Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 19

Page 19 of 151 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 44 69 119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    The nature of those engines makes it risky if the wrong oil was used. I dont want to go down the same road 12 months from now.

I may save thousand here and there but will i sleep at night?

I did an engine once before and i was glad i didnt take shortcuts to save on costs. I was confident in that car. Last thing you want is to hit the long road via the paths less travelled and have a eerie feeling the whole time.

Plus the time and ease of the remtech option makes it attractive. If i can get the engine, then the car can be running in less than a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because forumrunner keeps crashing on ios 6
    Point taken.
    2008 9A Discovery 3 TDV6 SE "Binky"
    2015 Amarok Auto Highline

Does remtec's warranty require the engine to be fitted by a dealer in order to retain the warranty?
    other thing they said to me was a core deposit, if they could use the block I got my core deposit back. If they somehow could use your core, they do offer to have your engine done for you, takes a bit longer but saves you from having to change paperwork as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
    Does remtec's warranty require the engine to be fitted by a dealer in order to retain the warranty?
    other thing they said to me was a core deposit, if they could use the block I got my core deposit back. If they somehow could use your core, they do offer to have your engine done for you, takes a bit longer but saves you from having to change paperwork as well.
    Thanks. Will check with them.

Marius, what better guarantee is there than doing this yourself? I did my 4.1(now 4.23) Chevy motor last year and I'll tell you one thing: I will never worry about it packing up. Simply because I now know exactly the shortcomings of it and and where I could have done better(changing the valve seats to use unleaded, and modifying that dumbass design for an oil seal at the rear end).

A guarantee will only buy you peace in knowing you'll get it fixed again(after breaking down in the middle of where?) by the same people who made the mistake first time around(due to mass production mainly) - Not that I have a clue about diesels or Remtech, but for me it's better knowing that I saw all the clearances, did all the torques, etc. myself and it wasn't rushed because of deadlines and production targets, I also didn't have to divide my attention by training appies or having been checked up on the whole time. IMO this is priceless.

You obviously have the means and knowledge, so if you've got a second vehicle why not?

M2CW

Remtec do a good job, they build engines according to factory spec and use only OEM parts. They supply VW and other manufacturers with engines that remanufactured, not reconditioned. Everything inside the engine is new, only reuse the head and block if within factory standard. They are worth the money, if you have the money.Cheers

Agree with Marius: either reconditioned with guarantee, or import a new one from the factory.
    ORRA Z150

Discovery 2 V8 XS
    Discovery 4 SDV6 SE

Maruis, jammer vir die skade, maar ek is saam met Henri, dit is in jou vermoee om die enjin reg te maak......en jy weet dit!!
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    Albert Einstein

Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI

Quote Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
    Remtec do a good job, they build engines according to factory spec and use only OEM parts. They supply VW and other manufacturers with engines that remanufactured, not reconditioned. Everything inside the engine is new, only reuse the head and block if within factory standard. They are worth the money, if you have the money.Cheers
    Oh ok, I guess this is the same as buying a new car, wouldn't mind getting something like this for the Jeep.

Good luck Marius, hope you get it sorted painlessly!

Quote Originally Posted by Frans Reichert View Post
    Maruis, jammer vir die skade, maar ek is saam met Henri, dit is in jou vermoee om die enjin reg te maak......en jy weet dit!!
    As daar n workshop was wat ek gemaklik gevoel het om die masjienering etc doen, maybe. Maar even vw gebruik die remtech engine. Dis basies 'n nuwe engine. En onthou dat my injectors dalk gerecon moet word en dit alleen kan amper R20k kos.

Is jy seker daardie motor gaan injectors in he?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Wow, but that is narrow. Reminds me of the old Mini's and Renaults 5's.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Eish...sorry Marius, was really holding thumbs on this,
    From the pics it looks like only number 5 is damaged and the other bores still look good(after serious mileage)? why would it be number 5, from research it seems that it is always number 5?
    I am still battling to buy the reasoning that incorrect oil would lead to excessive clearance on the big ends on the cylinder causing piston movement, surely the first thing would be low oil pressure and a knock?

if that is the case then a used engine cannot be trusted, I would go Remtech

Good luck

ombudsman forms filled in.

requesting dealer to cover full or partial cost of remtech engine. Let's see what happens.

Unfortunately Motor ombudsman is closed to 15 jan 2013.

Gun for the whole deal. Them doing everything.

Then settle on them supplying the engine.

Go in high and settle lower.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

As dit ek was sou ek, met daai block na 'n goeie engineering shop toe gegaan het.
    Hulle kan hom dalk regmaak. Indien nie, sou ek 'n blok gesoek het.
    En die hele engine ge overhaul het. Nuwe ringe, bearing, die hele worx.

Good luck with the ombudsman, while you are at it try your luck with the CPA office, you never know, you may have a valid claim, as per Henris, go in full cost, and drop on negotiation if required.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Blomquist View Post
    Eish...sorry Marius, was really holding thumbs on this,
    From the pics it looks like only number 5 is damaged and the other bores still look good(after serious mileage)? why would it be number 5, from research it seems that it is always number 5?
    I am still battling to buy the reasoning that incorrect oil would lead to excessive clearance on the big ends on the cylinder causing piston movement, surely the first thing would be low oil pressure and a knock?

if that is the case then a used engine cannot be trusted, I would go Remtech

Good luck
    Yip, always no. 5. Does that not lend well to the bearing failure theory? I.e. the cylinder closest to the bearing fails, as the problem is most pronounced there. Why the bearing on that end fails, i.e. by cylinder 5 and not by cylinder 1, could be due to the design making it more susceptible on that end, possibly temperature related. 4, 3, 2 & 1 never get a chance to fail, as 5 fails first.

A knock does develop (and was actually reported on this engine), but it's so erratic/small it does not raise real concern. As with mechanical things, once it reaches a certian point, the effect is then very sudden and drastic (ring breaking, bore damaged). Low oil pressure would also set in, but by then it's way beyond any rescue.

I also don't understand how a certain oil fails to lubricate a bearing to the degree that it fails, - sure there are boffins out there who exactly understand this relationship and how important the correct oil is on a modern engine.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

If the bearing failed it would have been a big end bearing? all cylinders have big ends, thats why I battle to get my head around the number 5 cylinder always being the weak link. All big end bearings are fed with the same oil at presumably the same pressure, surely if the theory is to be believed they should all suffer? perhaps it is an oil feed issue to that particular big end i.e. a design flaw or maybe that supply is suseptable to blockage from sludge build up (that I can possibly believe)
    I agree that oil is critical to most modern engines and the R5 is right up there with its dietary requirements. Clearly the damage is there to see, but my curiosity is eating me to find the cause.
    What gets me is the design, these engines are clearly "throw away" units, that wall thickness(or lack of) is scary, probably the same with most modern designs.