Land Rover Discovery 3 (2005) vs Nissan Patrol (2005)

Default Land Rover Discovery 3 (2005) vs Nissan Patrol (2005)

Hi. I hope you can help me with some advice: how does the Land Rover Discovery 3 compare to a Nissan Patrol, both 2005 models. Which is the better vehicle?

If you ask a Landy guy then the Landy is better and a Nissan guy will say the Nissan is better.
    Personally I feel the Landy is a luxurious vehicle that is immensely capable and enjoys a loyal following and is a really good vehicle.
    The Nissan Patrol is a far more rugged vehicle and as strong as an ox. It will go just about anywhere and you just don't get stronger or tougher, not even the Cruiser can talk the same language, BUT the 3.0L Turbo diesel was underpowered and could give you grey hairs. The 4,2 diesel was lazy but went just about forever. The 4,5 & 4,8 pertol's are awesome machines but like any large petrol engine are thirsty.
    If I had a choice between the two the Nissan would be at the top (except maybee the 3.0L turbo)
    What about mileage and service records, have the vehicles been used plenty off road etc, there is a lot to look at.

+1 on the petrol Patrols.

Petrol/Diesel, Mileage, intended use, price??
    '99 Discovery 2 Td5 - Gone but not forgotten
    '04 BMW 320d
    '11 Discovery 4 SDV6

It more a matter of taste, both are very capable vehicles.

Are they both Petrol? The petrol Patrol can be very thirsty.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti with RTT (extra luggage space for customers) on Guiding trips.
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal campingEx 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

If money is no object there is only one vehicle: the "tank" Nissan Patrol petrol

Chris.

Dave has answered the question perfectly .

All I can add is as Dave said the 3.0 l diesel turbo was not Nissan's greatest day in the sun , I would stay well away from that one.

Cost of maintenace and servicing should be cheaper on the Patrol.

If condition ,mieage ,and price were the same between the two I would give the Nissan my vote.

As has been said the Nissan is Hardcore , the Landy would be more comfortable.

Nissan first option.
    Especially if you go offroad where service stations are few and far between.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Thanks for all the replies! We have a Discovery 3 (which we already love!) but thought of swopping it for the Patrol 4.8 petrol because the landy's automatic gearbox is giving problems.I went for a test drive in the Patrol and it is a great vehicle with low mileage and it's spotless but sadly we don't have the option anymore because it's been sold to someone else. Now I need new advice: Do you know anyone trustworthy, other than dealers and British 4x4 that we can take the landy to? The transmission oil needs to be changed and we think the gearbox has been severely "injured". Thanks in andvance!

Now you need to move the question to the Landy section.

Quote Originally Posted by janineva View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! We have a Discovery 3 (which we already love!) but thought of swopping it for the Patrol 4.8 petrol because the landy's automatic gearbox is giving problems.I went for a test drive in the Patrol and it is a great vehicle with low mileage and it's spotless but sadly we don't have the option anymore because it's been sold to someone else. Now I need new advice: Do you know anyone trustworthy, other than dealers and British 4x4 that we can take the landy to? The transmission oil needs to be changed and we think the gearbox has been severely "injured". Thanks in andvance!
    Landyworx Check in the Landy section , only good feedback so far
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul