"COBB" Braai

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: "COBB" Braai

Default "COBB" Braai

Ken iemand die Cobb braaier, is dit die geld werd? Ek weet dit is maar klein, maar dit is gwoonlik net ek en die vrou. Ek wil nie altyd my groot braaier gebruik net vir ons twee nie.

My father in law has one. Works very well, but I don't like the taste it leaves on everything.... that burnt paper smell when you use briquettes...
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Cape Town Weather and Imagery

Thumbs up

Mine works fine, I have not experienced the burnt paper smell that Simon refers too. Might have to do with the type of brickets you use.

When I bought mine they did not have the model with the Stainless Steel outer available, but the dam Saleseman convinced me that the one I have (black mesh outside cover) was exactly the same except for the material of the outer layer.

But subsequently I found out that the SS one can be taken apart which makes it easier too clean. I also bought an extra wire grill to use on it and it works great, and there are also other paltes and stuff you can fit onto it.

But buy he SS-outer model rather.
    4.0 Prado VX and SFA Hilux

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    My father in law has one. Works very well, but I don't like the taste it leaves on everything.... that burnt paper smell when you use briquettes...
    Apparently only the compressed briquettes may be used. That is the same that I use on my normal braai (when wood is not availlable) , and I never experianced a paper smell. Is this only apperant to the Cobb braai?

Wink

As I said it never bothered me before.
    4.0 Prado VX and SFA Hilux

My experience, great with chicken (if you really have to do chicken), but I've had no success with red meat.

DASHCAMS AVAILABLE IN THE ONLINE SHOP!
    R1995.00 including courier delivery and Micro32gig SD card.
    EFT and Credit Card payments available.
    Click here to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Apparently only the compressed briquettes may be used. That is the same that I use on my normal braai (when wood is not availlable) , and I never experianced a paper smell. Is this only apperant to the Cobb braai?
    These were the compressed briquettes... The Cobb (as with a weber with closed vents) effectively seals whatever smoke you get in with the food, and the briquettes leave a funny taste, which is why I only ever use charcoal in a Weber

Anyway, it's just a personal thing. I just don't like it.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Cape Town Weather and Imagery

Talking

i use charcoal briquets in my cob. i will never buy another one though, hell to clean, the trough that is.

Default Not impressed

We borrowed a friend's Cobb once to see if we like it before buying one. Fussy operation, difficult cleaning, price counted against it.
    We ended up buying a small stainless steel braai/smoker for 1/4 of the price and it's still doing an excellent job after 5 years. Looks like a little s/s drum on legs with dooden handle on top when closed. Open, it has 2 grids for braaiing, one in each halve. Closed, you can use it for smoking. Available at Outdoor W/H & other camping shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrie View Post
    We borrowed a friend's Cobb once to see if we like it before buying one. Fussy operation, difficult cleaning, price counted against it.
    We ended up buying a small stainless steel braai/smoker for 1/4 of the price and it's still doing an excellent job after 5 years. Looks like a little s/s drum on legs with dooden handle on top when closed. Open, it has 2 grids for braaiing, one in each halve. Closed, you can use it for smoking. Available at Outdoor W/H & other camping shops.
    Got the same thing. Got it from Autozone for R200. Works like a charm.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Angry "COBB" braai

Thanks for the input guys. Went to Outdoor w/h this morning. At +-R1400 with extras I seriously have to reconsider !

Well, one thing I know is that the Cobb is certainly economical on briquettes. I borrowed my dad's one for a weekend camp recently, and when I wanted to put on more than ten briquettes, all the guys there who'd had experience with it told me to take them off again. Six to eight is the suggested number, they say.

I cooked chicken sosaties and some pork chops on it one night and a steak the next. I didn't keep an eye on the steak as I should have, so it was a bit overdone. Must say I'm not convinced that a closed environment is ideal for cooking steak anyway though. The sosaties and pork chops turned out very nice.

I think it depends what you want to do with it. If you're going to use it at home most of the time I'd say a small braai would work just as well. Those little stainless steel ones mentioned earlier seem very nice for the money and you can use them to smoke things too, as mentioned.

I like the closed bottom of the Cobb for travelling. You don't have to clean it before putting it in the car, because as long as it stays upright nothing will fall out of it. Take it home from a picnic, for instance, and clean it there. My dad's one's lid doesn't have a very stable fit though. It's as if the lip around the edge isn't deep enough, but I've noticed the new ones' lids have a much better fit.

Oh, and they won't force you to buy it with all the extras right away , so the "+- R1 400" doesn't fly. And if you do like it people will have suitable birthday and Christmas gifts to give you for at least the next couple of years!

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Ken iemand die Cobb braaier...
    Ek gebruik 'n Cobb die laaste 18 maande al:
    Voordele: Klein en mobiel (neem min spasie op); vleis, wors, hoender, groente is sag en nie uitgedroog nie; kan binne in die tent/huis gebruik word as dit reŽn; Drasak baie gerieflik; perfek vir twee mense; prys redelik as jy nie al die ekstra's koop nie - myne was R699.00 met 'n addisionele braaipan ingesluit op 'n spesiale aanbieding.
    Nadele: Bitter min. Vandat 'BANG' skoonmaakmiddels op die mark gekom het maak dit die skoonmaakproses baie makliker; werk net behoorlik met 'Charcoal' brikette (niks anders nie).

Ek stem saam dat R1400.00 te duur is. Neem aan dat dit die vleklose staal een is.
    2004 TJ Wrangler Sahara (M).
    Conqueror Courage

Default Cobb

Mine works fine, we use ours once a month at competitions. It takes about an hour for food to be ready, the aroma drives averybody around us insane, and we end up with mouth drooling results.

Yes the Cobb is small, we often do a whole chicken (spat cock style), but with a roll or two, we normally feed 4 adults.

I also made the mistake of getting the one with black mesh around outside, (it is a bitch to clean)

Tip: spay all the inside surfaces with spray and cook prior to use, do not use blitz, use the clean burning fuel the Cobb supplies, or get the green Bio Heat burning fluel, from co op.

I have never experienced the burnt paper smell, and only use Charka brickets . Clean with oven cleaner, and a pot scourer commonly found on wifes kitchen zinc (the one with sponge on the one side).

Remember cleaning your Cobb is like cleaning your bakkie after a 4x4 outing, it has to be done.

AB

Quote Originally Posted by Christo View Post
    Ek gebruik 'n Cobb die laaste 18 maande al:
    Voordele: Klein en mobiel (neem min spasie op); vleis, wors, hoender, groente is sag en nie uitgedroog nie; kan binne in die tent/huis gebruik word as dit reŽn; Drasak baie gerieflik; perfek vir twee mense; prys redelik as jy nie al die ekstra's koop nie - myne was R699.00 met 'n addisionele braaipan ingesluit op 'n spesiale aanbieding.
    Nadele: Bitter min. Vandat 'BANG' skoonmaakmiddels op die mark gekom het maak dit die skoonmaakproses baie makliker; werk net behoorlik met 'Charcoal' brikette (niks anders nie).

Ek stem saam dat R1400.00 te duur is. Neem aan dat dit die vleklose staal een is.
    Christo, ja dit is die vlekvrye staal een of die "Premier" soos hulle dit noem.

Prys soos volg: Basiese braaier R749.95
    Wok R249.95
    Frying pan R269.95
    Roast rack R 79.95
    Cook book R 69.95
    ----------
    R1419.75 Drasak R79.95(nie beskikbaar op die oomblik) Ek is nog steeds lus vir hom, en sal seker een gaan koop. Baie lekker kompak, veral vir die Xplorer wat nie baie pakplek het nie.

I have one and havnt looked back. When the missus and I go for a drive I put it in the back of the bakkie and lit it with a whole chicken inside. When we get to whereever we going the chicken is done, and I only have to open the cold beers.

BVR Guest

Hell die Cobs is Koning,

Ek gebruik myne gereeld . Lekker vinnig en maklik. Ons het in die rigtersveld n lekker boudjie daarin gemaal , met groente. So langs die rivier het hy lekker gewerk. Die aand toe ons braai , toe eet die girls lekker terwyl die manne lekker chops en dop gebruik........lol

Ek het een vir hierdie klein opvou Webers gekry en hy werk perfek. Pak ook lekker klein op vir vervoer. Anderdag weer op special by Trade Centre gesien - Dink dit was hier by die R600

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2...eCharcoal.aspx
    Last edited by George; 2007/06/26 at 01:16 PM.

2012 LR Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    2011 LR Defender 90
    2014 Jurgens Xplorer

Disclaimer - Everything I post is my opinion, based on my assumption or experience, might not be factual, don't have to be justified and might differ from other opinions. Deal with it.

George, I have exactly the same one. They work a treat! My old man has tried many times to swap his Cobb for the little Weber.

I like the fact that I can burn whatever material I like, and it folds up nice and compact + its very easy to clean.
    '02 Patrol 3.0Di GL

Default Cobb

What have you done with your Cobb today ?.

Yesterday we participated in a league shoot, as they say ďons praat nie uit die slaapkamer uit nieĒ. So by means of pics, I will rather tell you what we did with our Cobb.

• In the first pic is the start of the day, note the coffee on the brew.
    • Starting breakfast, 6 brickets
    • (Another Cobb accessory) Thanks Cobb, you pay the royalties of this new invention to me.
    I modified muffin cups to fit the Cobb
    • 60 min later
    • Breakfast and coffee
    • 14 Brickets later
    • Look at the terrible mess. (oven cleaner and 20 min later)

AB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast