GPS Tips and Tricks - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by LRO350 View Post
    It seems that I need a course in Basecamp as I hold the same sentiment as ouoomeenoog. I find the "program" extremely difficult to figure out, not even my supersmartteenwithcomputerstudies get it right.
    I got the latest version of Tracks4Africa and need to plot a route through Lesotho and string it together so that I can get useful information from it.
    Can someone please assist as I'm reverting back to paper (old army saying - GPS with hole is of no use, map with hole in it is exactly that!)
    Will appreciate.
    JC
    Should I give you a shout when I do my next BaseCamp training session?
    Toyota Hilux D4D Dual Battery, Long Range Tank, OME
    Echo 4
    Garmin 60CSx, Montana 600, Nuvi 3760LT
    GME GX300 29MHz

A very usefull site to store and read other tracks, is www.gpsies.com. I know it is more set up for hiking in Europe, but if enough people in SA and Botswana used it, there would be a wealth of information for everyone. Download a track, and follow it.
    Landy 111S R6
    Pajero 3.5 S/W
    Freelander (written off, together with my wrist)
    Tiguan TDI 4Motion (SWAMBO's)

Hi LRO350,

I also find Basecamp not that user friendly as Mapsource but if you play around on it, you will find out more how it works. Unfortunately we don't have a user manual or a document on how it works, but have a look at the link below with information and videos on how Basecamp works.

http://support.garmin.com/support/sw/supportPage/display?locale=en_US&topicIDs=%7Be4f5b800-b9c8-11de-73d6-000000000000%7D&topicIDs={6957d5f0-b9ca-11de-73d6-000000000000}

Mandy
    T4A

Quote Originally Posted by mandy View Post
    Hi LRO350,

I also find Basecamp not that user friendly as Mapsource but if you play around on it, you will find out more how it works. Unfortunately we don't have a user manual or a document on how it works, but have a look at the link below with information and videos on how Basecamp works.

http://support.garmin.com/support/sw/supportPage/display?locale=en_US&topicIDs=%7Be4f5b800-b9c8-11de-73d6-000000000000%7D&topicIDs={6957d5f0-b9ca-11de-73d6-000000000000}

Mandy
    T4A
    Hi Mandy, can you please explain all this technical yadda stuff. You have now confused us.

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Hi Ian,

The linked I've send is information and videos on how Basecamp works.

Mandy
    T4A

Hi Ian,

If you copy the "technical yada stuff" to your Browser's Address Bar, you get to the info and videos. Or just click on the hyperlinked "Basecamp" in Mandy's previous post.
    - Hennie Lacock

Isuzu KB300LX 4x4 Auto met allerhande gadgets

Default T4A and GPS challenges

Quote Originally Posted by mandy View Post
    Hi LRO350,

Mandy
    T4A
    Hi Mandy, after doing some extensive "playing around" and calling on friends who state that they use T4A and basecamp, I finally got around plotting my Lesotho route. I then tried to export the routes to my Nuvi GPS, I realised that the computer cable I have does not fit, bought one, no go. Eventually I phoned Garmin support (poor guy) I found that my GPS does not support the function of exporting whole routes - it does however accept the waypoints (although it does have a trip planner functionality). The end result was that as we drove along, my daughter had the task of re-plotting the routes from the map.
    The lessons I learnt were (1) that you must make sure you know what you want your GPS to do and not to trust a salesman (2) without a map you are lost and (3) a sense of humour is very important when you work with basecamp.
    However, we went there and back - had a brilliant experience in Lesotho.
    Regards,

Will appreciate some for of training on Basecamp. Please let me know.
    JC

Some thread on training I criticized why people need gps training etc.Well as they say the wheel turns and I have had to eat my words. I bought a Nuvi 2495 plotted route from KWT to CT ( N2 coastal to Swellindam then N1 to CT) and stop overs for rest breaks.Ya well all went well to CT etc.Return trip hit the home button,wifey not impressed.We left at 00h00 for KWT route took us through the Karoo( Graafranet to PE to G/town to KWT) gps did not follow the route I previously mapped to CT.One hour total rest break time and 14hrs of total time on the road.So swambo and kids did not appreciate my cheerful comment of " at least we have seen the karoo as a family and to top it I offered to give them 10 cents for each buck they saw".Please get gps training on your model of gps.

Craig
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Ouch!

Home button = Destruct. Only to be used in dire situations.

Well in the Karoo not too long ago I carefully entered the co-ordinates of the Lodge destination (we had been driving for about 15 hours at this point heading south) and then an hour later realised that I was totally lost.

Swambo had the last say - Garbage in Garbage out!
    Paul

Hi LRO350,

I am glad the guy from Garmin was able to help you. Please note that when you purchase a GPS unit, make sure the functions you want on the GPS unit is on the unit. If you want to transfer routes to your GPS unit, please make sure that it can accept routes/waypoints.

Unfortunately we don't do Basecamp training. I am not sure who gives training on Basecamp.

Mandy
    T4A

Hi every one, I am new here and sorry for posting on an old thread. I just wanted to share this link http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com/ I have found it really useful as I just started to play around with basecamp and have noticed that there seems to be a few people that struggle with it.

Have a good day.
    Last edited by mkultra77; 2014/11/09 at 12:59 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mkultra77 For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4