Planning a trip to Botswana/Namibia in 2013!




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    37
    Posts
    161
    Thanked: 0

    Default Planning a trip to Botswana/Namibia in 2013!

    INTRODUCTION

    After going to Namibia and Botswana in 2009, I've been telling so many stories to my friends that 4 of them want to go with me next year to discover those countries once again. Instead of the 4 weeks that I've spend there in 2009, it'll only be 3 weeks, but that shouldn't spoil the fun! We'll be renting two 4x4 campers.

    I've been puzzling a bit the last days and I've come up with this raw draft that I'm going to present them next weekend.
    All suggestions from you guys are off course welcome! If you're all good and help me out a lot, I'll make a nice report afterwards with lots of pictures!


    THE FIRST DRAFT

    10/08/2013: From Belgium to Frankfurt (20:10) and off to Namibia
    11/08/2013: Arrive in the morning in Namibia (6:30), get campers, shop, ..., sleep at Kalahari Bush Breaks
    12/08/2013: Cross the Botswana border, travel to Maun. Discover Maun, do a scenic flight, shop, ...
    13/08/2013: Enter Moremi, start the game drives and spend the first night at Third Bridge
    14/08/2013: Continue the game drive, sleepover at Xakanaxa
    15/08/2013: Get up early for a mokoro trip, game drive to North Bridge or stay another night at Xakanaxa
    16/08/2013: Game drive, destination Savute
    17/08/2013: Game drive, destination Ihaha
    18/08/2013: Game drive, stay another night in Ihaha
    19/08/2013: A bit more game driving and travel to Chobe Safari Lodge, do a Boat Cruise at night
    20/08/2013: A day to Vic Falls, spend another night at Chobe Safari Lodge
    21/08/2013: Discover the Caprivi area and spend the night somewhere there (Ngepi Camp?)
    22/08/2013: Some more Caprivi, fuel and shop, travel to the North of Khaudum
    23/08/2013: Travel Khaudum from the North to the South camp
    24/08/2013: Travel to somewhere around Grootfontein or Waterberg
    25/08/2013: If Grootfontein, try to do a visit to the Bushmen people (Ju/'hoansi San village of Grashoek?), otherwise discover Waterberg or its surrounding
    26/08/2013: Travel to Swakopmund
    27/08/2013: Have fun at Swakopmund (quads, sandboarding, ...) and spend another night there
    28/08/2013: Discover the neighbourhood and end at Sesriem to spend the night there
    29/08/2013: Go to a nice luxurious lodge in the Kalahari and enjoy a relaxed last evening in Namibia
    30/08/2013: Leave Namibia in the evening (21:15)
    31/08/2013: Arrive in Frankfurt in the morning (6:10) and travel back to Belgium


    MY REMARKS / NOTES / QUESTIONS :

    - One of the remarks I got from some of the friends was that they didn't want to do gamedrives all the time, so I tried to mix it up
    - I hope I can get them warm for Khaudum, if not I'm thinking about adding Makgadikga Pans/Kubu Island instead
    - I've read that a lot of people seem to do a mokoro trip in Maun, but I thaught it would be nicer to do one in Moremi. I've seen a movie on YouTube from a mokoro trip in the morning and it's absolutely beautiful. Any feedback on that?
    - Anyone has visited the Bushmen people, the Ju/'hoansi San village of Grashoek? Any feedback on that?


    Thanks in advance for any feedback!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chantilly, North of Paris France
    Age
    67
    Posts
    826
    Thanked: 0

    Cool

    Hi,

    Kasane to Ngepi is a lot in one day.

    Same applies to Ngepi to North Kaudom (track from Main road to NP entrance is alone at least three hours)..

    Kaudom South to Grootfontein or Waterberg is much too much for one day (apart from this, I wonder whether Waterberg needs a stop within such a short journey , but there are probably different opinions about this topic).

    It is bloody difficult to see so many places in three weeks (I would take at least four, maybe five, but I am a lazy old man).

    Cheers...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Spending the same 3 weeks in Botswana, maun, third bridge, xakanaxa, savuti, chobe. Will keep an eye open for you.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    37
    Posts
    161
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    @Eric :
    Thanks for the feedback! Waterberg doesn't need a stop, I just haven't found yet what we should do between Khaudum and Swakopmund and I'm leaving the options open. I'd love to visit that Bushmen village around Grootfontein, but I have to read more about it.
    But anyways, I'm going to see how we can add some more time to our trip where you mentioned it.
    And yeah, I wish I could go 4-5 weeks too (I'm a lazy young man ), but it just isn't possible this time...

    @JohnnyD :
    Let me know where you'll be and I'll keep an eye out for you too
    It's a first draft, since the rest are first time visitors I'm letting them decide, I just try to push in the right direction

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees England
    Age
    73
    Posts
    851
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Far too much for 3 weeks - try 3 months and you might be talking.

    Been there, tried to do it and failed miserably.

    Too beautiful a country to fly through.
    Margaret

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chantilly, North of Paris France
    Age
    67
    Posts
    826
    Thanked: 0

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by codemann View Post
    @Eric :
    Thanks for the feedback! Waterberg doesn't need a stop, I just haven't found yet what we should do between Khaudum and Swakopmund and I'm leaving the options open. I'd love to visit that Bushmen village around Grootfontein, but I have to read more about it.
    But anyways, I'm going to see how we can add some more time to our trip where you mentioned it.
    And yeah, I wish I could go 4-5 weeks too (I'm a lazy young man ), but it just isn't possible this time...

    @JohnnyD :
    Let me know where you'll be and I'll keep an eye out for you too
    It's a first draft, since the rest are first time visitors I'm letting them decide, I just try to push in the right direction
    Hi,

    You can see everything you want about Bushmen in Tsumkwe, just when driving out of Khaudom.

    I do not know whether you are an experienced bush traveller or not, nevertheless the average I calculate for driving (do not trust too much T4A):

    - Tar: 80 kph
    - Gravel: 50 kph
    - Tracks: 20 to 30 kph maximum

    Cheers..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delmas
    Age
    57
    Posts
    10,135
    Thanked: 25

    Default

    Why Kaudom? Rather think of Etosha then down to Swakopmund. On your way you can visit Twyfelfontein, Orrelpype and Brandberge. Nice to see

    My sister was in Kaudom last week, very dissapointing, veld fires, very deep deep sand and nothing to see. So. Think about Etosha.
    Elize

    en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    37
    Posts
    161
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Why Kaudom? Rather think of Etosha then down to Swakopmund. On your way you can visit Twyfelfontein, Orrelpype and Brandberge. Nice to see

    My sister was in Kaudom last week, very disapointing, veld fires, very deep deep sand and nothing to see. So. Think about Etosha.
    My experience with Etosha in 2009 was very disappointing. After being in a relaxed atmosphere in Botswana you suddenly get back into the very commercial atmosphere. The lighted waterholes felt so fake (people in their most beautiful clothes with a glass of champagne where watching the animals, it felt like being in a zoo) and when we spotted a few lions under a bush, people were almost fighting to get the best spot with their car...

    And I heard the opposite from Khaudum, that it was very rough and you could spot a lot of animals there. But off course I could be wrong there?

    But, thanks for the feedback, I'm thinking about making a few route suggestions for my friends!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chantilly, North of Paris France
    Age
    67
    Posts
    826
    Thanked: 0

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Why Kaudom? Rather think of Etosha then down to Swakopmund. On your way you can visit Twyfelfontein, Orrelpype and Brandberge. Nice to see

    My sister was in Kaudom last week, very dissapointing, veld fires, very deep deep sand and nothing to see. So. Think about Etosha.
    Hi,

    There are most different opinions about Khaudom:

    Last April, at first the guy who runs Nunda Safaris and Lodge, Cameron, told me it is fantastic, must be done...Some days after the guy who runs Shamvura camp (Caprivi, I intended to drive to Khaudom the day after) told me it were uninteresting, no animals to be seen due to thick bush and not working waterholes (nobody cares about them), very think sand (which is not the problem for me), so I decided not to go to Khaudom.

    Some days after I heard from people who had been there shortly it was fantastic....and I must say, now i wish I would have tried...

    It is all a matter of personnal taste, but I must say I share the feeling our friend has about Etosha..I travel Southern Africa to be in the wild, and having to share the tracks with buses, as well as having 10 cars and two buses stopping at the same spot to see animals is not very pleasant. I was very disappointed as I overnighted at Halali in 2008, for me it has a taste of an holiday resort, with lots of young people drunked before the restaurant (which is not good value for money)...Only good thing at Halali is the waterhole, you can see lots of animals....together with lots of tourists..

    Maybe I came the wrong day ?? And maybe I am spoilt as well..

    Cheers

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    38
    Posts
    370
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    Hallo

    In my opinion this is way too much driving.......6 weeks needed for this trip.

    This is like flying to Paris spending the night, taking the train to Brussels and then off to Amsterdam the next day, spend the night, off to.......you get the idea.......

    In places like Moremi and Savuti 2 night is the minimum....but 3 is the best. You are likely to put up camp and break camp more than you will be game viewing....and will see nothing in the end.

    Spend 2 days in Vic Falls, not just a pop-in but a proper visit.

    My opinion, been there done it.....changed my habits from trying to see everything to seeing it properly.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delmas
    Age
    57
    Posts
    10,135
    Thanked: 25

    Default

    Please read here, a trip report about Kaudom
    http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=111360

    It looks good.
    Elize

    en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Den Haag
    Age
    46
    Posts
    66
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    The Bots part of your trip seems ok to me but the Namibian part feels too cramped. Can't comment on Kaudhum as I've never been there, but I wouldn't trade it for Etosha either. Botswana feels so much wilder as you've already stated. In Namibia I'd focus a bit more on Sossusvlei than you've already done and include a night at Spitzkoppe for the fantastic views. Brandberg is very interesting as well but can be a 2 hour stop on a day of travelling. Don't know if it still exists but Roy's Rest Camp near Grootfontein was a wonderful place, should you be looking for a place to stay over.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    37
    Posts
    161
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Thanks for all your feedbacks, keep em coming so my head can keep working

    Yeah, if possible I sure would like to add some days in Chobe or Moremi, but that all depends on what the group wants.
    Since my friends want more than just game drives (if it were my I would just do Moremi, Chobe, Caprivi, Khaudum), I'm thinking about adding a day to Caprivi and then start heading as soon as possible to the coast (while probably skipping a few cool things, but you can't have it all) to end the holiday a bit more relaxed at the coast (Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, ...).

    Haven't had time yet to see if it actually fits our time schedule, but if we skip Khaudum we should gain enough time to do that.

    They are all now reading about the countries so they can tell what they want to see. I'm very curious, I'm sure it'll be a giant list and I'll have to calm them down just as you guys are doing with me now.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chantilly, North of Paris France
    Age
    67
    Posts
    826
    Thanked: 0

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by gregoire View Post
    The Bots part of your trip seems ok to me but the Namibian part feels too cramped. Can't comment on Kaudhum as I've never been there, but I wouldn't trade it for Etosha either. Botswana feels so much wilder as you've already stated. In Namibia I'd focus a bit more on Sossusvlei than you've already done and include a night at Spitzkoppe for the fantastic views. Brandberg is very interesting as well but can be a 2 hour stop on a day of travelling. Don't know if it still exists but Roy's Rest Camp near Grootfontein was a wonderful place, should you be looking for a place to stay over.
    Hi,

    Roy's Camp still existed last May (I was already there in 200. It is actually one of my favourite stops in Nam. For campsites, only pop in, you do not need to book.

    From a general point of view it is (unfortunately) not much frequented, due to the lack of touristic activities in the vicinity..

    Cheers..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Den Haag
    Age
    46
    Posts
    66
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Good to hear, Eric. Last time I was there was back in 1999! Went back to Namibia in 2007 but we stuck to the western parts mostly and didn't get anywhere near Roy's place. I remember it fondly!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chantilly, North of Paris France
    Age
    67
    Posts
    826
    Thanked: 0

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by gregoire View Post
    Good to hear, Eric. Last time I was there was back in 1999! Went back to Namibia in 2007 but we stuck to the western parts mostly and didn't get anywhere near Roy's place. I remember it fondly!
    Hi,

    Is Gregoire your family name or given name (I know a Gregoire family in Brussels, 50% Wallon 50% DRC).

