Waeco Poly Fuse Problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Waeco Poly Fuse Problem

Has anyone had problems with their Waeco fridge's poly fuse?

I have a CF50 which runs perfectly off 220v and off 12v when the engine is running. When using either starter or deep cycle aux battery, the compressor starts and runs for less than one minute before the red error light starts flashing. I have also tried the fridge directly connected to batteries in two other vehicles. The same problem.

The dual battery system in my Pajero was installed by Safari Centre using National Luna gear, thick cable and Hella connectors. The aux voltage at the back with the fridge connnected and the engine off, ranges from 12.4v to 11.9v after 4 hours. The starter battery voltage is also around 12.5v rising to 14.6v when the motor is running. The battery protection setting on the fridge is set to LO which means it should be happy with 11.1v.

The fridge has been to the agents twice, but the probelm still exists. Google informs me that there are many instances similar to mine on the Australian 4x4 sites where the polyfuse was the problem. Apparently there was a faulty batch a while ago. Replacing the fuse sorts the issue out. I asked the agents to check and replace the fuse the last time. From the job card it does not appear as if it was done.

Does anyone have the same problem where the compressor runs for a few seconds and the red error light then comes on?
    ----------------------------------------------
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB
    OME suspension, Geolander G12 tyres, NL dual battery system, Windcheater roof rack, Mellville & Moon seat covers

Our CF50, bought about 2005, also developed this problem in December in the hot Kgalagadi. The error LED would even go on when the engine was running, but not when running it from 220V AC or 24V DC.

I sent it in through Outdoor Warehouse and got it back in about a week. No job card or anything. When I tested it, it still did the same thing. So I searched the web and found this polyfuse problem that Waeco had for a while.

So armed with this knowledge, I wrote a detailed letter describing the problem and what I found on the Internet, that it might be the old polyfuse problem. I also mentioned that Waeco did the reparations for free. I then printed this in duplicate and stuck one copy to the outside of the fridge and added the other copy to the job card and handed it in at Outdoor Warehouse again. This time it took longer, about 3 weeks, I think, but it is working again and they did not not charge me a cent. Their job card did not mention anything of what they did though.

So needless to say I am happy with my fridge again and happy with the service.

John
    Last edited by FreeBSD_Dude; 2012/03/18 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Forgot a detail.

Default Not so happy

My experience has been less happy. As mentioned, the fridge has been in twice for the same problem. This last time it cost me R700 and the problem is still there. Also it took 6 weeks with the fridge being returned in a disgusting state with black mould on the inside and on the outside under the cover. And stinking. It had obviously been standing wet for weeks. Surely it should have been checked before delivery.

What if a good alternative to the CF50 works and has better after sales service?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeBSD_Dude View Post
    Our CF50, bought about 2005, also developed this problem in December in the hot Kgalagadi. The error LED would even go on when the engine was running, but not when running it from 220V AC or 24V DC.
    I sent it in through Outdoor Warehouse and got it back in about a week. No job card or anything. When I tested it, it still did the same thing. So I searched the web and found this polyfuse problem that Waeco had for a while.
    So armed with this knowledge, I wrote a detailed letter describing the problem and what I found on the Internet, that it might be the old polyfuse problem. I also mentioned that Waeco did the reparations for free. I then printed this in duplicate and stuck one copy to the outside of the fridge and added the other copy to the job card and handed it in at Outdoor Warehouse again. This time it took longer, about 3 weeks, I think, but it is working again and they did not not charge me a cent. Their job card did not mention anything of what they did though.
    So needless to say I am happy with my fridge again and happy with the service.
    John
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB
    OME suspension, Geolander G12 tyres, NL dual battery system, Windcheater roof rack, Mellville & Moon seat covers

Same problem with my fridge. Customer feedback from Outdoor warehouse was pathetic. Hope it is sorted now as I need it for Easter. How do I check for this fuse and where can I buy a spare one?

