Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. - Page 136

Page 136 of 151 FirstFirst ... 36 86 111 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 3006

Default Re: Marius's Touareg R5 life thread. Something like that

So assuming the temp sensor is +/-6500 ohm at 0 degC and +/-230 Ohm at 100degC with resistor value X in parallel:

Temp as per ecu with resistor in parallel
    Actual Deg C_______Resistanc___1000 Ohm___2000 Ohm___4000 Ohm___5000 Ohm
    10___________________________55 degC ____40.5 degC____29 degC____26.5 degC
    50___________________________71 degC_____61 degC_____56.5 degC___55.5 degC
    80___________________________92.5 degC___86.5 degC____83.5 degC___82.5 degC
    Last edited by Tracer87ZA; 2016/05/31 at 03:23 PM.
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T 2002
    VW Touareg R5 2.5TDI 2005 (SWAMBO)

There is nothing like can't. Only don't want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer87ZA View Post
    So assuming the temp sensor is +/-6500 ohm at 0 degC and +/-230 Ohm at 100degC with resistor value X in parallel:

Temp as per ecu with resistor in parallel
    Actual Deg C_______Resistanc___1000 Ohm___2000 Ohm___4000 Ohm___5000 Ohm
    10___________________________55 degC ____40.5 degC____29 degC____26.5 degC
    50___________________________71 degC_____61 degC_____56.5 degC___55.5 degC
    80___________________________92.5 degC___86.5 degC____83.5 degC___82.5 degC
    I think I used a 1k ohm resistor in parallel. I may be wrong though. I suppose a rheostat with VCDS logging and on/off switch will be the best way to check what's the best one to use. I spent three days researching, checking VCDS and making calculations and tables before I decided on a resistor. I just can't remember which one I used.

Marius, would you say the difference in power is noticeable and worth it. I could do with some more go, because I hate the fact I can't pass two trucks without having some momentum when going for it. Obviously I am used to my Audi which does it no problem.
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T 2002

Marius, would you say the difference in power is noticeable and worth it. I could do with some more go, because I hate the fact I can't pass two trucks without having some momentum when going for it. Obviously I am used to my Audi which does it no problem.
    When I upgraded the tyre size the drop in power was noticeable. That same amount of powerloss was negated by the resistor mod. It definitely gives a bit of extra oomph pre-boost.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    When I upgraded the tyre size the drop in power was noticeable. That same amount of powerloss was negated by the resistor mod. It definitely gives a bit of extra oomph pre-boost.
    Also one of the reasons I want to go back to stock from 275/65R17. I don't benefit from the bigger size.
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T 2002

Also one of the reasons I want to go back to stock from 275/65R17. I don't benefit from the bigger size.
    I future I will have two sets. Stock size on HT tyres for long distance and 265/65/17 on muds for offroad trips.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    I future I will have two sets. Stock size on HT tyres for long distance and 265/65/17 on muds for offroad trips.
    And have the other set on the roof for incase
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T 2002

Quote Originally Posted by tracer87za View Post
    and have the other set on the roof for incase
    ;d ;d ;d
    Last edited by MariusFourie; 2016/06/01 at 11:57 AM.

Checking injector readings. My injectors 1-4 is from the old engine and number 5 from the donor engine, hence the discrepancy at cylinder 4-5. It has been coming down the last few months. They all started above +/- 1.0 after the engine swap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktms9lVYxWQ

I had the alignent sorted by my preferred Hi-Q technician today as Supa Quick (where I bought the tyres) couldn't get it 100%. The car felt twitchy.

Now that the alignment is properly setup, the car is transformed again. It's amazing how big a difference the small steering geometry changes make to the "feel" of the car.

Interesting. I had Bilsteins fitted at Mikkems and he does his alignment at a place around the corner from his shop. He said note how the first thing these guys do is check the tyre pressures! I did not see that at TWT or most of the other places. One also wonders how often they calibrate their machines.

I don't really know what to look for in a wheel alignment shop, but I was happy to defer to Daryl on this point as he seems to know what he is on about and my car feels fine after the wheel alignment.

I suspect that few shops know how to do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Interesting. I had Bilsteins fitted at Mikkems and he does his alignment at a place around the corner from his shop. He said note how the first thing these guys do is check the tyre pressures! I did not see that at TWT or most of the other places. One also wonders how often they calibrate their machines.

I don't really know what to look for in a wheel alignment shop, but I was happy to defer to Daryl on this point as he seems to know what he is on about and my car feels fine after the wheel alignment.

I make sure my pressures are correct before I go. I also raise and lower the suspension so it can settle and then lock it into "Jack Mode".

I even took the wheels and disks off last week to clean the hub mating surface to make sure the runout is good.

I like things to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post

Many years ago I used to deal with Mastertreads in Maitland for tyres etc. There was an old Terblanche omie doing the CC&A. The first thing he did was checking the tyre pressures and I have never seen it being done at any other place. He also took his time, checking everything over and over.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Hi Marius

I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I have a 2004 R5 manual Treg that has recently started to blow plumes of white smoke (smells like diesel/paraffin) from the exhaust. Initially it was only when the vehicle started and idled but has gotten worse and now does it even when driving on the high way, just not as much. There is also an intermittent issue when starting - sometimes the starter motor cranks away for 30 to 60 seconds before the engine starts. The initial assumption regarding the starting issue has been that the non-return valve in the fuel pump is stuck or broken and that fuel was running back to the tank (this seemed like a good explanation since when parked on an incline with the nose down this starting issue never occurs) and that the electric pump was taking some time to fill the line again on starting.

My question is what is the best route of diagnosis? I've seen other posts where these symptoms are linked to glow plugs, injectors and low compression from damaged rings, cylinder coating, etc. I'm thinking I should start with an oil test and a compression test. As a side note there are no errors on the console and none when plugged in.

My 2c.....plug in with VCDS and get an injector variance reading, measuring blocks 12 and 13 IIRC. Readings should be between - 2 and +2.
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Blomquist View Post
    My 2c.....plug in with VCDS and get an injector variance reading, measuring blocks 12 and 13 IIRC. Readings should be between - 2 and +2.
    Are these the readings Marius gets in the video he posted above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktms9lVYxWQ ?

Yup exactly, it will highlight an injector , compression issue
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

Quote Originally Posted by grafixgeekza View Post
    Hi Marius

I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I have a 2004 R5 manual Treg that has recently started to blow plumes of white smoke (smells like diesel/paraffin) from the exhaust. Initially it was only when the vehicle started and idled but has gotten worse and now does it even when driving on the high way, just not as much. There is also an intermittent issue when starting - sometimes the starter motor cranks away for 30 to 60 seconds before the engine starts. The initial assumption regarding the starting issue has been that the non-return valve in the fuel pump is stuck or broken and that fuel was running back to the tank (this seemed like a good explanation since when parked on an incline with the nose down this starting issue never occurs) and that the electric pump was taking some time to fill the line again on starting.

My question is what is the best route of diagnosis? I've seen other posts where these symptoms are linked to glow plugs, injectors and low compression from damaged rings, cylinder coating, etc. I'm thinking I should start with an oil test and a compression test. As a side note there are no errors on the console and none when plugged in.
    Leaking injectors seals..can gaurantee it almost. Had the same, also follow the non-return but it did not solve it.

Did you do a scan with VAGCOM or with the normal bluetooth ones?

With VAGCOM you can check how the computer start adjusting the injection quantity to balance the idle and it starts to run away. Hensce the white smoke for unburned diesel

Some guys jumper in front of me

Close to 0.0 value is better, more than 1 it is a problem

Name:  fuel_injector_balance_jetta.png
Views: 199
Size:  28.9 KB
    Last edited by Rudi.Oost; 2016/06/15 at 02:32 PM.
    “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby

VW Tiguan 2.0T - Track and Field - 4 Motion
    AG0011

Quote Originally Posted by grafixgeekza View Post
    Hi Marius

Start with a fuel filter change and return line volume test.

Check my thread for details. Sorry i am not more specific. Im on my phone and far from home.

Thanks for the replies. I'll ask the mechanic to hook it up to the VAGCOM so we can check the injectors.