    Cheers..

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Den Haag
    Age
    46
    Posts
    66
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric60260 View Post
    Hi,

    Is Gregoire your family name or given name (I know a Gregoire family in Brussels, 50% Wallon 50% DRC).

    Cheers..
    Family name. I'm 100% Dutch though (sorry ). My wife works for the Dutch foreign office. Before Brussels we lived in Paris ('05-'09) and Strasbourg ('04-'05). That was the time when we revisited Botswana ('05) and Namibia ('07) after having explored both in 1999. We'll be heading back into Chobe next year: our mutual gift for having been married for 10 years by then...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chantilly, North of Paris France
    Age
    67
    Posts
    826
    Thanked: 0

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by gregoire View Post
    Family name. I'm 100% Dutch though (sorry ). My wife works for the Dutch foreign office. Before Brussels we lived in Paris ('05-'09) and Strasbourg ('04-'05). That was the time when we revisited Botswana ('05) and Namibia ('07) after having explored both in 1999. We'll be heading back into Chobe next year: our mutual gift for having been married for 10 years by then...
    Hi,

    Europe is very small, I live in Chantilly (50 km North of Paris), my friend in Brussels (Vorst), my Gregoire friends in Uccle, used to live in Francfort and Duesseldorf, have kids in Munich and a Landy 110 in L' Stone..

    Cheers.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    66
    Posts
    5,038
    Thanked: 60

    Default

    Back tot he initial question, a suggestion for this time slot:
    21/08/2013: Discover the Caprivi area and spend the night somewhere there (Ngepi Camp?)
    Ngepi is too far west and you'll miss out the Eastern Caprivi - try Mudumu, Mazambala or Kwando before crossing the strip.

    22/08/2013: Some more Caprivi, fuel and shop, travel to the North of Khaudum
    Now Ngepi could come in or alternatively the other side of the river the community camp close to the state prison, overlooking the Popa falls.

    23/08/2013:
    Travel Khaudum from the North to the South camp
    This would fall awy if your friends do not want to rough it too much.

    24/08/2013:
    Travel to somewhere around Grootfontein or Waterberg
    Waterberg has a good reputation for different resons, a bit of physical exercises to climb the rock through the gorge, good view or simply relax in a pleasant atmosphere.

    The Bots part look fine to me given the time contraints you face.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    37
    Posts
    161
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Back tot he initial question, a suggestion for this time slot:
    21/08/2013: Discover the Caprivi area and spend the night somewhere there (Ngepi Camp?)
    Ngepi is too far west and you'll miss out the Eastern Caprivi - try Mudumu, Mazambala or Kwando before crossing the strip.

    22/08/2013: Some more Caprivi, fuel and shop, travel to the North of Khaudum
    Now Ngepi could come in or alternatively the other side of the river the community camp close to the state prison, overlooking the Popa falls.

    23/08/2013:
    Travel Khaudum from the North to the South camp
    This would fall awy if your friends do not want to rough it too much.

    24/08/2013:
    Travel to somewhere around Grootfontein or Waterberg
    Waterberg has a good reputation for different resons, a bit of physical exercises to climb the rock through the gorge, good view or simply relax in a pleasant atmosphere.

    The Bots part look fine to me given the time contraints you face.
    Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trip report - Namibia Dec 09-Jan 10
    By GreenDisco in forum Namibia
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2014/01/06, 03:53 PM
  2. ZIM ZAM Trip 2013
    By Southerndreams in forum Zambia
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2012/10/05, 07:42 PM
  3. Trip planning for Angola Jan 2012
    By africancats in forum Angola
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2011/11/05, 04:06 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2011/10/26, 10:54 AM
  5. Help with Moz. Trip Planning
    By Fabfender in forum Mozambique
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009/01/05, 10:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •