Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 15

Page 15 of 153 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 40 65 115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Good luck Marius. I'm routing for you big time with this fix.

DITTO!!..

Marius I have read a couple of your rebuild threads!.. You my man... you have some natural talents for this!!!. Good luck!.
    I like anything with 4 or more wheels...

Marius,
    Oil on the intake side (inter cooler) usually comes from oil bypassing turbo seals.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Marius,
    Oil on the intake side (inter cooler) usually comes from oil bypassing turbo seals.
    Correct, but not in my case.

My turbo shaft has has acceptable play and my oil in the intake was sucked in via PCV valve due to excessive blowby.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Correct, but not in my case.

My turbo shaft has has acceptable play and my oil in the intake was sucked in via PCV valve due to excessive blowby.
    Think you guys need to start a glossary thread

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Marius, been watching this thread with interest and admire your decision to get your hands dirty, in return I believe you may be pleasantly suprised in that I feel that your issue will be head related rather than a damaged bore.
    If the damage is block related(piston rings etc) I feel the worst it will be is a damaged ring or ring landing and that a new (REMTECH) motor is unwarranted. The theory that "bad oil" leads to big end bearings loosing tolerance and allowing piston movement in the bore causing damage etc I do not buy, the first symptom would be a knock and loss of oil pressure.

Is there no way of pulling the head with the block in place? that would save you serious work?

Good luck

Hi Marius, thanks for sharing the progress.
    This thread makes the forum allot more interesting nowadays.

Good luck mate...

Remember, i had low compression on one cylinder and a lot of blowby because of it so the CCV pulled a lot of oil into the boost pipes.
    Excuse my ignorance, but I don't seem to understand what you are explaining here.
    CCV is the abbreviation of what?

Would't the blowby oil exit on exhaust manifold side?
    Besides for the EGR, isn't the intake isolated from the the exhaust side?

From my understanding the only oil you will get in intake side is either from VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) bearings or EGR.

For those who might be interested.
    Take note this is not for VW Touareg, but the concept stays the same.

DIY Intercooler Cleaning:
    http://www.tdiclub.com/articles/Intercooler_Cleaning/
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3269395
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...TDI-carbon.htm

Last edited by Romzotwa; 2012/12/10 at 09:12 AM.
    2005 VW Touareg R5 TDi (Daddy's cool ride)
    Electric Jeep Super (Little-SWAMBO's ride)

i think what he meant is blow by to the crank case and then through the breather into the intake. am i right assuming this?
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL
    Echo4 trailer
    Forum Radio No: 1052

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeZA View Post
    i think what he meant is blow by to the crank case and then through the breather into the intake. am i right assuming this?
    Good point, but as far as I could remember the breather is not connected to intake.
    Hmm, maybe I should go and have a look again...

Intake or boost pipe which is essentially the same thing. But i havent seen a r5 moror for a long time so im not sure anymore
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL
    Echo4 trailer
    Forum Radio No: 1052

Romzotwa,
    CCV is Crank case vent. It is there to keep excessive pressure from building up in the crack case. Any vehicle breaths. Some with issues just a lot more. Usually on a diesel the CCV pipe goes to the intake prior to the turbo. I would imagine it is to use the air and burn the tiny bit of oil that comes with breathing(blowby). This is normal, when oil starts pouring out as showed in the photo, you usually have issues...

if it went to the exhaust I imagine the exhaust gas would push back to the engine as the pressure from the exhaust system is greater than the CCV pressure. Also that oil over time might kill a CAT. This will not work.

Good luck with this build, What is very interresting, although a very different animal some small things do remind me of when my 1.9tdi gave issues. You can see its a VW diesel.

johnny10 Guest

+1 subscribed

johnny10 Guest

+1 subscribed

Essentially then the Crank case vent (CCV) and oil breather is the same thing.
    Learning something new everyday.

The oil breather on top of the tappet-cover is connected to air intake box (low pressure side of the turbo).
    Oops! I forgot about that; I was only thinking of boost (high-pressure) side...

Now Marius's logic make more sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Blomquist View Post
    Hi Marius, been watching this thread with interest and admire your decision to get your hands dirty, in return I believe you may be pleasantly suprised in that I feel that your issue will be head related rather than a damaged bore.
    If the damage is block related(piston rings etc) I feel the worst it will be is a damaged ring or ring landing and that a new (REMTECH) motor is unwarranted. The theory that "bad oil" leads to big end bearings loosing tolerance and allowing piston movement in the bore causing damage etc I do not buy, the first symptom would be a knock and loss of oil pressure.

Is there no way of pulling the head with the block in place? that would save you serious work?

Good luck

Unfortunately the head can only be removed after the engine is out. The camshaft sprocket and tensioner bolts are at the back of the head.

As far as the CCV/PCV and oil in intake goes.....

CCV - Crank Case Ventilation
    PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation

All engines have some blowby (exhaust gasses escaping past the rings). These gasses need to be vented otherwise the pressure in the crank case will push oil out the crank and tappet cover seals.

Due to emission laws this PCV gasses are not allowed to be vented to the atmosphere so they are usually vented back to the intake (on the R5 it is vented to the intake post maf sensor and pre turbo) where it is pulled into the combustion chamber and burned off - hence why modern engines require very specific low ash engine oil to avoid clogging the DPF (Diesel particulate filter).

This PCV gasses is usually fine but the problem comes in with EGR gasses mixing with the vapours and causing gunk in the intake manifold, valves and combustion chamber. The solution from many owners is to block the egr system and/or install a catch can (google is yur friend )

If the rings or bore is shot then the blowby becomes excessive and loads of oil is then pulled into the intake that creates smoke, eats up oil and can cause many other serious issues.

took the battery out. Now she is really dead

Is that acid corrosion on the rear right of the battery box, or just the flash?
    2006 Touareg R5 - SPORTSVANS body lift, Alpine Type R sound system:
    http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...ouareg+stealth

2010 Volvo XC60 D5 R Design
    2013 Polo Vivo traffic mobile
    2012 Husaberg TE300

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgy View Post
    Is that acid corrosion on the rear right of the battery box, or just the flash?
    It's that white crystals from the battery like you would get on the terminals but luckily the VW engineers thought the thing through and made the box of plastic.

johnny10 Guest

right, did some work today.

some notes I appreciate about VW

exhaust manifold studs are copper nuts and came off easily - they were also very easily accessible
    the clip design on coolant pipes and boost pipes make them a pleasure to install/remove

I was considering taking the cats out with the rebuild but they look almost new so will keep them as is.

if the cats are not white, then i think its time to bin them. one of the biggest problems with modern engines with cats is that they do clog up and then get hot and then let the turbos get even hotter, as the heat is not being removed.
    The cats need to be replaced at this sort of mileage.
    i am wondering if the turbo wasnt replaced previously and maybe this could have been a cause towards engine damage. taking heating/cooling of the engine and some parts of the engine run hotter than others.

Nou wat nou? Net toe ek nou lekker saamlees en fotos bekyk stop die storie net hier. Seker met lekker verlof erens. Geniet dit!

So begin dit...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockett View Post
    Nou wat nou? Net toe ek nou lekker saamlees en fotos bekyk stop die storie net hier. Seker met lekker verlof erens. Geniet dit!
    spesiaal 'n paar ure vanoggend vir jou ingesit.

Hier is die nuutste

Engine wiring harnass out of the way

A/C pump removed and moved aside without having to evacuate the system

NOTE TO SELF : get a replacement rubber coupling.

Disconnected hoses sealed off with bank bags - I like to think of them as the money bags I'm saving by doing this DIY

The current state of view

starter removed with access to flexplate bolts - not seen at the moment as the car is at TDC

driver's side with starter removed

clearance - more than enough

My DIY tool for turning the crank - much cheaper than $200+shipping

works beautifully and fits snug as well so will adapt a strongarm or something to fashion a locking tool as well.

starter out. weird that VW used 18mm bolts for it.....

the starter is also a lot smaller than I expected. The pajero 3.2 starter is nearly double the size.

Bendix looks good as new. Not bad for 250'000kms of use

Everything is now disconnected.

left to do

support the gearbox
    get the chain host ready and hooked up
    undo flexplate bolts
    undo bellhousing bolts
    undo engine mountings

and out she comes.

Page 15 of 153 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 40 65 115 ... LastLast