Best Trees to plant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Trees to plant

So I have about 700m2 of open grass and want to start planting some trees for shade in future. Must be indigenous (inheems in Afrikaans, maw local, hoop ek het dit reg) must have a root system that wont lift walls etc and not shed alot of leaves, berries etc.

So far I have :

Wit Stinkhout (only drawback is it is a very slow grower)
    Karee
    Olienhout

Any other suggestions ?
    Edu1 Erasmus
    -Since 1980-

2014 Ford Ranger Wildtrak DC 4x4
    2014 Mercedes Benz C180
    2012 Scott Aspect 30
    2012 Silverback Roadie

Geelhout. Groei ook stadig, maar pragtige boom. Ek het 3 by my
    Defender Puma 130
    Don't follow me, you won't make it!!

Our witstinkhouts drops LOTS of leaves.

How about one or two Pecan nut trees? They grow quite big and give lovely shade in the summer and lets the sun through in the winter. And in the winter you can give lots of nuts to other people as gifts (and eat them if you like them, I dont) and there is always birds in ours and the greyhornbills come in winter and try to eat the nuts. Also loose a lot of leaves though.

Leopard Tree and Fever Tree are both awesome.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Wit Stinkhout is not a slow grower. Actually one of the fastest growers. But shed it's leaves in winter.

Karee very quick grower but very poor root system. Roots does not go very deeo and can lift paving or topple in strong wind.

Try an Essenhout (Ekebergia capensis)
    Oscar Schmidt
    Mitsu Triton 3.2 DiD 4x4

Jip... My parents have about three Pecan Nut trees... they just shed alot of leaves and those peels around the nut itself. Might plant one in my Veg patch
    Edu1 Erasmus
    -Since 1980-

2014 Mercedes Benz C180
    2012 Scott Aspect 30
    2012 Silverback Roadie

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Wit Stinkhout is not a slow grower. Actually one of the fastest growers. But shed it's leaves in winter.

Try an Essenhout (Ekebergia capensis)
    hmmm might have my facts all mixed up. so Wit Stinkhout might be one of the best options except for the leaves ?
    Edu1 Erasmus
    -Since 1980-

2014 Mercedes Benz C180
    2012 Scott Aspect 30
    2012 Silverback Roadie

Another one you can try is a "Kasuur"
    http://www.treeshop.co.za/Pittosporu...Cheesewood.htm
    Oscar Schmidt
    Mitsu Triton 3.2 DiD 4x4

How big do you want to go? Bird and insect friendly?

Olienhout isnt a great shade tree until really big and that takes a while to grow

Which Karee were you looking at.

I'd go for one of the acacia's or perhaps even a boerbean. The birds go mad in mine.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Cape Town Weather and Imagery

I agree, Witstinkhout grows quite quick, one outside my office, root system quite agressive though, in my opinion more so than most acacia. You get some beautiful acacia's quite a few species that offers plenty for animal life, and looks brilliant.

Huilboerboom and Rooi Ivoor are also amongst my recently planted ones.

I was thinking of planting one on the left , about 2 meters from the wall (sun sets on the left) and then one along the back wall, so big enough so one can have a table and chairs underneath etc and maybe enjoy a Sunday afternoon lunch etc. (one day obviously)

Looked at the Rhus lancea Karee, but not sure if it will be high enough to sit under as they are normally used for boundary trees ?

see pics (they are 3 months old, looks alot better now) In the right hand corner is the proposed veggie patch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linksagterbo.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	144773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regsagterbo.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	144774  
    Last edited by NetEddy; 2012/05/04 at 11:48 AM.
    Edu1 Erasmus
    -Since 1980-

2014 Mercedes Benz C180
    2012 Scott Aspect 30
    2012 Silverback Roadie

Hi NetEddy,

You could gain some fast shade initially by planting what is referred to as pioneering trees, interspersed with the slower growing, longer life-span trees.

But follow this link http://www.horsejunction.co.za/discu...?topicID=96576 for a superb list. See the 4th post by Dalgo.

I think the Riverbushwillow that is referred to, translates to Vaderlandswilg.
    Johnie

LR2 i6
    171kW/317Nm/11.77l/100km over
    4yr8mth/112072km

Quote Originally Posted by NetEddy View Post
    I was thinking of planting one on the left , about 2 meters from the wall (sun sets on the left) and then one along the back wall, so big enough so one can have a table and chairs underneath etc and maybe enjoy a Sunday afternoon lunch etc. (one day obviously)

Looked at the Rhus lancea Karee, but not sure if it will be high enough to sit under as they are normally used for boundary trees ?

see pics (they are 3 months old, looks alot better now) In the right hand corner is the proposed veggie patch
    The white Karee is not suitable for this purpose IMO. Too low, and needs constant trimming because it coppices too easily.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Quote Originally Posted by moetbiedjiewegkom View Post
    You get some beautiful acacia's quite a few species that offers plenty for animal life, and looks brilliant.
    The trouble with the Acasia - I think the Karoo will be a bit small for what NetEddy wants to achieve - Robusta is that it grows itself flenters.

I've seen many times how they split down the middle because the top gets too heavy, or leaning on walls to stay upright because they have been planted in filled soil, falling over when the overhang becomes unsymmetrical.

So if one plants these, the symmetry has to be maintained by pruning. Those seasonal yellow flowers are pretty, but I would keep it away from any water-feature type of structure for when they start falling.
    Johnie

LR2 i6
    171kW/317Nm/11.77l/100km over
    4yr8mth/112072km

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    The trouble with the Acasia - I think the Karoo will be a bit small for what NetEddy wants to achieve - Robusta is that it grows itself flenters.

I've seen many times how they split down the middle because the top gets too heavy, or leaning on walls to stay upright because they have been planted in filled soil, falling over when the overhang becomes unsymmetrical.

So if one plants these, the symmetry has to be maintained by pruning. Those seasonal yellow flowers are pretty, but I would keep it away from any water-feature type of structure for when they start falling.
    There are over a dozen Acacia species - many of which can be used for shade and do not lose their shape or require trimming. Agreed that Karoo is not suitable though
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

I've got some 7000m3 that I ned to plant trees on. I am also thinkin of peacan nut trees. I do have some Witstinkhout. Fast growers, but messy this time of year. Got some Karees. But I stumbled upon the 'Bottle Tree'. Indigenous to the Cape, but grow nice and fast with thick shade all year round. Soet doring (think it's Accacia Karoo). Grow fast and birds love it.

Agree with what others said, i planted wit karoo, they grow fast, grow messy and grow themsleves flenters, in the end i started over.
    - had succes with paper bark, jackel berry, fever trees, and lovely wild olive trees (my best), also coral (just check, two species, one flower better)

Kyk ook na die Camferboom - groei stadig maar is nie bladwisselend nie.

Wit stikhout - verloor al sy blare en bessies in die Herfs. Hy groei egter baie vinnig. Binne 2-3 seisoene kan jy in sy koelte sit.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Jy moet besluit of jy 'n immergroen (nie bladwisselend) of blabwisselend wil h. Bome het blare soos honde daai ander goed het. Wit stinkhoude groei baie vinnig, het bessies wat vols lok. My pekanneute groei ook vinnig maar gooi ook blare af. As blare afgooi as mors beskou word sit liewer afdakke op.

All trees lose their leaves, that is how they rid themselves of toxins and other chemicals, deciduous does it in one go while the others keep on falling all year long.
    The indigenous white stinkwoodCeltis africana looks exactly like the Celtis australis, commonly known as the European nettle tree with the exception that the indigenous one has a hairy upperside of the leaf and the invader the bottom. It is a fast grower and could reach 20 m but that would take some time and in your garden you would probably not see more than 12m.

Another deciduous one to look at is the coral tree or as it used to be known kafferboom, it makes a brilliant display of electric orange flowers in spring before the leaves appear and the roots are not aggressive at all. The branches are more corky than woody and other than its annual shed it is a fairly clean tree providing deep shade. It will also grow from a truncheon stuck in the ground so if you have a friend who is planning to prune his ask him for a nice hefty branch an stick it in the ground, it will turn in to a good sized tree next season.

The typical African sight of a flat crowned thorn tree takes a lot to beat and for the area you are in Acacia sieberiana or the paperbark thorn is a great choice, it does not grow as huge as the galpinii and reaches a sensible 12(h) X 16(w) m. The leaves are fine and will drop in to the grass without you noticing it and will not stop or block a pool cleaner.

Speaking of typical African trees how about a marula tree? It will grow quite rapidly at about 1,5m per year with only one small problem the tree is either male or female and only the female tree produces fruit

If you are set against a deciduous tree I would look at the white karee, it grows fast given enough water and with a bit of pruning will provide shade in a few years.

Wat ek wel sou aanraai is om daardie populiere op die oop grond langsaan in te doen, die goed suie tot 600l water per dag en gooi 'n taai gom affre af wat maak dat niks onder of naby hulle wil groei nie. As hulle groot raak breek wind ook gereeld takke af wat karre kan beskadig. Kontak die mislikepaliteit en kyk of hulle sal help. Hulle is as 'n ongewensde indringer spesie verklaar en miskien help hulle dalk net
    Last edited by hbannink; 2012/05/07 at 03:20 AM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for Metalian & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast