Another Steed 5 on the roads

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Another Steed 5 on the roads

hi,

am the proud owner of a brand new steed 5, d/c, 2.5, 4x4
    so far am very impressed with this vehicle. i will try and post as much info as i can over time to add to the collective pool of knowledge and experience there is so far.

first half a tank was spent on towing a boat in heavy wind and 120km/h. fuel economy was 8km/l. next tank was unladen, under mixed driving conditions which returned 10km/l

from someone who is used to achieving much better figures from a jap sedan, i was worried this might not be a good figure.

seems 10km/l is actually not too bad from what i've been told.

so far i can't fault this chinese truck. it's solid, all the bits and pieces everywhere, inside and out are well made, rattle free. steering is light and precise, all the switchgear is good. lights are good. sound system is good. long may this last

cheers

Wish you happy motoring in your new Steed

Sooooooo.....Snakey, ek sien jy het hom gekoop!! Al n biekie ge 4x4? Gee meer opinie oor die outjie man!

Ok snakey what extras you got on the thing?
    Have you done the front lift yet?
    4x4 action group
    Walter GP0050
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za
    steed 5 porrastreme
    Front bumper|Rear bumper|wheel carrier |rock sliders|full under body protection|snorkel|draw system (oom sarel)|full EFS suspension|2 inch body lift|smash and grab|LED spots|canopy|Front runner roof rack

Quote Originally Posted by gualter View Post
    Ok snakey what extras you got on the thing?
    Have you done the front lift yet?
    hi gualter,

the only extras i have is a beekman canopy, the top of the range. very nice, stylish canopy, really suits the beast. have had tow bar fitted and the bin has been rubberised. want to get a bit of tinting done as well, especially the canopy.

they offered to lift the front free of charge which has been done. a minor lift, something to do with torsion beams or something. i'm not very mechanically fluent so forgive my terminology. they also made sure to change the EU engine settings to give it more power, from 85kw to 101kw so they say. i trust this has been done, i hope.

Jy's lucky dat hulle die ecu ge-remap het!

Quote Originally Posted by LouisXander View Post
    Sooooooo.....Snakey, ek sien jy het hom gekoop!! Al n biekie ge 4x4? Gee meer opinie oor die outjie man!
    hi louisxander,

yes, put on 2000km so far. nothing ill to report at the moment. she goes very well. you can cruise at 130km-140km quite easily. getting good economy as well.

what has impressed me so far is the steering. it is well weighted and very precise. the aircon is very effective, the cabin lighting is good and the sound system is great. engine noise is also low, especially at freeway speeds which means the sound system accoustics are quite good.

the standard savero tyres seem to be fine as well. i am fussy about tyres and don't like unknown brands, but so far these savero's are performing without any problems that i can detect.

the brakes were weak in the beginning, but they were brand new, they are biting now with a lot less effort on my side.

the ride is good and the seats are as comfortable as any other bakkie i've ever been in. i drive with a very light load most of the time, and with brand new rubber the ride is just like any other bakkie. those with more experience with other brands have made comments like the rear suspension is harsh, but, wtf, it is a bakkie. all bakkies are hard compared to cars.

i went to the katberg last weekend and drove the dirt road to the hotel. the road was in bad condition and the steed took it easily in it's stride. road holding is very good on tar and dirt.

overall i can't pinpoint any particular weakness or glaring fault. i know it's early days, but touch wood, this vehicle feels like it has been well put together. nothing rattling, shuddering, knocking etc.... so far

on the fly 4x4 from 2h to 4h is awesome. manual locking is so yesterday man!

the value this vehicle presents is brilliant.
    double cab. 2.5tci engine. 4x4. exec canopy. towbar. bin rubberizing. leather seats. two airbags. a/c. power steering. remote radio controls. ebd. abs. auto locking doors on pullaway. power windows front and back. good stowage space for odds and ends. two power sockets in cabin. lockable glove compartment. fog lights front and back. adjustable beams. adjustable steering wheel (height only), reading lights in cabin, front and back

all for only 243k
    Last edited by SnakeyXT; 2012/04/25 at 03:45 PM.

I am glad you brought up this fact about kw on of the engin,i am as well a steed 5 4x4 2.5 tci owner .i have had mine about a month .the kw output of the motor according to the vechicle manufactures disk plate on the engin is ment to be 80 kw output.i had my steed tested on dynomachine
    and the kw output rating is not the same as they say it is .72 kw output
    it performs according to the dynomachine test done.if you have achieved
    the output that you say you have .what did you have done and where
    because the agents say that the vehicles are correct but,i want to prove them wrong all steed owners that these steeds sre all under power regarding the kw that they must or can produce.

Quote Originally Posted by steed View Post
    I am glad you brought up this fact about kw on of the engin,i am as well a steed 5 4x4 2.5 tci owner .i have had mine about a month .the kw output of the motor according to the vechicle manufactures disk plate on the engin is ment to be 80 kw output.i had my steed tested on dynomachine
    and the kw output rating is not the same as they say it is .72 kw output
    it performs according to the dynomachine test done.if you have achieved
    the output that you say you have .what did you have done and where
    because the agents say that the vehicles are correct but,i want to prove them wrong all steed owners that these steeds sre all under power regarding the kw that they must or can produce.
    i am repeating what the sales guy told me. i have no idea if my vehicle actually has the 101kw they say they have given it. i would like to dyno mine one day. but, to be honest, i'm happy with the performance regardless, it goes fine imo.

i learnt over the years after driving many cars, you can't judge a vehicle only on the paper stats. real life driving often discredits such stats. my previous vehicle was a civic 1.8 this civic wasn't impressive in the kw department, but it could hop more than you'd think the stats would allow for!

Good to see the steeds are doing well out there
    I drove mine today on gravel roads about 80 km at speeds up to 100km/h and she did just fine
    4x4 action group
    Walter GP0050
    www.gwm4x4club.co.za
    steed 5 porrastreme
    Front bumper|Rear bumper|wheel carrier |rock sliders|full under body protection|snorkel|draw system (oom sarel)|full EFS suspension|2 inch body lift|smash and grab|LED spots|canopy|Front runner roof rack

I wouldn't believe anything the dealer says. Heard lots of stories, plus bad running with them. They have a bad Reputation here.

Anyway, i have the 2010 steed 2.4, I love the vehicle to bits, except for the poor fuel consumption. Enjoy your Steed.
    2010 2.4 Steed (Charlie)

Congrats on the Steed! Happy motoring!

On the Hp and Dyno comment.
    Remember all manufacturers rated peak power killowatt is rated on the engine where the actuall Dyno reads power at the wheels. On a new car there will be about 5 to 10kw loss from engine power output rating to wheels. Snakey's engine power with the remap might have gained the 20odd killowatt as they say, but will be about 90 - 95kw at the wheels on a Dyno.
    Previous:
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7

Unhappy GWM Steed 5 4x4 DC

Hi Snakey,
    I took delivery of a Brand New Steed 5 4x4 DC on Tuesday 24 April 2012, very impressed after driving a Isuzu KB 320 4x4 DC with over 534000km on the clock to which I get cleaned up and sell it, On Friday morning hitched up my 4x4x trailer headed for a camping weekend, just past Menlyn with 260km on the clock my bad experience, loud noise and no power heavy black smoke, I stopped to could not find anything from the eye, every one was closed so I drove back to Centurion.
    Took my Isuzu and enjoyed my camping weekend.
    Today on closer inspection I found that the from the Intercooler to the manufauld had come off having replaced this all seems ok, I have taken it in to the garage for a check up to ensure that no other damage has been caused, I hope to get it back with no further problems and enjoy as per your success.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Jar
    Hi Snakey,
    I took delivery of a Brand New Steed 5 4x4 DC on Tuesday 24 April 2012, very impressed after driving a Isuzu KB 320 4x4 DC with over 534000km on the clock to which I get cleaned up and sell it, On Friday morning hitched up my 4x4x trailer headed for a camping weekend, just past Menlyn with 260km on the clock my bad experience, loud noise and no power heavy black smoke, I stopped to could not find anything from the eye, every one was closed so I drove back to Centurion.
    Today on closer inspection I found that the from the Intercooler to the manufauld had come off having replaced this all seems ok, I have taken it in to the garage for a check up to ensure that no other damage has been caused, I hope to get it back with no further problems and enjoy as per your success.
    hi night jar,

i had a similar type of experience years ago with my brand new hardbody 2.4

was towing a boat on the freeway when all of a sudden the vehicle started overheating badly and piles of "smoke" were coming out the bonnet

it turned out to be the radiater tank had split on it's seam.

it was replaced under warranty and the nissan never missed a beat for 120000km

this kind of thing is part and parcel of all things that made in large numbers in a factory :-)

hope you have no more probs

Quote Originally Posted by Night Jar View Post
    Hi Snakey,
    Turbo hose thread

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=103760

Riaan
    Riaan
    GWM Steed DC 2.8 TCi - Dastek

yikes!

must check with dealership

thanks riaan

nice, just got 12.79 km/l on my last tank.

Sien ek jou by die EC Bash?

yep. most likely to visit on the saturday, maybe camp the night. not sure though

took my steed 5 to the dealer to check up on the pipe from the turbo. fortunately mine had been modified by the dealership before i bought it

so far so good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast