Thinking of buying ML270 2000 model

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Thinking of buying ML270 2000 model

Hi all. I'm thinking of buying an ML270 cdi, 2000 model. Please give me some info:

Average open road exonomy?
    What size tyres in 16inch standard mags, or should I buy 17 mags? Would 265-75-16 give me much more ground clearance?
    How do I do the DIY tortion bar mod I read people referring to on the forum? Needs more ground clearance!
    If I service it myself, how do I clear the service interval reminder?

What is your general feel for the ML? Any inherent issues or troubles I should look out for?

Tks

Stay away from pre face lift models (2000-2002, they have lots of issues). Only buy 2003-2004 with the clear lights. Go petrol, the diesel is not that more economical on this model.

ML350-ML55 gives about the same fuel consumption 6-8km/l
    ML270 7-9km/l

Rather go for a post 2003 petrol model.
    --Kar

I owned an ML 270. Cost a bomb to maintain. Lovely car though. I agree about the facelift though.

Look at a petrol.

Quote Originally Posted by munga View Post
    I owned an ML 270. Cost a bomb to maintain. Lovely car though. I agree about the facelift though.

Look at a petrol.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    I have a friend of a friend that gets 12 - 13 km/l on the open road with his ML270, 99 model, and loves his car at 210 000kms.

After lots a research online, I decided to buy an excellent condition ML270 cdi, with 160 000kms. Have put aside quite a lot of shekels for maintenance and repairs as many have warned this car is expensive to maintain.

Did a service on Fri, found a few minor things and are working through them.

Major things that go on these are turbo, injectors, high pressure fuel pump, so am giving these special attention. The injector seals have blow by on 2 cylinders (common issue that can be resolved by changing seal if found early), so will remove all injectors and send in for testing and possible recon/replace. Turbo is also going in for new seals (just precautionary for my peace of mind).

Anyway, I was wondering about the EGR system and cats. I want to lock off the EGR , and remove both cats. Any advice on how to do this? Will the computer throw errors because of cats removed or EGR bloked?

Tks v much.

PS: I actually specifically wanted the pre 2003 shape (w163) because it has both chasis and body (better off road) the w164 onwards have unibody design.

Also, the 270cdi motor in these is the same as found in the sprinter, c-class c270cdi, etc. very popular motor / easy spares and tech advice.

Will be building up the ground clearance to medium-high (std is medium-low IMHO), with bigger wheels and torsion bar adjustment and maybe spacers. This vehicle will be used off road (less than 10% of the time tho).

Yes your usual costly CDI problems apply.

Lovely car on dirt roads and highway cruiser. The front end lift is DIY. Bigger tires will also help ground clearence.

One issue I had on mine was the fuel preheater cracked spilling a tank of diesel over about 100km. You could remove this if it happens and just have some bypass pipes made up.

I never got around to removing CATs and EGR. You will need to have the ECU remapped.

Good luck!

Yes your usual costly CDI problems apply.

Lovely car on dirt roads and highway cruiser. The front end lift is DIY. Bigger tires will also help ground clearence.

One issue I had on mine was the fuel preheater cracked spilling a tank of diesel over about 100km. You could remove this if it happens and just have some bypass pipes made up.

I never got around to removing CATs and EGR. You will need to have the ECU remapped.

Good luck!
    Any idea where and how to have ECU remapped?

Is the fuel preheater not necessary? If you can just bypass it...

I have a borrowed / test set of bigger tires on now, 235-85-16 BFG T/A's (805mm OD), and standard is 225-75-16 (745mm OD), so a raise of 30mm just by changing tyre size. Will add spacers for a further 25mm or so, and monitor fuel consumption closely. I want more ground clearance, but fuel consumption must NOT get out of control.

UPDATE: I have now been told (on another forum), that the max size that fits on an ML is 285-70-17 (diameter: 830mm / width: 285mm).

I have 16 inch, so I can likely go up to 305-70-16 at max (diameter: 830 / width 305mm), but may just touch because of width. I also think the fuel consumption may get quite bad with these tires, and brake wear, etc will be more.

Depending on price:

My first choice now will likely be 265-70-16 (diameter: 777mm / width: 265mm), depending on price.

Second choice will likely be 245-70-16 (diameter: 749mm / width: 245mm). But this is not much different to the OEM size with is 225-75-16 (diameter: 743mm / width 225mm ).

Third choice will be 235-85-16 (diameter: 805mm / width: 235mm ). This offer the best height, with least change in width, but are quite a bit more expensive as the more popular options (above). Also, if I need to replace a tyre in a small town, they are not likely to have this size in stock. I currently have these on the car right now, and if they perform well and give good fuel consumption, then I will possibly go for this size (rather go for what you know).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGore View Post
    PS: I actually specifically wanted the pre 2003 shape (w163) because it has both chasis and body (better off road) the w164 onwards have unibody design.
    Are you referring to ladder suspension? All W163 models has ladder suspension and low range. W164 models, were only introduced 2005 and have the unibody design.

I am also looking at fitting some other tyres, currently looking at 265/65/17, seems to be a very common tyre
    --Kar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGore
    UPDATE: I have now been told (on another forum), that the max size that fits on an ML is 285-70-17 (diameter: 830mm / width: 285mm).

I have 16 inch, so I can likely go up to 305-70-16 at max (diameter: 830 / width 305mm), but may just touch because of width. I also think the fuel consumption may get quite bad with these tires, and brake wear, etc will be more.

Depending on price:

My first choice now will likely be 265-70-16 (diameter: 777mm / width: 265mm), depending on price.

Second choice will likely be 245-70-16 (diameter: 749mm / width: 245mm). But this is not much different to the OEM size with is 225-75-16 (diameter: 743mm / width 225mm ).

Third choice will be 235-85-16 (diameter: 805mm / width: 235mm ). This offer the best height, with least change in width, but are quite a bit more expensive as the more popular options (above). Also, if I need to replace a tyre in a small town, they are not likely to have this size in stock. I currently have these on the car right now, and if they perform well and give good fuel consumption, then I will possibly go for this size (rather go for what you know).
    ECU remapping can be done by those dyno guys I imagine.

Choose a common tyre size that will give you some lift. Think hilux or defender size. See what works best. This will be a help when you are in the bundu and you have an ML marie. Get a rear mount full size if you can and replace the Marie with a aux fuel tank.

Wide tyres are not the best offroad. Only sand and snow do you get the win. That is another debate and a long one. Dont go too big and end up with rubbing.

The ML 163 are all body on ladder chassis like the more hardcore offroaders.

The preheater is for colder climates so the fuel is injected in the rail at engine temperature. I am keen on originality so would replace it if it broke again. Only thing is it aluminum so not an easy fix and they cost 2.5k last I checked. I managed to fix mine in the Kalagadi with mampoer and pratleys quick steel. Did many kms like that and sold the car with that fix. I have never seen anyone comment so I think it was an isolated case.

Remember the ML will never be hardcore rockcrawler so if that is what you want get a jeep rather.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGore

Any idea where and how to have ECU remapped?

Is the fuel preheater not necessary? If you can just bypass it...

I have a borrowed / test set of bigger tires on now, 235-85-16 BFG T/A's (805mm OD), and standard is 225-75-16 (745mm OD), so a raise of 30mm just by changing tyre size. Will add spacers for a further 25mm or so, and monitor fuel consumption closely. I want more ground clearance, but fuel consumption must NOT get out of control.
    Just remember the fuel consumption should be calculated using your GPS and not the odo as it will be out.

Also never believe the computer consumption... That thing lies through its teeth even on stock wheels.

11 to 13l/100km is realistic. Keep the speed down and you can get below 10.
    Last edited by munga; 2012/05/03 at 11:53 PM.

Hi, know my stepdad had lots of electrical problems with his. Think it was a 99 model. Landrover Defenders use the 235/85/16 tyre. Really works well offroad. They are however not cheap. Have a look at the Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA or at Hankook and Khumo. General also makes that size. My Dads Puma came with them and he has now done 100 000km's with them. They are however done.

Default ML Torsion bar adjustment

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_torsion.html

For any ML entusiast, Wolfgang's ML Page has more info than one could want.

From tyre sizes - how big will fit, a report on successful Dakar completion with a stock standard ML with only a tyre change, different spring options - and who makes them, lift kits, how it compares with the Gelandewagen, you name it.

What makes it especially good, is that every aspect discussed, has a link to the source, if you would rather read it from the horses mouth - or are ready to order.

Start here: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/
    Johnie

LR2 i6
    171kW/317Nm/11.77l/100km over
    4yr8mth/112072km

Thanks for the input guys.
    I have a friend of a friend that gets 12 - 13 km/l on the open road with his ML270, 99 model, and loves his car at 210 000kms.

After lots a research online, I decided to buy an excellent condition ML270 cdi, with 160 000kms. Have put aside quite a lot of shekels for maintenance and repairs as many have warned this car is expensive to maintain.

Did a service on Fri, found a few minor things and are working through them.

Major things that go on these are turbo, injectors, high pressure fuel pump, so am giving these special attention. The injector seals have blow by on 2 cylinders (common issue that can be resolved by changing seal if found early), so will remove all injectors and send in for testing and possible recon/replace. Turbo is also going in for new seals (just precautionary for my peace of mind).

Anyway, I was wondering about the EGR system and cats. I want to lock off the EGR , and remove both cats. Any advice on how to do this? Will the computer throw errors because of cats removed or EGR bloked?

Tks v much.
    Show us some pics of your ML John congrats on the new wheels take it for an outing you will be surprised what the ML is capable of just remember to switch
    the ESP of when you are off roading.
    Petrus

4x4 AG 0081

1998 Jeep Cherokee Country XJ 2.5Td

2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 GD-6 RB Beauty Die elke dag moms taxi
    2010 CitroŽn C1 Midget Die leerling sin

ONE LIFE LIVE AND ENJOY IT!

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Bedinges View Post
    Show us some pics of your ML John congrats on the new wheels take it for an outing you will be surprised what the ML is capable of just remember to switch
    Hi again all. Sorry for the slow response. In have been posting on many forums, and for some reason did not get the email when people replied to this thread, and only checked back now (yes, I have subscribed to thread with email updates).

Anyways, will post a pic shortly. Im currently away (with another car) for a few days, and am having 3 injectors done while Im away. Hopefully will all be good to go by the time I get back.

Hi again all. Sorry for the slow response. In have been posting on many forums, and for some reason did not get the email when people replied to this thread, and only checked back now (yes, I have subscribed to thread with email updates).

Anyways, will post a pic shortly. Im currently away (with another car) for a few days, and am having 3 injectors done while Im away. Hopefully will all be good to go by the time I get back.
    Jip they need tlc now and then.But they good vehicles if got mine nine months now and it just went over 150 000km and still going strong.

I do have the V8 a bit heavy on fuel but the power makes up for that.
    Petrus

4x4 AG 0081

Just remember the fuel consumption should be calculated using your GPS and not the odo as it will be out.

Also never believe the computer consumption... That thing lies through its teeth even on stock wheels.
    I agree, speedo & odo will read out with the bigger tires. I have only driven about 6km with the bigger tires on, so I can not say how far off the speedo reads now (should be 8% too slow on speedo).

I have ordered a MB Star C3 system, and hope to be able to self diagnose most problems using this. Also, should be able to calibrate the speedo to read correctly

Computer consumption - I never trust those computerized consumption displays. But its nice to give a rough idea if you are using a lot or a little (which a seasoned driver will know anyway, no need for a little display).

11 to 13l/100km is realistic. Keep the speed down and you can get below 10.
    Ouch! That sounds very bad! From my research the ML270 should give 7.7 l/100km on the highway with cruise control at 120kmph.

I drove my one in heavy traffic, and "raced it" every chance I got between lights and through traffic (not buy racer speed, but tested out the power. Really not economical driving) and I got 10.5km/l in an 85km drive. Calculated by filling up tank to max before and after the trip. So it should easily live up to the claim of 12.5km/l (8 l/100km).

With bigger wheels that will drop of course, and the speedo/odo will read out by 8%. So I need to factor in the incorrect speedo to calculate a more accurate fuel consumption. And of course do a few samples over a full tank of diesel (73 liters usable range with 10 reserve). I am still confident I will easily get 11km/l even with the bigger wheels and AT tread. (but I really do not know at this time, need to test still).

even 11l/100km is good for an ML diesel or petrol doesn't matter.

Mine is an overall average of 15.3l/100km in traffic it goes up to 18l/100km
    My best on the open road was 12.8l/100km at speed of 100km/h
    Petrus

4x4 AG 0081

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Bedinges View Post
    Thanks 4x4 Bedinges!

I look forward to testing it off road, but not until I get the ride height sorted. It is very low standard (book says 200mm clearance, but looks lower to my eye. Want at least 250mm before I try any off roading).

Here is a pic of how it looked just after I fitted a borrowed set of BFG T/A's , size 235-85-16 (805mm diameter vs the standard 743mm = 62mm = 31mm lift).

Very poor light, but you get the idea. Still needs another 20mm or 40mm lift IMHO.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast