2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5i - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

without reading all the posts above I can just say "Go for it".
    Good value for the money.
    I had mine since new and done now 285'000kms, (through my fault I had to replace the engine as I drowned it in a river crossing).
    The vehicle is still going strong but I have all the mods you can think of OME suspension with 2" lift, long range and dbl tank (total 210 litres) hydraulic winch, etc.
    Check the suspension bushes for play, the visco fan blades then the exhaust, otherwise if she sound okay, there is little that can be wrong.
    Mine is chipped and I now have an aftermarket supercharger on which brings the fuel consumption to about 4.5 km/Litre (hi-hi) this fully loaded and towing a trailer in off road conditions. On highway to CPT I get the between 5 and 5.5 km/ltr @ average speed of 100 kph.
    I am running 265/75R16's

Enjoy the ride.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer

Thank you all very much,

I was a bit slow, somebody else already grabbed the 2000 Patrol I was looking at. I feel a bit relieved, it had a lot of kilos and I am not, in all honesty, very technically skilled.as In Jan 2013 I want to invest in a newer model with less kilos. Ideal would be one that already has some mods on.

Just a few questions that I would love to ask you all. I have a 2012 NP300 Hardbody 2.5 CDi 4x4. Would it be perhaps wiser to spend 40 - 50 thousand to rather rig the HB rather than buying the Patrol. I was thinking steel bumper, winch, snorkel, and OME suspension? Some users suggested that I fit an extra water separator to protect the engine and injectors against dirty and unpure diesel.

Let us suppose that I do not buy a Patrol and rather convert the HB, would it still be capable to overlanding as far north as let's say Zambia or Tanzania? I bought it for overlanding purposes.

Then, the other option: Let's say that I buy a 2008/9 Patrol with lower kilos. Given the investment, I would not be able to spend as much on modifications than on the HB. I would have to keep the HB as well because I drive 60 - 100 km's per day. Sometimes even more, the Patrol would bankrupt me. I have decided to consider this option seriously in 2013. If I decide to buy the Patrol, should I go for diesel or petrol?

Lastly, how essential is mods when overlanding? I have booked a trip to Makgadigadi, Chobe and Savuti from 18 December 2012 - 1 Jan 2013. As I've mentioned, the HB is brand new and stock standard. Since buying the vehicle, I have done De Wildt, Hennops and Groenkloof. That's it.

Should I perhaps postpone and rather do some off-road training courses first and perhaps fit some mods to vehicle first?

All these options and ideas are confusing and troubling me. Also, I'm not a rich man, so I cannot invest in vehicles at leisure.

I would like to thank you all for the advice: Since joining this forum recently, I have only received humble, honest and truly helpfull advice.
    Nissan NP300 Hardbody 2.5CDi 4x4

how's parts availability and costs vs the cruiser? Patrols, like cruisers, are as solid as a 4x4 can be, quality vehicles...my cousin's husband has the 4.8 GRX...beast!
    Prado 120 V6

Quote Originally Posted by Johann 1984 View Post
    Thank you all very much,

I was a bit slow, somebody else already grabbed the 2000 Patrol I was looking at. I feel a bit relieved, it had a lot of kilos and I am not, in all honesty, very technically skilled.as In Jan 2013 I want to invest in a newer model with less kilos. Ideal would be one that already has some mods on.

Just a few questions that I would love to ask you all. I have a 2012 NP300 Hardbody 2.5 CDi 4x4. Would it be perhaps wiser to spend 40 - 50 thousand to rather rig the HB rather than buying the Patrol. I was thinking steel bumper, winch, snorkel, and OME suspension? Some users suggested that I fit an extra water separator to protect the engine and injectors against dirty and unpure diesel.

Let us suppose that I do not buy a Patrol and rather convert the HB, would it still be capable to overlanding as far north as let's say Zambia or Tanzania? I bought it for overlanding purposes.

Then, the other option: Let's say that I buy a 2008/9 Patrol with lower kilos. Given the investment, I would not be able to spend as much on modifications than on the HB. I would have to keep the HB as well because I drive 60 - 100 km's per day. Sometimes even more, the Patrol would bankrupt me. I have decided to consider this option seriously in 2013. If I decide to buy the Patrol, should I go for diesel or petrol?

Lastly, how essential is mods when overlanding? I have booked a trip to Makgadigadi, Chobe and Savuti from 18 December 2012 - 1 Jan 2013. As I've mentioned, the HB is brand new and stock standard. Since buying the vehicle, I have done De Wildt, Hennops and Groenkloof. That's it.

Should I perhaps postpone and rather do some off-road training courses first and perhaps fit some mods to vehicle first?

All these options and ideas are confusing and troubling me. Also, I'm not a rich man, so I cannot invest in vehicles at leisure.

I would like to thank you all for the advice: Since joining this forum recently, I have only received humble, honest and truly helpfull advice.

Johann, you are the only one who can figure out, whether or not you are able or willing to afford the Patrol.
    Of course you can do overlanding up to Tanzania (and a lot further) in a HB. In a certain way you could compare it to driving on the beach with a beetle vs. a 4x4. Possible, but not necessarily ideal, unless you don't want to afford a 4x4.
    Overlanding with the Patrol would be much nicer than with the HB. THe Patrol would offer so much more comfort and possibly space. Enginewise the larger 6 cylinder Patrol is a better option than the HB engine, it is hugely downrated and was made for that purpose of leisurely propelling the vehicle.

Overlanding with the HB would roughly half your fuel cost. Depending on how long you were planning to keep that bakkie, devaluation by putting on the extra miles would be an issue.

But the question you are asking can't really be answered by simply comparing cost. It is about what do you want to travel in and what do you want to afford.

In my case it is certainly financially not reasonable to keep my old Cruiser. But I do it anyway.
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

I guess all 4x4 bakkies are reasonably capable. However, I'm more concerned with the reliability issues. What is the chances of terrible breakdowns when travelling with the HB vs with the Patrol. I am still young and free of back problems. For me 4x4 capability and reliability is more of an issue than comfort. As long as I know that the HB won't disgrace me on a hellish road somewhere in Africa, I would tolerate the very spartan interior and less comfortable ride. For me it's all about what's going on under the bonnet ito capability and reliability.

You won't be able to know for sure either way. But as mentioned earlier on this thread, the 6 cylinder Patrol engines have the reputation of being bullet proof. They are big engines with rather low output. In a way they are crude, very little technology. Their core origins probably somewhere from the 70s or 60s. Hence the fuel consumption. It would be rather unlikely that a Patrol engine would let you down with a major mechanical failure.

The Hardbody 2.5 engine is a derivate of the Navara turbo diesel, I believe. Certainly not a bad engine, in the Hardbody also quite downrated (98 kw vs 140 kw) but still, it's a relatively modern day turbo diesel. More technology, more chances things could go wrong.

If I would go overlanding north of our borders, I would rather go with my 1983 LC than with my Amarok. If something does go wrong, chances to find a local repair shop able to fix the cruiser are higher than anybody being able to fix the Amarok. Same counts for the Patrol vs Hardbody.
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Point taken. Thanks!

Johann
    I cant see on this 'crapple' thing where you are from :-) but I have the older '2006' HB 3.0 TDi, rigged out for overlanding and you are more than welcome to have a look at what i've done.(there are pics all over this forum :-) ) I'm in Alberton

Shani and I go to the GTGs, Botswana, Kruger, etc. and we're totally self sufficient......
    We've done some interesting stuff and never so far had any hassles. 130k on the clock and going strong. Had the odd repair (prop shaft universals, etc. but that I see as normal ware and tare )
    I'm not sure about the newer models, but mine already has 2 diesel filters.
    We've done some 'interesting' water crossings too and no problems.
    I'm happy to share ideas......

Sent using Tapatalk HD

My take on this is that a lot depends on you. What your priorities are, how many people you put in the car and how hard and fast you try and move.

The parts of a vehicle that take the biggest pounding when overlanding is the suspension and drivetrain.

I have heard of and seen a number of front suspension failures on the Hardbody, and only heard of one on a Patrol, and that one was the result of serious abuse. That was a bent rear control arm, it was bent on a rock and then "folded" later. It was fairly easy to fix though.

The failures on the Hardbody front suspension I have seen were usually breakages of the front wishbone, and would have been fairly tricky to fix in the field. I have also heard of several front tie bar failures on these and other similar vehicles.

The Patrol's drivetrain is also very strong and failures are rare.

Modifications:
    I have a couple of friends who have done the Moremi/Savuti/Chobe trip in standard Patrols, and the vehicle cope very well in standard form. In my opinion it is worth changing the tire sizes to 285/75/16, as this gives some usefull extra ground clearance, but be advised that in the 3l diesel and 4.5 Petrol cars fitted with automatic transmissions the vehicle may then "hunt" for gears a bit more at freeway speeds. The later 5-speed auto fitted to the 4.8 and the manual boxes do not have this problem.

A good aftermarket suspension does any 4x4 a world of good, but on the Patrol
    (and striclty as an overlander) just adding some air-bag helpers to the rear is a good compromise, particularly if you load heavily.

The other things any overland vehicle can do with is a dual-battery system and long-range tanks. The Patrol has a 145l tank as standard, but it can be extended to 200-210l.

Petrol or Diesel:
    The 3l has a very bad reputation. However most of the problems related to very early models (2003/2004) and most of these problems have been solved, but it is still not nearly as reliable as any of the Petrol engines or the 4.2 Diesel, but in terms of fuel consumption it trounces all other variations.

The 4.2 Diesel was only sold in SA in non-turbo form, and any modified engine needs to have it's history carefully examined as these engines do not like to be pushed too hard. Modified 4.2's are also prone to overheating. If you can get a N/A version, they are probably the most reliable of all Patrols, but slow.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Many many good points and advice here.

If i can add my opinion too:

From past experience (ie:Paying my school-fees) i have come to the conclusion that it is better to invest in a good,solid,reliable overlanding platform (ie: a stock-standard Patrol,Cruiser,Gelandewagen) and use it in its stock standard form until funds allow additional gear, than it is to use a less suited platform with all the mods in the world.

Now, before people with HB's and Hilux's bring their pitchforks and lanterns, let me just say, A Hard Body,hilux,Isuzu etc can do the job very easily and is more than capable of tackling the same terrain (lust look at Ian "OFFROAD ADDICT" and look where he has been in his!),particularly with all the new technologies, but a big ladder frame chassis,large live axles,old school motor tech,robust drivelines,duel oil and/or fuel filtres etc all as standard in a purpose-built package, will often be able to do it day in and day out for a longer period of time, and certainly with more comfort due to coil springs.

So to sum up, yes, you can overland very happily in an stock standard vehicle such as the patrol as they are purpose-built.

My patrol has seen some mods to its benefit, BUT...... in my opinion, a stock standard cruiser,patrol etc will give you less hassels in the long run, as well as possibly even more milage. (This deserves an entirely new thread though).

Good luck with the research, either way, just get out there and get involved. Some of my best overlanding experiences were as a student with both my old 4x4 hilux SFA's and as also later with an Isuzu 280DT 4x4.....so it doesn't always matter what you in...
    Last edited by Russ Kellermann; 2012/10/09 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    ....... The Patrol has a 145l tank as standard, but it can be extended to 200-210l.

Careful with this statement, mine came with 95 litre standard tank (SA spec's)
    The TD42 (JPN specs) also goes with 95 litre.

My mods on the TB45 was 145 litre stainless steel tank and 70 litre aluminium aux.
    On the TD42 I just added the 70 Litre aux tank.

Range for both +- 800km depending on terrain and weight of the right foot.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer

The 4.5GRX has two tanks as far as I know, not sure what their capacities are

Its 90L and 45L Sub tank to my understanding.....

Patrol pickup comes 95L and 85L Sub.

Another consideration for me would be:
    The 2.5 Nissan Turbo Diesel engine might not like the diesel you get north of the RSA border so much. This could be compensated for by UDF filters and more frequent oil changes.

The big petrol engine would be less sensitive.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

A total of 135 on the 4.5 GRX rings a bell....thanks!

Thanks Russ Kellerman,

For interest sake then: Does the fitment of aftermarket upgrades shorten the lifespan of the vehicle? You mentioned more milage...

Very good advice

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Careful with this statement, mine came with 95 litre standard tank (SA spec's)
    The TD42 (JPN specs) also goes with 95 litre.

My mods on the TB45 was 145 litre stainless steel tank and 70 litre aluminium aux.
    On the TD42 I just added the 70 Litre aux tank.

Range for both +- 800km depending on terrain and weight of the right foot.
    Sorry Walter, I guess I should have pointed out that I was talking about "later" models, as the OP stated an intention of looking for a 2008/2009 model.

However by far the majority of Y61 models do seem to have the double tanks?

Johann certain (most?) modifications will have an adverse effect on vehicle lifespan. Most mods add weight, which will always cause certain parts to work harder, but the effect is usually not enough to worry about and also certainly less detrimental in these larger vehicles.

Larger wheels and tires (while in most circumstances adding off-road ability) also load suspension, steering, axle and drivetrain components harder, and engine modifications will virtually always result in measurably shorter engine lifespan, as well as adding load to the drivetrain.

Despite this, I believe a lot of the modifications we do have more benefits than negatives.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Hi guys
    I am looking at buying a Nissan 450o patrol
    What is the crusing speed of itat a reasonable fuel consumption

Welcome to the forum Vince

That depends on what you consider to be reasonable, and also on the modifications doen and load. Like almost any car, peak efficiancy is at around 80-90km/h, but not much difference between that and 100. It will easily cruise at 120 though, for probably 1/2l/km more?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2