Default Polyfuse location

It seems to be soldered onto the power supply circuit board. Apparently it needs to be changed from 5amp to 9amp according to some of the Aussie sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaap View Post
    Same problem with my fridge. Customer feedback from Outdoor warehouse was pathetic. Hope it is sorted now as I need it for Easter. How do I check for this fuse and where can I buy a spare one?
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

I have exactly the same problem. I used an Engel on an extended trip through Bots with no problem. After I bought the Waeco, the problem started. I took it to Outdoor Warehouse in Tygervallei and they had the power supply replaced under guarantee, with no improvement. I then led a thicker cable from the battery, still the same. The Waeco is out of guarantee now and I hoped that somebody could tell me how to bypass the thing. As it is now, it is a major frustration and I am 340 km from the nearest agent. PLEASE HELP!
    Danie Gerryts
    NSRI Station 31

2013 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T
    1995 Isuzu 2.5 4X4

Poly fuse?
    Could it be a thermal switch, similar to what they have on fridge compressors?
    Or, is it more like a re-settable breaker?

Only thing i can think of is that perhaps the amp rating is too low as stated above.

Running off mains or 24V draws less amps, also 12V while engine is running (14V).
    When only on battery volts drop to below 12V and amps goes up.

Have you tried setting the battery protection to Med to see if it does make a diffrence?

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Here is a comment from the ExploreOz forum

Spoke to a mate who's a service agent for Waeco and showed him this post. The problem is the Poly-Fuse (thermal fuse) within the control unit. Most Waeco fridges have a 5amp fuse in there which is soldered to the circuit board. Once they play up they progressively get worse, especially on hot days. He has replaced about 30 or so since Christmas last year!
    Although the LOW setting will cut out at 10.7V the compressor willl actually run at 9.7V. When the fuse plays up it melts internally causing a break in connection and therefore cuts power to the compressor, cooling fan will still run. It then connects again and restarts the compressor.
    They are now replacing them with a larger 10amp polyfuse.
    The reason why it didn't play up when plugged into 240V is because when running of 240 it goes through a power converter down to 24v. On 24V electronics run much cooler as opposed to 12V where electronics run much warmer.
    He also told me that when the fuse plays up it will try to draw heaps amps just prior to cutting power and could be monitored with an ammeter.

I gave him my CF40 and he is going to put one of these heavier duty fuses in mine even though mine still works fine as he reckons it's only a matter of time before it does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    Poly fuse?
    Could it be a thermal switch, similar to what they have on fridge compressors?
    Or, is it more like a re-settable breaker?

Only thing i can think of is that perhaps the amp rating is too low as stated above.

Running off mains or 24V draws less amps, also 12V while engine is running (14V).
    When only on battery volts drop to below 12V and amps goes up.

Have you tried setting the battery protection to Med to see if it does make a diffrence?
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

I have tried the MED setting. No improvement.

Poly fuse?
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Call Pierre Fourie at Moresport in Boksburg (Gauteng) and tell him about your problem - he works on the Waeco fridges that O/Warehouse send to them. He should be able to tell you what the cause is, and maybe recommend a reputable repairer in Cape Town or arrange to have the fridge sent to him directly via O/Warehouse??

Pierre's contact details: (011) 917 2636 or 082 334 4179 {hope it is still valid - I had contact with him about a year ago?}
    Last edited by ELU; 2012/03/18 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling...!?!?

I had been in contact with Pierre and Ceric before I sent it in for the last session.

Quote Originally Posted by ELU View Post
    Call Pierre Fourie at Moresport in Boksburg (Gauteng) and tell him about your problem - he works on the Waeco fridges that O/Warehouse send to them. He should be able to tell you what the cause is, and maybe recommend a reputable repairer in Cape Town or arrange to have the fridge sent to him directly via O/Warehouse??

Pierre's contact details: (011) 917 2636 or 082 334 4179 {hope it is still valid - I had contact with him about a year ago?}
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

This might be what you looking for...
    http://www.fort777.co.za/index.php?m...oducts_id=6029

Great DIY job

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

This thread is worrying me - I bought a Waeco fridge yesterday !!!

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT just for the sake of being accepted by others - DEAL WITH IT !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThysleRoux View Post
    This thread is worrying me - I bought a Waeco fridge yesterday !!!
    You should be OK. It was only a batch of older fridges that are affected.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

This might be what you looking for...
    http://www.fort777.co.za/index.php?m...oducts_id=6029

Great DIY job
    I do not think this is the answer, the problem is not overloading.

Is there no way we can get Waeco to respond to our problems?
    Danie Gerryts
    NSRI Station 31

1995 Isuzu 2.5 4X4

Further progress. I have invested in a CTEK conditioning charger and put the baterry through the whole reconditioning cycle over an 18 hour period. Afterwards I got about an hour out of the fridge before the read light came on again.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Quote Originally Posted by DanieG View Post
    I do not think this is the answer, the problem is not overloading.

Is there no way we can get Waeco to respond to our problems?

+1
    Defender 90 TD5 with steering guard, Warriorworx rocksliders and diff guard, 33' Bridgestone MT, Warn winch, outback roofrack, frontrunner penthouse RTT and awning.
    African Backbone offroad trailer.

I phoned the Cape Town customer care line of Outdoor Warehouse and followed it up with an e-mail. I received excellent response and several phone calls from as far as Jhb. The are adamant that they will fix the problem. I will now take my Waeco to Outdoor Warehouse in Tygervallei when I go to Cape Town soon.
    Here is my correspondence if it can be of help. I am sure they are honest in their customer service.

Dear Danie

Thank you for your email. Regarding the issues that you have experienced with your Fridge, I can only apologise. We have raised these issues with the manufacturer on several occasions. Since 2007 the fridges electronics where changed as well as the power supply.

All I can recommend we do is assess the fridge again and advise if further testing will be needed in our Johannesburg repair centre.

I am aware of the 4x4 forum and do read it regularly. Waeco has been the most dominant fridge in the market for some year and we do take the comments seriously.

Regarding your fridge, please return it to Outdoor Warehouse in Tygervalley, we will have the tested and if we are unable to repair the unit here we will arrange it to be sent to Johannesburg where it can be fully assessed and re-tested. I will also ask the store branch manager as well as the repair centres manager to personally be involved in seeing your fridge through to a satisfactory condition.

Regards
    Ryan Ferreira
    Buyer
    Outdoor Warehouse
    Head Office
    Tel: +27 21 464 5393
    Fax: +27 21 462 2161

a division of Moresport (Pty) Ltd

Danie Gerryts
    NSRI Station 31

1995 Isuzu 2.5 4X4

Thanks for the feedback, Danie

I have been very impressed by the attitude and advice from Pierre and Cedric from Moresports, but somewhere along the line there is breakdown in the service chain.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Progress.

Pierre put me in touch with the Cape Town repair guys. I went through to their workshop where we tested the fridge on the test rig. What we found was that on startup it would pull the battery down to 8 volts which would cause the fridge to go into battery save mode. The whole power supply module was replaced and the fridge now seems better and runs off a freestanding 12v battery.

But it still does not work in the Pajero. So either the 15 month old battery in the car is shot or the wiring is faulty. I am borrowing a friend's battery tonight to see wherther it is the battery. Safari Centre have checked the cabling and found that there is only a .1 volt loss from the front to the rear, so it seems within spec.

What I also learned is that there is a difference between the Aussie and local versions. The fridge with the digital display has a sealed power supply whereas the unit with the row of lights has a discrete circuit board where the polyfuse is clearly visible and can easily be replaced as per the Aussie 4x4 websites.
    2005 Pajero GSL DiD LWB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast