GPS Tips and Tricks - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wambuseun I hope you have the latest version of mapsource installed otherwise your new T4A will not display.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

hi,

got it right, just needed to play around with it first.

When I switch my Nuvi 215W on the map is completely zoomed out. I then use the + button on the screen to zoom it in to a more acceptable view but once I switch it off and on again I have the same problem. Anybody that has a solution or tip on how to fix this?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    Hancook Dynapro ATM's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer

Default Problem with Garmin 276 c

Can anyone help me PLEASE.My GPS will not start.I have tried all the rebooting tips and the battery charged and I have tried with it on power as well.When I push on button I can see a faint map and it beeps but then freezes and will not switch off.Only way is to remove all power !Very frustrated !

Try taking it to Garmin's Western Cape office. Just phone them first. I know they centralized their repair centres.

021 788 9015

S34 05.264 E018 29.298

Regards,
    Derick
    Toyota Hilux D4D Dual Battery, Long Range Tank, OME
    Echo 4
    Garmin 60CSx, Montana 600, Nuvi 3760LT
    GME GX300 29MHz

Angry Nuvi 200

Hi Almal,
    Ek het die Nuvi 200, en die ding is besig om my mal & kwaad te maak.Hy het nou al 'n paar keer gevries dan moet jy hom los tot die battery pap gaan.Die roetes wat die ding partykeer bepaal maak my kop deurmekaar, my Nuvi200 se koppie raas?Dit het nog die oorspronklikke map op wat die afrikaans opsie het en dit wys nie Speedtraps nie.Waar my broer ook die 200 het maar net bietjie ouer en syne het nie afrikaans nie maar wys die Speedtraps.Dink julle is tyd vir nuwe GPS of nuwe maps?Ek moet ek belê in Nuwe GPS of kan Nuvi 200 ook offroad maps wys vir byvoorbeeld overlanding?
    Francois Hamman
    1999 Toyota Hilux 2700i Raider D/C 4x4 3RZ-FE
    1992 Mitsubishi Pajero JDM SWB 3SGTE ST205 32x11.5x15 Maxxis Bighorn
    (Project Mitsuyota)
    MAN KRIEKKE JA ....

Take it to Garmin ? They are very helpful !
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo.

And the 200 isn't such a bad GPS at all, has more hidden functions than the 205 and 215. A frined of mine create tracks together with google maps on his 200, which the 205 and 215 can't do.

I'm using a Nuvi 500 with the topo loaded on SD! Can I just add M4A on SD and will both work from SD?
    Thanx
    2014 Pajero GLX (Tough Dog Suspension, Stofpad Protection, Dual Battery......etc) Conqueror Conquest

Hi,

Yes you can have both T4A maps as well as your Topo maps on your SD card.

What you need to do is to select both mapsets in Mapsource when transferring them to your SD card, provided you have the Topo maps on your PC.

If not, then you will have to transfer the T4A maps to the internal memory of the GPS to ensure that you don't overwrite the Topo maps on your SD Card.
    Last edited by Erin T4A; 2011/08/14 at 04:18 PM. Reason: steps won't show

Reply to LouisXander on Nuvi 215w:

The Nuvi 215w cannot import routes (see http://www.garmin.co.za/prod_detail....bcategoryid=11 for specs)
    Last edited by Anja T4A; 2011/08/15 at 09:01 AM.

Default Installing T4A

Quote Originally Posted by wambuseun View Post
    hi,
    i have downloaded and installed mapsource on the pc. i have also downloaded and installed the namibia map from T4A, but can't open the map using mapsource? any help appreciated
    Was your Mapsource closed when you installed T4A? If not, restart your PC.
    Once you've installed both T4A and Mapsource, simply open Mapsource, go to VIEW - SWITCH TO PRODUCT and you should see T4A listed in the list of maps.

Who can help? A 205W, I need to find a load of addresses all on street corners without any having street numbers. ie ℅ this and that street.
    Welcome Anja.
    Thanks
    Duncan
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo.

I have a Juno PDA with a built in GPS device. It is a fantastic item. I loaded ArcPAD onto it. With this program I can load shapefiles and create excellent maps. Getting shapefiles is sometimes tricky but with open source and freeware it is doable.

Does anyone know if it is possible to load a program onto a PDA such as this one that operates as a navigation tool such as a garmin-type program?

I've had a Nuvi 1410 for a fair while and it started giving me all kinds of hassles. So I decided to connect it to my Mac laptop as per normal and update the operating software, the speed camera's as well and see how we get on. Well, there was a operating system update but that's all. Tried all sorts and eventually gave up and phoned Avnic Trading in Capricorn Park.
    Turns out that Garmin took them over earlier this year. The guy I spoke to told me that I couldn't have done any software updates as there are no longer any available. Likewise with the speed camera's.
    These are all subscription services now and if my Garmin is giving me hassles, to book it in via one of their dealers. I was very amazed as I got the distinct impression that the whole company attitude has changed. The attitude was also that if I didn't like it, it was bad luck as the company has new rules and operating methods.
    So, I sold the Garmin and bought a new Tom Tom. Just a fairly basic (Start 25)one and so far I've used it for about a half hours worth of driving. I also connected it up to the laptop and updated the maps and speed camera data. Very easy and very quick. Again, though, speed camera's and map updates are a subscription service.
    Does anyone here use or have any knowledge of the Tom Tom units. Any comments for or against or any tips and tricks?
    Be interesting to hear your thoughts and comments.

My daughter has a cheap Tom Tom in Europe and finds it excellent.
    Paul

Bought my wife the TOM TOM XL, was a Groupon Deal, she loves it, yes subscribed to the camera updates, it is super fast, and will she not go anywhere without it.

I think with Garmin, you need to be selective now, as somewhere else it was mentioned that your normal Street models, Nuvi's, cannot read TOPO and T4A I think, so why pay more for a Garmin if you can get a just as good, if not better TOM TOM.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein Jack View Post

I think with Garmin, you need to be selective now, as somewhere else it was mentioned that your normal Street models, Nuvi's, cannot read TOPO and T4A I think, so why pay more for a Garmin if you can get a just as good, if not better TOM TOM.

Jack,

T4A works perfectly on the Nuvi range. In fact we have a few of the newer generation Nuvi's (released after 2011) in the office and haven't had any issues. What you do need to know is that the Nuvi range is made for city navigation, i.e. you won't get the same features as on, for instance, the Montana (hence why the Nuvi range is a lot cheaper).

W.r.t. TOPO maps, you are correct. The following from the Garmap website:

"Garmin`s new PND range* and future PND products produced from 2012 onwards have not been designed to support the
    Garmap Topo & Rec map product: *nüvi 30, 40, 50, 2495LT, 2595LT, 3490LT, 3590LT, nüLink! 2390"

Regards,

Anja

I find the tom tom to be superior in terms of usability, friendliness and after sales service but it's only adequate for city to city use and street navigation.

Garmin's trump card is the superior maps it can use.

If T4A and Topo maps are made available on tom tom and others, Garmin will be in trouble very quickly!

Ok, so I've used the Tom Tom Start 25 for a day or two now and so far so good. The noticeable bit for me is the user interface. Very easy and very quick. Also, the start up when I get into the car and switch on the ignition. The GPS is on immediately. Unlike the Garmin that went through a sequence and then had to load the maps. The switch between 2D and 3D views is also very quick and easy. The speed camera thingy also works very nicely. Now, I gather one can put in a micro SD card. So, a bit of homework is required and then see if I can slide in the T4A micro SD card and have my bread buttered on both sides. The only little nag at the back of my head is servicing and repairs. Where are the SA agents offices? What is entailed if something goes wrong? But, right now all is working very nicely. Oh yes, I connected the GPS to my laptop and logged on and registered with MyTom Tom and it did a map, speedcamera and operating system update. all very easily and quickly and the GPS is still working perfectly as well.
    So, would I recommend it to anyone? It's a bit early yet but I must say that so far it's very nice. Mapping is proving to be very accurate so far as well. Granted I've only used it in town driving but maybe over the weekend I'll take a drive up to Wuppertal and along the mountain a bit. We'll see.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast