Planning a trip to Botswana/Namibia in 2013! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Caprivi Houseboat Safari Lodge, Katima Mulilo

Come stock up in Katima, then the Kwando and further. But you don't leave yourself a lot of time to experience places.

Update!

We finally got together again yesterday to plan the trip a bit more.

One day was added, so we're leaving on Friday now instead of Saturday, Khaudum was dropped, and we're considering 1 or 2 days extra if it brings some more rest to our holiday.

When travelling back to Namibia we want to relax a bit more, visit a Guest Farm (2 nights), spend some time at and around Swakopmund (3 nights) and end in a nice lodge close to Windhoek.

Is this more relaxed as you guys suggested?
    If you would be able to add 1/2 more days, where would you add them?
    What Guest Farms would you suggest?
    Any other suggestions?

This is the new route :

09/08/2013: From Belgium to Frankfurt (20:10) and off to Namibia
    10/08/2013: Arrive in the morning in Namibia (6:30), get campers, shop, ..., sleep at Kalahari Bush Breaks
    11/08/2013: Cross the Botswana border, travel to Maun. Discover Maun, do a scenic flight, shop, ...
    12/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Third Bridge
    13/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Xakanaxa
    14/08/2013: Game Drive (and maybe a mokoro trip), spend the night at Xakanaxa
    15/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Savute
    16/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Ihaha
    17/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Ihaha
    18/08/2013: Game Drive and travel to Chobe Safari Lodge, do a Boat Cruise at night
    19/08/2013: A day to Vic Falls, spend another night at Chobe Safari Lodge
    20/08/2013: Travel to and discover East Caprivi
    21/08/2013: Travel to and discover West Caprivi
    22/08/2013: Travel towards the Guest Farm, this will depend mainly on which GF we will choose
    23/08/2013: Travel to the Guest Farm, do an activity there in the afternoon
    24/08/2013: Activities and another night at the Guest Farm
    25/08/2013: To Swakopmund
    26/08/2013: Discover the area around Swakopmund or have a relaxed day
    27/08/2013: A sporty day at Swakopmund (quads, sandboarding, parachute, ...)
    28/08/2013: Travel to Sesriem to visit the dunes in the morning
    29/08/2013: A nice luxurious lodge around Windhoek to have a last relax evening and night
    30/08/2013: Leave Namibia in the evening (21:15)
    31/08/2013: Arrive in Frankfurt in the morning (6:10) and travel back to Belgium

What are your plans for the Caprivi? Where can we assist?

No plans yet for the Caprivi, we have to dig into that. The part after Kasane was a bit too fast in our previous planning, so we tried to make it more relax.

And one of my friends suggested to visit a Guest Farm in Namibia, so basically we now put 3 nights between Kasane and that Guest Farm, leaving us enough time (I think) to discover the Caprivi and get to the farm.

Last time I got a lot of reactions telling that we were going too fast, so I'm very curious what you guys think now?

Also, we can still at add 1/2 more days to the holiday, so I'm curious where you would add them?

And what Guest Farms would you recommend (somewhere between Caprivi and Swakopmund)? Maybe even one where you can visit some Himba (or other) village?

And off course any other suggestions you feel you want to share with me after reading my post

For Caprivi I would suggest one of the lodges in the eastern area coming from Kasane. Do a sunset cruise or something like that.

Leave early the next day for the western part where you select from those lodges in the area. Do a game drive through Mudumu or the other parts, depending where you'd stay. Not as many animals as Chobe, but beautiful nonetheless.

Don't know any game farms, but Himbas are too far away. Look at Grootfontein, Tsumeb, Otavi or Otjiwarongo area. It will be a long drive from the Caprivi. Alternatively you can stop over near Divundu (Ngepi or other) and continue from there.

All of a sudden it really looks like a wonderful itinerary! You could still sleep a night at Spitzkoppe on 23/08. It's close enough to Swakopmund and you could climb the Spitzkoppe and have a view of the surroundings as an afternoon activity.

Good to hear that I'm getting more approval now

We're thinking about doing a guest farm between Caprivi and Swakopmund. We read good things about it, it's something else then the standard game driving, you can do some hikes there, ... In short, something different
    Is that a good idea, something you guys would recommend? And if so, are there any guest farms that you would recommend in that wide area?

EDIT: Let me open that question up a little bit. It doesnt have to be a guest farm, a lodge is fine too. We just want more options then just game driving (hiking, a nice tour, a visit to a local village, ..) and we wouldn't mind a beautiful pool either
    Last edited by codemann; 2012/10/23 at 12:28 PM.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea. I always like a night of R&R in-between. Soak in a pool, have a cold beer, not having to cook, not having to worry. Only place I know along the way you're travelling is Roy's Rest Camp (see some earlier comments; http://roysrestcamp.com) but it's a bit near the Caprivi. You could spend a night there and a night between it and Swakopmund (ok, I won't mention Spitzkoppe again )

Another wonderful place is Koiimasis: http://www.namibia-farm-lodge.com. You'd have to completely change your itinerary, so I won't recommend it now but keep it in mind for another time. Secluded, at the edge of the mountains and the desert, it's got a charm of its own. One of the best stops I had in two trips to Namibia.

Hello,

10/08/2013: Arrive in the morning in Namibia (6:30), get campers, shop, ..., sleep at Kalahari Bush Breaks
    You can also do your shopping in Gobabis, you will maybe save time avoiding Windhoek? I'd prefere Zelda Guest Fram rather than Kalahari Bush Break.
    No time to enjoy anything this day.

11/08/2013: Cross the Botswana border, travel to Maun. Discover Maun, do a scenic flight, shop, ...There is not much to discover in Maun town! Hopefully you will be on time for a scenic flight. I'm not so sure.
    Maybe a 2nd day with nothing to enjoy.

12/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Third Bridge
    13/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Xakanaxa
    14/08/2013: Game Drive (and maybe a mokoro trip), spend the night at Xakanaxa
    15/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Savute
    16/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Ihaha
    17/08/2013: Game Drive, spend the night at Ihaha
    18/08/2013: Game Drive and travel to Chobe Safari Lodge, do a Boat Cruise at night
    19/08/2013: A day to Vic Falls, spend another night at Chobe Safari Lodge

OK. In my opinion one night in Ihaha would be enough. There aren't many possibilities of game drive around.

20/08/2013: Travel to and discover East Caprivi
    Say "hi" to Curt on my behalf!

21/08/2013: Travel to and discover West Caprivi
    I think you should spend a bit of time in Nkasa Lupala NP (ex- Mamili) and/or in the Susuwe triangle.

22/08/2013: Travel towards the Guest Farm, this will depend mainly on which GF we will choose
    23/08/2013: Travel to the Guest Farm, do an activity there in the afternoon
    24/08/2013: Activities and another night at the Guest Farm
    25/08/2013: To Swakopmund

Depends on which Game Farm... What kind of activities do you intend to do? I don't really understand. Caprivi to Swakopmund is a long road anyway. And you will miss the Damaraland.

26/08/2013: Discover the area around Swakopmund or have a relaxed day
    27/08/2013: A sporty day at Swakopmund (quads, sandboarding, parachute, ...)
    2 nights in Swakopmund, OK. 3 nights is maybe one too much seing the previous days.

28/08/2013: Travel to Sesriem to visit the dunes in the morning
    29/08/2013: A nice luxurious lodge around Windhoek to have a last relax evening and night

Sesriem in the morning and the road to Windhoek the same day? Again, it's short, short, short...

Hoping I've helped a bit...
    Pierre
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    dumela.jimdo.com

Stay at Caprivi House Boats. At least one night.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

If you are looking for somewhere to overnight near Grootfontein you can't do better than Roy's Camp. You can arrange a trip to the Bushman village from there as well. Don't miss the meteorite at Hoba as well, A short detour gets you there.
    Last edited by Plod; 2012/10/24 at 04:46 PM.
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (To be Sold)
    Mad Man (EMS1)

We just returned from 10 days camping in Namibia - Roy's is still great option. Also camped at Waterberg Plateau Campsite. 12 campsites with clean ablutions & lots of hot water - each campsite is allocated its own toilet/shower area. They also have 2 lodge options and offer game drives & nature walks. Very nice venue - much better than NWR down the road.

Ditto on Roys. If you want somewhere really special in Windhoek at the end - Hotel Heinitzburg

Drive Botswana - self drive safaris
    www.drivebotswana.com
    facebook.com/drivebotswana

Fantasy:
    Mercedes G63 AMG 6x6
    Unimog U5000
    Reality:
    LC Prado 150 TX D4-D, MT762 Bighorns, Stofpad rocksliders & bashplate

We spent 3 nights at Nhoma camp in 2009 which is next to a Bushman village and had a great cultural experience. Our host, Arno, also led us into Kaudom for a day. After weeks in Namibia doing commercial safari, we found Kaudom refreshing. Not much other wildlife than elephants, but for Namibia that was an amazing experience. It inspired us to do Botswana in 2011. After Bots, however, I think maybe Kaudom would be less exciting. But a great place to have to yourself!

We're adding an extra day at the beginning to make it less busy and enjoy our trip properly. And we're probably changing 1 night in Savute and 2 nights in Ihaha to 2 nights in Savute and 1 night in Ihaha.

Someone also suggested to add one night in Magotho. It sounds like a very basic but beautiful place to say, but I'm starting to become worried if we can do all this with one diesel tank of 140L (Toyota Hilux 2.5L Diesel):
    - 1 night @ Third Bridge
    - 2 nights @ Xakanaxa
    - 1 night @ Magotho
    - 2 nights @ Savute
    - 1 night @ Ihaha

I could use the experience of you guys... How do you "calculate" your fuel consumption because you basicly have no idea how much game driving you'll do?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2