GPS Tips and Tricks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default GPS Tips and Tricks

I have added this as thread (as a sticky) for all those tips and tricks that keep getting repeated again and again or for those useful things that people have discovered.

This is not intended as a discussion per se or a review etc etc. So please do not post anything here that is not a tip or trick
    Last edited by SimonB; 2008/05/20 at 08:22 AM.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Cape Town Weather and Imagery

Default Slow Map Transfers to GPS

If you find transferring your LARGE mapsets to your GPS takes a long time.......

Put the (usually) MicroSD card into it's adapter and insert into your card reader, and then use Mapsource to transfer the mapsets directly to the card.

On my >600MB mapset the time is about 10 minutes compared to more than 40 minutes when transferring to GPS directly (once I worked out what mapsets were giving me grief)
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Arrow Nuvi 710 tips

Here's some hidden things you can do with a Nuvi710 and maybe others in the Nuvi range:

1. to reset the unit completely back to factory defaults touch the screen in the bottom right corner while you switch it on. You will get warning messages that you will lose all your data.

2. to see satellite details (as for a Quest) touch the bars at the top left of the menu page for a few seconds. Shows you satellite info as well as your current altitude.

More to follow as I discover them.
    Biodiesel - no war required

Default More Nuvi 710 tips

1. Touch and hold the battery icon for about 12 secs to see unit diagnostics screens.

2. Touch and hold the speedometer for about 5 secs to see some more diagnostics about memory usage etc.

joggiej Guest

Default HTC Tytn II

I installed NoniGPSPlotV2.73c.EN.SP.cab which is downloadable for free from the internet on my HTC Tytn II.

It works great for recording tracks off the beaten track.

Afterwards I used http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ to change the saved track to .GPX format which I then uploaded to http://www.everytrail.com/

I then just uploaded resized photos taken with a canon camera to this site and everytrail automatically linked the photo date with the gps track date to know where the photos was created.

I think this is brilliant.

Joggie Jordaan

Default GPS waypoint converter

For those who just can't seem to get their waypoints right

GPS Waypoint Converter
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Default Installing Mapsource from the garmin Website with no prior version of Mapsource

If you have no prior Garmin Mapsource, you can still download the Mapsource update and install that.

Here's how:

1. Download MapSource software updater from Garmin. The current version is 6.15.6
    2. Unpack or extract the content of Mapsource_6156.exe
      downloaded using WinRAR
    3. From the extracted files, run MAIN.msi.
    4. Then, run Setup.exe. Note: The sequence to execute Main.msi and then Setup.exe is important to avoid “Previous MapSource not found!” error.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2009/05/28 at 05:43 PM.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Put the (usually) MicroSD card into it's adapter and insert into your card reader,
    For any SD card user and not just SD cards in a GPS.

By transferring the card a lot you WILL get problems with it at some stage. I found a utility usefull to repartition and format the card to the size it is supposed to be. I tried a couple of others but they managed to bugger up the partitions on the card completely.

Panasonic SD Formatter Ver 2.
    http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/sdfv2000.exe
    http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/form...al_English.pdf
    Johann Bredell

Quote Originally Posted by jbeez View Post
    For any SD card user and not just SD cards in a GPS.

By transferring the card a lot you WILL get problems with it at some stage
    I have 14 cards ranging from 1Gig to 4Gig and never had any problems over the last 3 years with them. For cards I use in the camera I just do a full format of them in the camera on the odd occasion, and for the rest I just do the occasional windows format.

But yes, formatting them occasionally is a good idea, but that applies to any media, not just SD cards
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Hi SimonB,

Upon purchasing a new Garmin GPS, should I expect Mapsource to be pre-loaded (as per the tut explanation), or do I have to purchase via internet or CD from a garmin outlet. Your post #7 refers- I keep getting "Previous Mapsource not found". Should I just continue with your 'corrective' measure, or is there something wrong with my GPS. Thanks for the Mapsource tut.

Purchased the Nuvi 550 and busy setting up.

Thanks, Andy
    Last edited by Andy'nNJ; 2009/03/19 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy'nNJ View Post
    Hi SimonB,

Upon purchasing a new Garmin GPS, should I expect Mapsource to be pre-loaded (as per the tut explanation),
    No... Mapsource is a PC application used for map, route and waypoint management and for transferring these to the GPS. You do not normally get these with a garmin GPS which has maps preloaded on the SD card.

or do I have to purchase via internet or CD from a garmin outlet
    No, download it from Garmin and refer to the post. As a legitimate Garmin owner you are entitled to use the software

Purchased the Nuvi 550 and busy setting up.
    Bear in mind that if you want to manage everything from your PC you'll need to convert your license from a SD card based one to a PC based one. Avnic will help you with this and costs nothing. I would advise just getting used to your GPS for the time being before fiddling around with maps just yet, unless you want to use Tracks4Africa, in which case you have to start using Mapsource.

Thanks, Andy
    Anytime...we're here to help
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Bloubul4x4 Guest

I do have a Garmin iQue M5. I find it very dificult to map a route with waypionts on it! Can you please help with it?

Default Mapsource - install without license key

See here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...ll-without-cd/
    how to download and install Mapsource without having a license key.
    2005 Pajero 3.2D LWB Auto
    1999 Pajero 3.5V6 LWB Manual - Deceased

Quote Originally Posted by macjohnw View Post
    See here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...ll-without-cd/
    how to download and install Mapsource without having a license key.
    Mapsource does not require a license key in the first place! This is a "fix" for not having a prior version of mapsource loaded or when you have no CD... see post 7 in this thread.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Jvanheerden Guest

Default Problems with mapsource !!!

Good day all ,

I have installed and done exactly as in thread nr 7 . Everzthing worked fine but , as I wanted to open map source is gives me an error that says " Mapsource is not a valid file name ". It even does this when I treid to uninstalled this

Please help

How can I download a route from an older version of Mapsource to my Nuvi215W? And where do I go and find it? Do I have to copy/paste the file on the gps?

Default Nuvi 1410

My 1410 started to have problems when I was typing, or trying to type, address details and so on. I was told to recalibrate the screen, however the Garmin instruction did not really work, they omitted a vital piece of information
    To get to the calibration screen, press the top left hand corner of the screen while switching on and voila, you are into the calibration set-up. Once there and calibrating, it sorted out all the typing problems.
    Last edited by DavidW; 2010/10/15 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    David Wolmarans

Ford Ranger 2.5 4 x 4 DC turbo diesel, bog standard (Have now fitted a Burnco front bumper, looking for a snorkel)

hi,

i have downloaded and installed mapsource on the pc. i have also downloaded and installed the namibia map from T4A, but can't open the map using mapsource? any help appreciated

Default T4A and Apple iMac

Hi Simon,

I've been using Garmaps, and T4A, on my PC for a couple of years now. Having bought into Apple, I now want to use this for planning and transfer of routes to my Garmin (Nuvi 500).

Do I use Basecamp for Mac, MapIstall and MapManager for Mac, or Roadtrip for Mac to plan and transfer data to the GP?.

Any pointers, anyone?

Rgds

Andy
    Really old Pajero, but comfortably kitted out!
    1958 MGA

"Of Numbers, and their power to reduce the presumptuous quickly"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast