine I swapped out.

Eish - baie baie sterkte hiermee Marius. Hierdie probleem van jou laat my aan my eie "probleempie" dink waar my Jeep se enjin gekalf het op 92k km's.

Na die enjin die 3de keer gebreek het, het ek 'n 4 liter Lexus V8 in laat sit in my Jeep (ek het nie die werkswinkel geriewe soos jy nie).

My Jeep was ook 'n Turbo-diesel - 2.8 CRD.

Marius, give this guy a call in Uitenhage. He is an ex VW motorsport mechanic and now runs his own business. 083 278 three 415. For advice and maybe some contacts; he did wonders for me once. Johan Jonker
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right!

Quote Originally Posted by jacquesb View Post
    Eish - baie baie sterkte hiermee Marius. Hierdie probleem van jou laat my aan my eie "probleempie" dink waar my Jeep se enjin gekalf het op 92k km's.

Na die enjin die 3de keer gebreek het, het ek 'n 4 liter Lexus V8 in laat sit in my Jeep (ek het nie die werkswinkel geriewe soos jy nie).

My Jeep was ook 'n Turbo-diesel - 2.8 CRD.
    A proper v8 conversion will cost more than a remtech engine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because forumrunner keeps crashing on ios 6

Marius - hier in die Kaap kwoteer hulle mense +-R45-50k vir 'n "proper V8 conversion" insluitende die enjin.

Quote Originally Posted by jacquesb View Post
    Marius - hier in die Kaap kwoteer hulle mense +-R45-50k vir 'n "proper V8 conversion" insluitende die enjin.
    Ek twyfel of dit vir 'n touareg ook sal geld. Sy elektronika is soos 'n rekenaar. Als word van ecu af beheer. Jy kan nie by drade insplice of verander nie want dan gaan ander ecu mal gaan. Almal praat met mekaar. Ie. interior ecu praat met engine ecu om webasto heater te hardloop.

Ek twyfel om te sien hoe hulle daarom werk. Vir R50k sal ek anyway eerder die extra R10k spandeer om iets te kry wat daar pas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because forumrunner keeps crashing on ios 6

LOL - jy moes my Jeep se elektronika sien!

Ek ry nou met TWEE "ECU" computer-bokse rond!

Maar is reg! Sterkte met die RemTech enjin!

+1

http://drewsautospares.co.za/ - try die ou, miskien kan hy jou help om ene iewers te kry, hulle doen net VW en audi spares, nuut en 2de hands. Good luck!

What happened to the engine you found somewhere in Europe?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    What happened to the engine you found somewhere in Europe?
    no response from seller

Probably another scam then.

Damn, there must be a nice one somewhere?

Have you asked the insurance guys if they have had wrecks and who they supplied them to.

PS. Spoke to a guy from MB and he mentioned that they have the same problems. You don't touch that sleeve. You just turf the block.

PPS. How much for a block.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

I don't want to assemble the engine. too much risk to make a mistake with the timing etc.
    Also : Upon closer inspection the cam has started to wear slightly so that adds to the cost of headwork etc.

I am looking for a complete engine. If I can't find one by end January I am calling it quits and robbing a bank for a remtec engine.

If that cam shows slight wear it is scrap.

The timing is really no problem. Even the assembly is no problem. If you fit the bearings and use "plastigauge" to check clearances, it will be 100%.

Trust yourself.

Plasitgauge is a proprietary system for measuring clearances between fitted surfaces of machine parts, such as crankshaft or camshaft bearings. Made from a special extruded plastic thread with accurately controlled crush properties, Plastigage provides a fast and accurate way to check bearing clearances.

Read more: How to use plastigage to measure clearances | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2142943_use-...#ixzz2HIm3ASMS
    Last edited by Henris; 2013/01/08 at 07:24 AM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

If I rebuild I won't take shortcuts and I'll end up replacing almost everything including all pistons, conrods, waterpump etc. The cost of all those parts with gaskets, stretch bolts, timing kit, machining, new cam, head work etc. will be very close to a remtec engine so I may as well go that route and get an engine that's assembled and reconditioned by professionals who know what they are doing.

I do not want to pay school fees on my engine. This is the 3rd engine I'm pulling but I have never assembled an engine so don't want to do it myself and I don't trust a non experienced guy either. The guy with experience who PM'd me has never returned by PMs again.

You can get all the specs. So the pistons you can mic and the ring grooves you can mic.

You need to cut yourself some slack and some leeway. You ain't no twit....

Lots of mechanics around here. Everybody will give you guidance.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Page 22 of 153 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 47 72 122 ... LastLast