Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 18

Page 18 of 153 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 43 68 118 ... LastLast

Marius

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    hehe. I will only go for it if it's in pristine condition. I promised myself the next car I buy must be in good condition so I can enjoy it rather than tinker.

There is enough here on the farm to keep me busy.
    Jy het jou self gejinx.

Ek kry sommer hol kol op my maag names jou.
    Sterkte met daai engine
    Its only funny until someone gets hurt.
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual & Auto
    2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE
    2011 Conqueror Companion

What a bummer. I think the way to go is Remtech. However, there is a place in the UK that may be able to help you for about GBP1600. Even if you double that, it is still less than Remtech.

I will be getting a report on my T5 engine from Tim as soon I can.
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

Ek voel saam met jou in die tyd met jou treg se hart probleem. Ek het so bietjie gegoogle nou nie dat dit nou enige iets vir jou sal beteken nie maar dat die 2.5 en 5.0 L se eng amper die selfde prys is in duitsland. Dit is so 4500 Euros wat nogal steep is en plus so 999.95 Euros ship. Ek sal gaan vir die remtec as ek jy was.

Strekte met jou treg. Dit is nie hoe ek VW ken nie. Hulle produkte is altyd van een van die beste op die mark wat 'n mens kan bekostig. (Dit is net siening). Ek dink aan jou.

Kevman out
    2007 Disco 3 TDV 6 S SWAMBO
    2013 Ford T6 3.2 Super-cab
    2008 Fiat Panda 100HP

Quote Originally Posted by parafanaylya View Post
    What a bummer. I think the way to go is Remtech. However, there is a place in the UK that may be able to help you for about GBP1600. Even if you double that, it is still less than Remtech.

I will be getting a report on my T5 engine from Tim as soon I can.
    I mailed many oversees suppliers. None are willing to ship to RSA, even when paying via paypal.

My gut tells me remtech is the way to go but my wallet os kicking and screaming. Ill let it kick and scream in the bank manager's office tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because forumrunner keeps crashing on ios 6

Awwww NOOOOOOOOO !!!!

Sorry to hear Marius. I was convinced it was something small.

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT just for the sake of being accepted by others - DEAL WITH IT !!!!!!

I mailed many oversees suppliers. None are willing to ship to RSA, even when paying via paypal.

My gut tells me remtech is the way to go but my wallet os kicking and screaming. Ill let it kick and scream in the bank manager's office tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up. My company is registered as an importer, and we have shipped from overseas. If you can find an engine, and have time to wait, I'll help where I can (10 years experience)

How did you lock the timing?
    2006 T5 4Motion 174HP TDI Seikel Dakar STOLEN IN KALK BAY

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
    A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

Eish, that doesn't look good.

But from what I have seen, Marius will nail this one....

Good luck.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Sorry to hear Maruis, my friend is in the same position with a Navara, it overheated, then overhauled engine for 56k, now the head is cracked and they must open it again. I would say go for the Ramtech then you have a warrantee, a small mistake when overhauling it yourself can cost you dearly.
    Nissan Qashqai
    Series 3 Landy
    Land Cruiser 4.2D work

A guy on Carforums imported a gearbox for his Mercedes from Germany a couple of weeks ago. Don't have all the details now, but he was chuffed with nthe shipping cost and the delivery time of under a week. Worth a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by parafanaylya View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. My company is registered as an importer, and we have shipped from overseas. If you can find an engine, and have time to wait, I'll help where I can (10 years experience)

How did you lock the timing?
    I have a friend in the UK that can act as middleman as well. What would the freight cost be to get an engine from the UK to my hometown?

Problem is I'm taking a risk there as well with regards to condition and warranty with a seller overseas.

I spoke to wiekes on the forum and he said to take the head off its not necessary to lock the timing. If i found less damage i would have sent the engine and head to him for repair and assembly.

Now, i wont be happy with a repair on it. I slept on it and a remtech engine still feels like the right way of doing this. Just need to gather funds. R60k is a quite few months salary!

I manage to buy cars above my budget because i can diy, but this time it bit me in the ass.

But im staying positive and through time and perseverance this thread will end well, one way or the other. I believe it is what it is and is part of my walk in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Eish, that doesn't look good.

But from what I have seen, Marius will nail this one....

Good luck.
    Thanks for the confidence....

I have a friend in the UK that can act as middleman as well. What would the freight cost be to get an engine from the UK to my hometown?
    Quote from the other forum

I'm getting a factory-optioned 5-speed gearbox for the 280E, but I digress.

I made the payment for the box just after lunch on Friday (30 November). It's being delivered tomorrow (4 December). It came from Germany .

TNT Express, for those who might want to use a quick courier company in future.

It cost him R9k for the box(second hand) shipping included.

Ai maat, dis nou 'n m(*rse gatslag die; jammer om te hoor daarvan.

Ek dink eerlikwaar jy moet kyk na die opsies van import: jy bly in ELS, daar is hordes freight forwarders wat LCL containers inbring en dit kan jou moeite spaar. Oorweeg dit ook en vra vir advies as jy dit ernstig oorweeg.

Strongs brother!
    2008 9A Discovery 3 TDV6 SE "Binky"
    2015 Amarok Auto Highline

The nature of those engines makes it risky if the wrong oil was used. I dont want to go down the same road 12 months from now.

I may save thousand here and there but will i sleep at night?

I did an engine once before and i was glad i didnt take shortcuts to save on costs. I was confident in that car. Last thing you want is to hit the long road via the paths less travelled and have a eerie feeling the whole time.

Plus the time and ease of the remtech option makes it attractive. If i can get the engine, then the car can be running in less than a week.

Marius, if you tear down that engine and meticulously mic and check everything, you will know what the state of that engine is.

Yes there are some fancy tech in that engine, but "if man made it, man can fix it". It is still just an engine. The basics still apply.

Man = Marius.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Marius, if you tear down that engine and meticulously mic and check everything, you will know what the state of that engine is.

Yes there are some fancy tech in that engine, but "if man made it, man can fix it". It is still just an engine. The basics still apply.

Man = Marius.
    Stripping it further means more gaskets, stretch bolts, parts etc. ( i know myself - may as well do the waterpump, oil pump etc. etc. )

It will cost more to strip and overhaul than to get a recon engine.

Well, have you costed it yet? What spares can you get from Goldwagen? I know VW will cost you an arm and a leg.

On 250,000km, I dropped a valve on my 1.9TDI Golf. Overhauled the engine myself and it was R15,000, all told.

Rebore to 1st oversize (Espach engineering)(There was a slight ridge)
    New injector (Bosch Diesel electric)(Damaged by valve)
    New turbo (AMT)(Damaged by valve)
    New flywheel and clutch (Goldwagen)
    New pistons (Goldwagen)(There was a slight ridge)
    New cyl head (Parts for Africa)(Damaged by valve)
    New bearings (Goldwagen)
    New waterpump (Goldwagen)
    New oil pump (Goldwagen)

I bought NOTHING from VW.

This all was 40,000km ago and she runs like a trooper.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Whats included in the remtec engine? I once wanted to buy one and they quoted me a big price on it, decided to get it anyway, when I was ready to order it, I was told it was just the block... did not take it..Good Luck, you will get it sorted!

Block and head with everything in it.

No manifolds or ancilliaries

Starting to see your point on the Remtech option. A guarantee will be worth alot. Putting in a used engine (not recon), might land you again where you are now, and that would be most devestating.

Conviced these engines break because of incorrect oil usage, i.e. someone cutting corners on cost when servicing or even just topping up oil. When I buy my next TDI, I'm 100% getting the oil analysed.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Daily Commuter & Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 50% of the time.

Page 18 of 153 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 43 68 118 ... LastLast