Amarok clutch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Amarok clutch?

Default Amarok clutch?

I am a bit concerned after reading the Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion S/C tow test in the latest Caravan and O/L. They complain about a notchy gearshift an a clutch that is taking to low.
    To me the clutch that is taking to low could also be the reason for the notchy gear changes. How could VW supply a test vehicle with a problem like that? Surely it is just a matter of adjustment, or not? That is what I like to know. Both these symptoms could end up in expensive clutch/gearbox repairs.
    Any Amarok owner with similar experience and could it be resolved?
    Last edited by Johan; 2012/04/05 at 07:54 AM.
    Johan van Niekerk. I can't spell and my grammar sucks, so deal with it!
    2010 Jeep G/C 5.7 V V T Hemi Overland
    2007 Xplorerhttp://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

For the first 1000km the Amarok's clutch and gearbox felt a little strange to me. But soon after that, it seems to be worn in, and gets much better. So I don't think there is a problem with it. Gear changes are smooth and snappy and the clutch is for me like any other VW's!

2011 VW Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion
    2011 VW Polo 1.6 Comfort

Ok let me predict the answer: no there is nothing wrong with the clutch, it is the newest technology available on the market and way in front of the competion, do not listen to all the naysayers they don't know what they are talking about, well something like that:-)
    Nissan Qashqai
    Series 3 Landy
    Land Cruiser 4.2D work

I drive one, Kgopa, I think I would know.

2011 VW Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion
    2011 VW Polo 1.6 Comfort

When I drove FIL's Amarok I also felt the clutch and gearchange to be extremely notchy.
    But, I soon got used to it and just adjusted the way I change gears a bit.
    Felt smooth and light.
    Disco 2 TD5
    KTM 990 Adv

getting feedback from a vehicle that gets abused by journalists is the last thing I'd take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kgopa View Post
    Ok let me predict the answer: no there is nothing wrong with the clutch, it is the newest technology available on the market and way in front of the competion, do not listen to all the naysayers they don't know what they are talking about, well something like that:-)
    Eish - what is your problem, boet! You never have anything of value to say here on the Amarok threads - just negative remarks and critisism?
    Bite off more than you can chew - then chew!

Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    Eish - what is your problem, boet! You never have anything of value to say here on the Amarok threads - just negative remarks and critisism?
    Very weird that a LR oak visits the Amarok side... Maybe he wants to buy one but is too afraid to come out of the closet...
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Very weird that a LR oak visits the Amarok side... Maybe he wants to buy one but is too afraid to come out of the closet...
    Why do you brand him as a LR oke, and not a Toyota or Honda one?

Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Jaguar XF

Ek het nou al van beter geleer. Ek sit deesdae maar op my hande.
    Pieter Swart.
    2011 Amarok Bi Turbo 4 Motion
    Julle ouens wat dink julle weet alles maak ons ouens wat alles weet die donner in!!!
    Dis 'n manne ding! As Swambo saamgaan kos dit twee maal so veel en dis net die helfte so lekker!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    I am a bit concerned after reading the Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion S/C tow test in the latest Caravan and O/L. They complain about a notchy gearshift an a clutch that is taking to low.
    To me the clutch that is taking to low could also be the reason for the notchy gear changes. How could VW supply a test vehicle with a problem like that? Surely it is just a matter of adjustment, or not? That is what I like to know. Both these symptoms could end up in expensive clutch/gearbox repairs.
    Any Amarok owner with similar experience and could it be resolved?
    Johan, come and join us on 20 or 21 April at Sandwani. You are welcome to take my Rok for a test drive and put it through its paces in off road. Then you decide for yourself!
    Pieter Swart.
    Julle ouens wat dink julle weet alles maak ons ouens wat alles weet die donner in!!!
    Dis 'n manne ding! As Swambo saamgaan kos dit twee maal so veel en dis net die helfte so lekker!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KEKPIET View Post
    Ek het nou al van beter geleer. Ek sit deesdae maar op my hande.
    Kekpiet dit is nou net hier waar die laaste lyn in jou Avatar in werking kom

Ryno Black

my new ranger 2.2 clutch also takes quite low and the gear shift is notchy. it is easing up now that i have done around 3000km in it and i love that close notchy feel in the gear shift..makes me think it must be what a race car feels like ;-)

[QUOTE=KEKPIET;1106481]Johan, come and join us on 20 or 21 April at Sandwani. You are welcome to take my Rok for a test drive and put it through its paces in off road. Then you decide for yourself![/QUOTE

Thanks for the invite, unfortunately I wont be able to make it, I believe you guys, and my intention was by no means to badmouth the Amarok in any way, it is just that the people that tested it mentioned the problem several times, they even stated that some of their personnel stalled the vehicle on pull off. We all know that a clutch that take to low probably don't release completely, and therefore can result in a notchy gearshift. We also know that it is usually a simple adjustment, hence my question why did VW let them test the bakkie with this problem.
    I was just curious if this is a general problem and if it can be adjusted, or just a once off.
    Johan van Niekerk. I can't spell and my grammar sucks, so deal with it!
    2010 Jeep G/C 5.7 V V T Hemi Overland
    2007 Xplorerhttp://www.fuelly.com/dashboard/

Johan, it take some time to get use to it, and the gearshift is notchy until it is run in. Then the clutch and shift is as smooth as a nice pair of boobs.
    Pieter Swart.

it is just that the people that tested it mentioned the problem several times, they even stated that some of their personnel stalled the vehicle on pull off. We all know that a clutch that take to low probably don't release completely, and therefore can result in a notchy gearshift. We also know that it is usually a simple adjustment, hence my question why did VW let them test the bakkie with this problem.
    I was just curious if this is a general problem and if it can be adjusted, or just a once off.[/QUOTE]

Johan

The Amarok is fitted with hill assist.
    When pulling away uphill it takes 2 seconds to release.
    If not use to it you will stall your vehicle.
    Nothing wrong with the clutch you need to get use to it thats all.

Ryno Black

What is wrong with the clutch ... I drove Ryno's car and without even thinking of this whole clutch story had not a single issue, maybe if you release it like a ..... okay dont go there

Trust me, getting out of my old Landy and into the Amarok.. I nearly sent it straight through the garage wall! hehe

FIL's one is a bit notchy. The gearchange is a bit different to other vehicles I have driven. But its not really that bad.
    The pull away is probably the most noticeable, but you quickly adjust the way you clutch control
    Disco 2 TD5
    KTM 990 Adv

The Amarok's clutch is different to most other car's clutches I have driven. It does take some getting used to. The notchy gearbox does become noticeably less notchy within the first few thousand km. Something a journalist driving a new test vehicle would not know.
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Quote Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
    First off I am not your boet. Just like you I don't own an Amarok but just like you I can air an opinion be it positive or negative, thats what forums are there for, to get an opinion from different people, someone buying an Amarok would like to know the gears are notchy and the clutch feel different, they would also like to know that Vw is always at the bottom half of JD power surveys etc. I owned three VW and two of them left me stranded next to the road so I have experience of the brand and the dealers and the spare prices. My first post was in good spirit thats why I put a smiley behind it, its an observation I made in all the Amarok threads.
    Last edited by FDVisser; 2012/04/05 at 05:55 PM.
    Nissan Qashqai
    Series 3 Landy
    Land Cruiser 4.2D work

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast