Pajero 3.2 Di-D Torque Converter Lock Up Override

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pajero 3.2 Di-D Torque Converter Lock Up Override

finished my Torque Converter lock up override switch today. Was a bit nerve wrecking as detailed info is not to be found online on the specifics of the mod. I spent hours pouring through wiring diagrams and manuals to learn, study and construct my own loom to get it right.

Got it right with the first test. Must say it's now weird to feel the engine's straight power and the rather funny gear ratio gaps between the gears.

Works like a charm.

DIY to follow if anyone's interested.

Hopefully this helps on fuel consumption and keeps the gearbox oil cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    finished my Torque Converter lock up override switch today. Was a bit nerve wrecking as detailed info is not to be found online on the specifics of the mod. I spent hours pouring through wiring diagrams and manuals to learn, study and construct my own loom to get it right.

Got it right with the first test. Must say it's now weird to feel the engine's straight power and the rather funny gear ratio gaps between the gears.

Works like a charm.

DIY to follow if anyone's interested.

Hopefully this helps on fuel consumption and keeps the gearbox oil cooler.
    Sounds interesting, but I have to wonder if you aren't playing with fire.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    2 V8's a V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

it has been done before.

wholesale automatics do the same thing in Australia but at a cost. About AU$300 for the loom which is basically 2 relays, a resistor and some wiring.

Some Aussies report over 100'000km on the mod with no ill effects.

I know I have done the same as I got a bit of info from the guys who had their pajeros done and one guy sent me some pics but I had to figure out which wire to splice into.

If anything was out of whack the the ecu will instantly throw a code.

http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=42065

There is a bit of reading and feedback from the Aussie Pajero forum and no one has had any issues. A google search also reveals quite a lot of feedback from users.
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum

Marius,

Very interesting and a rather bold move.

Since this is happening overseas, I am happy to believe that it doesn't have (obvious) ill effects.

Logic suggest that you save the little clutch by reducing/eliminating the number of times it engages and disengages during a routine trip. At the same time is there the real possibility that you put much more torque through it than originally designed for.

Or am I completely off the ball here with the function of the little clutch

Yes. There probably will be more torque going through it than normal, however the normal operation by the ecu is an intermittent on off so it always slips every few seconds or so.

The clutch is a multiplate wet clutch and the aussies claim towing with it and only gearing down when the boost falls off and i have yet to hear of any failures in the few years its been done.

I have fresh fluid in the box and im not towing so i feel this may benefit me as my box is approaching 300k km so the clutch packs have seen some work.

My test drive this morning was great. Gave it a boot full in 2nd gear and it just took off like a manual. 1st gear full throttle made all 4 wheels spin on gravel and i quickly had to shift to second. First gear is extremely short!

I must say that the engine braking is much improved but not as much as i thought but i suppose i can acclaim that to the low compression ratio of the 4m41.

A bold move, yes! Definitely. Im still a bit nervous but i havent rushed into this. I have been planning and investigating this mod for over a year. Im confident it will be ok and most of all im hoping i can now approach that magical 10l/100km mark i have been looking for on long trips, as i have exhausted all other options and have come to the conclusion that it must be down to the autobox heat and friction loss for the increased fuel consumption over the manuals. Hopefully i have the best of both now. Ideally i would have preferred if there was a way that it's always unlocked in first and second and always locked in the rest but my electrical knowledge doesnt extend that far. I suspect the newer boxes lock up far more often that the pajeros box and hence the better fuel economy as well.

When locked the autobox still behaves as normal and changes up and down. I thought it might have been jerky but it isn't.

Another thing i always wondered (and still do) is if the electronics cut fuel completely to the engine when coasting with the auto, even though the revs are at about 1200rpm. Now in manual i'm hoping the fuel gets cut completely when coasting equating another saving but on the other hand you wont coast as far.

I have made the wiring connectors in such a way that if something goes amiss i can go back to stock in less than 5 minutes.

The illuminated on off switch and my 12v feed runs through the same fuse so the switch is an indicator of a blown fuse as well to eliminate troubleshooting on the fly.

In the case of the switch being off or the fuse blown the relays's position effectively renders the wiring in stock form.

I'll post the details of the DIY somewhere over the weekend with some pictures. It's actually a very simple and elegant solution.

Sent via iPad & Forum Runner

Ideally i would have preferred if there was a way that it's always unlocked in first and second and always locked in the rest but my electrical knowledge doesnt extend that far.
    What about having it lock up after a specific speed ?? Say, when you reach 60 or 80km/h, then lock up

If this would work, then I can help you with this circuit...
    Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 HP 4x4 D/C
    40mm Body Lift
    Lynx Bashplate
    Metalian Alu Canopy
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    DIY Rocksliders
    My Triton Build Thread

Could you post the example circuit? I doubt id go this route but it would be nice to see how it works.

Very interesting!!! Wonder how it will work on other cars like my V6 Prado. Would like to hear about your fuel consumption figures after you've tested it.
    Pat

Prado 3.4 V6, OME + Spacer lift, Cooper STT, Safari Snorkel, VHF.....
    Buell Xb12Ss

Quote Originally Posted by Die Skim View Post
    Very interesting!!! Wonder how it will work on other cars like my V6 Prado. Would like to hear about your fuel consumption figures after you've tested it.
    I doubt very much the prado's gearbox will be the same system as the pajero but maybe it could be done.

On the pajero I interrupt the signal to the toque converter lockup clutch solenoid. I then either send the standard signal back to the solenoid or I send my own signal and fool the ecu via resistor matched to the inherent resistance of the solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie

I doubt very much the prado's gearbox will be the same system as the pajero but maybe it could be done.

On the pajero I interrupt the signal to the toque converter lockup clutch solenoid. I then either send the standard signal back to the solenoid or I send my own signal and fool the ecu via resistor matched to the inherent resistance of the solenoid.
    So you can switch your conversion in and off as you need it while driving?

My Prado is the old V6 and a little underpowered. Sometimes i need that little slip to get the refs up. Think it might have a negative effect on my "power" in an underpowered car? What do you think?
    Pat

Buell Xb12Ss

Quote Originally Posted by Die Skim View Post
    So you can switch your conversion in and off as you need it while driving?

My Prado is the old V6 and a little underpowered. Sometimes i need that little slip to get the refs up. Think it might have a negative effect on my "power" in an underpowered car? What do you think?
    Yes, I can lock my torque converter at the flick of a switch now.

The gain in revs for extra power may be offset to the loss in power due to slip. I'm not sure but I must say that on my initial test drive the engine feels a lot more lively - it may only be because the throttle response is feels sharper due to the direct coupling of the engine to the gearbox.

Right

This is the schematic I used

NB : The resistor is a ******* ceramic resistor.

This is the flow when the switch is OFF

This is the flow when the switch is ON

My switch - Don't mind the dust - My driveway is 4km gravel so my car tends to be dusty most of the time.

The location of where I spliced in to the wire. It is a yellow wire with thin red line

This is the workshop manual diagram of the solenoid control wiring.

Last edited by MariusFourie; 2012/07/20 at 07:34 AM.

Sorry, double post.

I sometimes must drive it deliberately so that it slips to get refs for power. But I hear you that you would also lose power due to the slip.
    Last edited by Die Skim; 2012/06/08 at 08:37 AM.
    Pat

Buell Xb12Ss

I wish I knew what you guys are talking about..... time to go visit google.

I have been feeling uneasy about that resistor generating a fair amount of heat when the ecu allows 12volt through it. Essentially the ecu acts as ground so if it normally would lock up 12volt will pass through the resistor.

To combat that i have added another relay that will bypass my wiring and render the gearbox in stock form when the ecu wants to use lockup. So essentially when my switch is on and the ecu wants lockup it locks through it's own process but as soon as it unlocks my relays kick in and keeps it locked up.

With the switch off the gearbox wiring is essentially stock.

So the resisitor essentially will never see 12volt but for the split second in relays switching power around. In this method i dont know if the relay is crucial but im leaving it there to avoid the ecu maybe throwing a code.

Taking another test drive today i can clearly see how the slippage in the box wastes fuel. This mod will definitely save me on fuel economy. I will almost put a wager on it.

Another advantage of this manual lockup is you can now pull start the Pajero.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG
    And engine braking when going down obstacles, and you can now idle up obstacles!
    Pat

Buell Xb12Ss

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    didn't even think about that advantage. Thanks!

didn't even think about that advantage. Thanks!
    Sure thing. Just hope you never need to use it in such a way...

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Sure thing. Just hope you never need to use it in such a way...
    Hopefully not anytime soon. It has a new battery and I recently serviced the starter.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=114007

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast