Waeco Poly Fuse Problem - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Same here! Ju;ius in Cape Town went out of his way to help me on Monday and to replace the fuse in one day. Coming home, it seems to be better, but dies after a few minutes. The battery in the Sani is three months old. I had it on charge overnight and will test it again today.
    Danie Gerryts
    NSRI Station 31

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    1995 Isuzu 2.5 4X4

Hi JayKay,

How did Safari Centre test the voltage drop? While the fridge was running or with some equivalent load on the wires? If it was tested with no load, the test is not valid. With no load there should be no voltage drop possible. You need current to flow before there can be a voltage drop.The voltage drop is the product of the resistance of the wire and the amount of current flowing through it.

John

Default WAECO Fridge Trouble Shooting

I've had my WAECO CF50 fridge/freezer since 2005 and have had excellent service from it, sometimes having to operate under severe conditions. Initially I also had voltdrop problems but resolved this by installing the correct sized wiring.

Below is some additional information that I received from WAECO that you may find useful.

Waeco Fridge Trouble Shooting

ERROR Light Flashes
    Each flash will occur for 1/4 second. After the actual number of flashes, there will be a delay with no flashes, so that the sequence for each error recording is repeated every 5 seconds.

One Flash
    If the error light on your fridge flashes once every 5 seconds, it is definitely indicating that you have a voltage drop problem. This means that the wiring in your car may be inadequate to carry the correct amount of volts to the fridge.

To test if this is the problem, plug the fridge into a suitable AC adaptor. If you find that the fridge works, you can eliminate that there is a problem with the fridge and the car wiring configuration or plug connections should be stringently checked.

Can be caused by insufficient cable size, too many connections, poor connections or not having a designated fridge output with own direct circuit to the battery.
    We recommend car/motorhome/caravan wiring to be a minimum of 6-8mm cross section wire for up to 4 metres. Above this length the wiring would need an extra millimetre for every metre.

If the fridge does not work on the correct Waeco AC Adaptor, further investigation is required. Contact Waeco if this occurs.

Two Flashes - Fan over current cutout
    If the fan circuit in the control module has a load in excess of 0.5 Amps, the system will fail.

Three Flashes - Motor Start Error
    If your error light is flashing three times every 5 seconds, the rotor may be blocked or the differential pressure in the refrigeration system is too high.
    Faulty compressor or faulty control module.

Four Flashes - Minimum Motor Speed Error
    This failure occurs if the compressor is running slower than 1850 rpm.

Five Flashes - Thermal cut-out of electronic unit
    If the error light is flashing five times every 5 seconds, the refrigeration system has been too heavily loaded, or if the surrounding temperature is high, the electronics will run too hot. This is generally caused by not allowing enough ventilation around the vents of your fridge. To overcome this, simply ventilate your fridge more effectively

I do not want to hi-jack this thread but I have a related problem. I have a 22L Snomaster for about 3 years. It has a Danfoss compressor and runs happily from any of the power outlets in the Pajero, engine running or switched off.

About 2 weeks ago I got an Indel B 45L unit, also with a Danfoss compressor. Last week we did a quick 2 day trip to thr Robertson area. With the engine swithed off the LED will light up but the compressor will not start. With the engine running it performs faultlessly, actually running more quiet than the Snomaster.

Will heavier cables from the battery solve my problem and what plug must I fit? Any advice will be much appreciated.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Default Varta Battery Warranty

I have fully charged my Varta D41 80Ah battery using my new fancy CTEK charger after taking it out of the car. Connecting to the fridge using a very short cable (less than .5m) it still does not run. Although it reads 12.4 volts, the voltage drops down to 8.1 volts when the compressor starts causing the fridge to cut out.

I suspect the battery is shot. It is only 18 months old. Does anyone know what the warranty is on a Varta Battery?
    ----------------------------------------------
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB
    OME suspension, Geolander G12 tyres, NL dual battery system, Windcheater roof rack, Mellville & Moon seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBSD_Dude View Post
    Hi JayKay,

How did Safari Centre test the voltage drop? While the fridge was running or with some equivalent load on the wires? If it was tested with no load, the test is not valid. With no load there should be no voltage drop possible. You need current to flow before there can be a voltage drop.The voltage drop is the product of the resistance of the wire and the amount of current flowing through it.

John
    They just measured the voltage at the battery in front and then at the Hella plug in the rear.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB
    OME suspension, Geolander G12 tyres, NL dual battery system, Windcheater roof rack, Mellville & Moon seat covers

Very usefull. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    I've had my WAECO CF50 fridge/freezer since 2005 and have had excellent service from it, sometimes having to operate under severe conditions. Initially I also had voltdrop problems but resolved this by installing the correct sized wiring.

Below is some additional information that I received from WAECO that you may find useful.

Waeco Fridge Trouble Shooting

ERROR Light Flashes
    Each flash will occur for 1/4 second. After the actual number of flashes, there will be a delay with no flashes, so that the sequence for each error recording is repeated every 5 seconds.

One Flash
    If the error light on your fridge flashes once every 5 seconds, it is definitely indicating that you have a voltage drop problem. This means that the wiring in your car may be inadequate to carry the correct amount of volts to the fridge.

To test if this is the problem, plug the fridge into a suitable AC adaptor. If you find that the fridge works, you can eliminate that there is a problem with the fridge and the car wiring configuration or plug connections should be stringently checked.

Can be caused by insufficient cable size, too many connections, poor connections or not having a designated fridge output with own direct circuit to the battery.
    We recommend car/motorhome/caravan wiring to be a minimum of 6-8mm cross section wire for up to 4 metres. Above this length the wiring would need an extra millimetre for every metre.

If the fridge does not work on the correct Waeco AC Adaptor, further investigation is required. Contact Waeco if this occurs.

Two Flashes - Fan over current cutout
    If the fan circuit in the control module has a load in excess of 0.5 Amps, the system will fail.

Three Flashes - Motor Start Error
    If your error light is flashing three times every 5 seconds, the rotor may be blocked or the differential pressure in the refrigeration system is too high.
    Faulty compressor or faulty control module.

Four Flashes - Minimum Motor Speed Error
    This failure occurs if the compressor is running slower than 1850 rpm.

Five Flashes - Thermal cut-out of electronic unit
    If the error light is flashing five times every 5 seconds, the refrigeration system has been too heavily loaded, or if the surrounding temperature is high, the electronics will run too hot. This is generally caused by not allowing enough ventilation around the vents of your fridge. To overcome this, simply ventilate your fridge more effectively
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Quote Originally Posted by JayKay View Post
    I have fully charged my Varta D41 80Ah battery using my new fancy CTEK charger after taking it out of the car. Connecting to the fridge using a very short cable (less than .5m) it still does not run. Although it reads 12.4 volts, the voltage drops down to 8.1 volts when the compressor starts causing the fridge to cut out.
    I suspect the battery is shot. It is only 18 months old. Does anyone know what the warranty is on a Varta Battery?
    Warranty on a Varta is 2 years AFAIK.
    Andre Botha

The problem you have is exactly what my Waeco does.

Safari Centre say they installed 4mm cable to the back of the Pajero and fitted Hella plugs. The cable seems a bit thicker to me though. Common wisdom seems to be that you need 6-8mm cable. The thing is my fridge does the same directly connected with short cables. Perhaps you want to do that check first before you change cables. It could be your battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I do not want to hi-jack this thread but I have a related problem. I have a 22L Snomaster for about 3 years. It has a Danfoss compressor and runs happily from any of the power outlets in the Pajero, engine running or switched off.

About 2 weeks ago I got an Indel B 45L unit, also with a Danfoss compressor. Last week we did a quick 2 day trip to thr Robertson area. With the engine swithed off the LED will light up but the compressor will not start. With the engine running it performs faultlessly, actually running more quiet than the Snomaster.

Will heavier cables from the battery solve my problem and what plug must I fit? Any advice will be much appreciated.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Took my battery in to Deltec in Paarden Eiland. It does seem to be faulty as the tester said "Replace", but they asked me to leave it with them. The model I have is no longer being made, so a direct replacement is not possible. I guess it's a money issue now. Will wait for Wednesday to see what pans out.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Quote Originally Posted by JayKay View Post
    The problem you have is exactly what my Waeco does.
    Safari Centre say they installed 4mm cable to the back of the Pajero and fitted Hella plugs. The cable seems a bit thicker to me though. Common wisdom seems to be that you need 6-8mm cable. The thing is my fridge does the same directly connected with short cables. Perhaps you want to do that check first before you change cables. It could be your battery.
    The battery is about 7 months old but it is a Raylite, one can expect anything from them nowadays.

I think I should try it in the Disco, it has a dual battery system with the fridge next to the battery at the rear of the vehicle.
    Andre Botha

Default At last

At last my fridge is working properly. It seems there were actually two problems, which made diagnosis difficult:

1. The battery was faulty. It would take and hold a charge, but the moment a load was put on it, the voltage would drop sharply. Deltec replaced the battery under warranty with a Varta DC Professional. It is only 75ah versus the 80ah I had before, but as it is newer technology it is actually stronger. Or so they say.

2. The fridge was also faulty. The whole power module was replaced as it drew too much current when the compressor kicked it. That is why it would also not work on other batteries.

I now have at least 48 hours run time on the fridge when set to 0 degrees.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2