2011 Hilux / Fortuner reverse Camera DIY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2011 Hilux / Fortuner reverse Camera DIY

Added some end product pictures;

I’m documenting the wiring diagram to install aftermarket reverse cam on new (2011) Hilux and Fortuner. (Could not get this info anywhere, so I paid to get it done…R3500 L)

The facelift Hilux and Fortuner ships with a 2 din colour display radio, the Heritage models comes with a fitted camera and the non-Heritage models not.

The non-Heritage model radios are reverse camera ready but you need the wiring diagram for these vehicles as the radios does not come with a fitted RCA or any indication as to connect your own camera.

Go buy your own reverse camera, there are a few options and you should find 1 to fit your needs. Note some cameras display as Black&White, something to do with the PAL / NTSC requirements. Mine is colour, it is the Kenwood CMOS 200.

Step1.
    Remove the left kick plate on the passenger side and look for a white wiring plug with red, black, grey and white wires only.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0327.JPG 
Views:	7986 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	144004

Take the reverse camera, cut and strip camera video wire with RCA attached.

Wiring values;
    · Bridge Red and Black (Seems awkward, but this is correct J)
    · White is camera signal wire (Normally yellow on camera wire)
    · Grey is camera screen / ground wire (Screen mesh cable on camera wires)

Step2.

Remove plastic cover under steering colom. (There are a few fuses visible when you remove the cover)
    On the far right plug there is a cable with black/red colours connect this to the reverse signal wire of the camera.

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg 
Views:	3008 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	144005

Supply the camera with Car Acc power + and –
    Test before closing all panels.

The end product;

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	1239 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	145373

Name:	Radio.JPG 
Views:	1601 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	145374

For less reading use this;

Name:	Drawing1.jpg 
Views:	2173 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	144043
    Last edited by Toyota_King; 2012/05/08 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Add more photo's

Thanks very interesting,

Will look to fit to SWAMBO,S 2012 hilux, will really help as she sturggles with the reversing. (and will make hitching the caravan a breeze)

regards Devon

Nice mod! We have reverse camera on the FJ Cruisers, but the picture is in the mirror, so it is a bit small and hitching is still a little difficult. I like the big size of the radio's screen.

Well done and enjoy!

Default reverse camera

Hi

i have connected the camera, but if the vehicle is not in reverse when starting the car, it does not recognize the camera. Once started like that you can go in and out of reverse no issue. The camera i use only have the psos and neg power as well as the video plus and negative. I see you talking about a camera signal, this is what i am missing, any ideas?
    regard

My Mrs loves it so much she actually volunteers to reverse onto the caravan hitch!
    To argue with a person that has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

Default Speaker wires

Maybe the wrong thread but Toyotaa-King seems to know alot about the head unit wiring. I want to connect an amplifier and sub to the existing sound system. What would be the easiest way to tap into the speaker wires without having to remove the door pads to check the wire colours and polarity?
    2011 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Auto (Facelift)
    Previous: 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x2 Auto (Facelift)

Default toyota wires

hi

i have found a lot of info on this website with wiring diagrams, maybe will help

http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-stereo-wiring-diagrams-and-car-radio-wiring-diagrams/

Thanks a mil. After alot of research I have also managed to get all the info on the head unit in the Fortuner. I have now successfully, added a line-out converter, amplifier and sub woofer to the existing system. What an amazing difference in the sound. If anyone needs more detailed info on the installation, feel free to let me know...

Default Awesome Information

Toyota King,

Thank you for this information. I tried it today and worked as described. I just did a test before drilling the camera on to the tailgate to make sure it worked and it did.

I had looked all over the web for this. The local shops said it was not possible.

Best,

Tito

***UPDATE***
    My camera has 4 wires only: 12VDC+, 12VDC-, video signal, video ground.

I powered my camera from a circuit that has 12VDC+ only when reverse is engaged.

Camera only works if I open the ignition switch with the vehicle in reverse. Apparently the HU detects if it gets a video signal on start up. If it does not, it will inhibit switching to monitor input when reverse is engaged.

I am concerned about having the camera powered on all the time if I wire it to acc + ...

I have just ordered a 2nd hand Fortuner (June 2013 with 2,000km ) D4D 4x2 Auto with the reverse camera factory fitted. The camera comes on automatically when engaging reverse but does anyone know if there is a way to engage it manually while driving to keep an eye on a trailer while towing? An installer at Toyota Randburg said the after market ones count do it but wasn't sure if the factory ones could.

Another question I have is the radio comes standard with Bluetooth - can this Bluetooth stream audio from an iPhone or is this just for making calls? The Parrot 9100 in my existing Fortuner can stream audio via Bluetooth but I'm keen to move it to my wife's car if I don't need it in the new Fortuner.

Lastly whats the deal with the Satnav? Toyota are quoting R10k for the maps Would anyone in their right mind pay R10k for this when you can get a brand new Garmin with traffic updates for 1/3 of that.

Quote Originally Posted by marnix View Post
    I have just ordered a 2nd hand Fortuner (June 2013 with 2,000km ) D4D 4x2 Auto with the reverse camera factory fitted. The camera comes on automatically when engaging reverse but does anyone know if there is a way to engage it manually while driving to keep an eye on a trailer while towing? An installer at Toyota Randburg said the after market ones count do it but wasn't sure if the factory ones could.

Another question I have is the radio comes standard with Bluetooth - can this Bluetooth stream audio from an iPhone or is this just for making calls? The Parrot 9100 in my existing Fortuner can stream audio via Bluetooth but I'm keen to move it to my wife's car if I don't need it in the new Fortuner.

Lastly whats the deal with the Satnav? Toyota are quoting R10k for the maps Would anyone in their right mind pay R10k for this when you can get a brand new Garmin with traffic updates for 1/3 of that.

To the best of my knowledge, the camera can not be turned on manually. Bluetooth streaming works perfectly for my Ipad and Galaxy S4 so I don't see a problem with your iPhone. Unlike other bluetooth streaming head units that just allow a simple playback function, this HU also allows you to view playlists etc via bluetooth streaming.

Yes, the SATNAV story is a joke, I'm happy to stick with my Garmin for now.

Lastly... ENJOY!

Thanks sashton. Just to confirm, "Bluetooth streaming works perfectly for my IPad and Galaxy S4" you happily stream music etc from your iPad vis Bluetooth to the Fortuners audio system?

Quote Originally Posted by marnix View Post
    Thanks sashton. Just to confirm, "Bluetooth streaming works perfectly for my IPad and Galaxy S4" you happily stream music etc from your iPad vis Bluetooth to the Fortuners audio system?
    Yes perfectly, Including sound from music, games, movies etc.

I can report that the info from sashton was 100% correct and audio streams beautifully (actually works better than my Parrot 9100 from my previous Fortuner). There doesn't seem to be any sort of mute button tho? Currently i am just turning the radio off which is not really a big deal.

Still want to see if there is a way to activate the rear camera while driving to keep an eye on the trailer tho. Any suggestions?

There is a pause button on the bottom of the touch screen if my memory serves me correct. This could pass as a mute

Regarding the reverse cam. Fitting a switch to view your camera shouldn't be difficult. I had an after market head unit in my previous Tuna and fitted the camera and a switch to view the camera even when reverse was not engaged. Have not fitted the switch on my current Fortuner but I assume the following will have to be done.

1, Basically the camera input is triggered by power to one of the wires behind your head unit. Use a tester and check which wire gets power when reverse is engaged.
    2. What you will want to do now is T off this wire and feed power to it via the switch you want to acitivate to view the camera.
    3. Importantly, in order to prevent your reverse lights from coming on when you turn your camera switch on, you would need to fit a Diode on the camera trigger wire as shown in the diagram.

****** I am assuming that the power to activate the camera input is +12V. Please verify this with a tester before proceeding******

Let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Any ideas of someone who could do this around JHB North (I'm not much of an electrical guy )?

Not from GP but I'm sure any sound installer should know what to do...

Is the current models camera 6v or 12v?, because I was told it is a 6v camera

How would I test it? to see what voltage it is using?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast